Comics How is BND moving at your store?

These kind of guys actually embarrass me a little. I love taking my stack o' comics to a local coffee shop and taking a long lunch every wednesday. In fact, my co-workers playfully groan that it's Comic Book Day. But lately, one of these guys has started coming to the same one that I do. He actually makes me cringe a little that I'm reading the same thing that he's talking (and by talking, I mean *****ing) about. I mean, I love 'em, and have for 30 years. But you can love your Spider-Man, just don't LOOOOVE your Spider-Man.

The place I go to is Silver Age Comics in Queens NY, they got a few issues of the 1st arc, but only about 2 or 3 copies of the newest issue (#549).

Tommy B's thoughts on bad mouthing the bug:

http://www.marvel.com/blogs/Tom_Brevoort/entry/1037

I take it as buisness solely for the sake of profit vs. buisness for both profit and love of the industry.

He has a point. I mean, hy try to throw away your money to sound "cool"?

The OWNER of my LCS doesn't discourage me from buying anything...nor do his employees. However, when I drop of add or asl about a book, I usually get a "Yeah...alot of people seem to be tired of Runaways being so late", or "You're the third person to add Crawlspace to your pull list today, I'm going to have to read it myself", or "I wouldn't read it, but, then again, I'm still a Gwen Stacy fan."

I wouldn't go to a comic shop that blasts me for my taste in books. That's like going to an uppity hippie music store and buying anything anyone's actually heard of. You know that they'r egoing to laugh at you and tell you to buy some underground, creepy- emo-punk-rebel- political -goth- Beatles- wannabe- crap. Why bother?

From what I understand about collector mentality, people going into somewhere like a comic store have a set budget they're willing to spend. As long as they find "acceptable" merchandise to spend it on they'll almost always spend that fixed amount so it just depends on what you're buying.

Personally I don't speak to people in my LCS too much as I can't really relate to the average comic fan on too many levels, but I don't mind hearing an opinion whether unsolicited or not. I always thought catching a little @hit for what you like keeps you honest.

The AID's comment sounds a bit much and I tend to think Tom either made it up or the two people knew each other and we're just giving a friend some @hit. I've never seen that type of behavior anywhere, but Tom's comment about the recommend listing was just bull@hit. If you don't like something you shouldn't recommend it just because you make money off it. It's better to have a customer's confidence and loyality then to make a small sale today. I guess this applies to marvel's current treatment of us nonscabs. They figure it's cool to not take our intelligence or value of a good story into account because all they see when they look at us are dollar signs. They'd rather have newer fans then loyal ones who demand a good tale, the newer fans with less taste are much easier sells in the long run.

I live in NYC, I pop by a shop by the name of Jim Hanley's Universe. They have also have many, many... copies of OMD and BND as well as Swing Shift (what is this book about anyway?) I wasn't expecting them to have so many and was thinking that the planned response to it would only be confined to us that come here to post our grave disappointment with it. :woot:

But it really is happening here and every where else, hopefully Erik Larsens words and the seemingly slumping sales will fix this or..... is it all part of the plan? If not, maybe JQ can borrow the talented Mr. Geoff Johns from DC? He's been quit good at cleaning up continuity messes, he's doing some great stuff with JSA and Booster Gold as of late. :cwink:

I honestly don't think the title is moving as well as Marvel might have expected. I'm not an expert when it comes to these kind of matters but, the title doesn't seem to be selling EXTREMELY well. I think it's doing decent. Like I mentioned earlier, Midtown Comics has a ton of copies left and hasn't been sold out yet.

Each issue of Messiah Complex sold out almost immediately so I'm just using a series like that as reference.

Even if the numbers stay the same, or drop just a little bit, Marvel will feel that they have achieved the status quo that they want for Spider-Man for the new readers that they hope to gain/keep many years down the road after when we're all being spoon fed pablum in the old folks homes...

This was done for the long term effect.

:csad:

^ They might as well change Pepsi now too, make it more like baby formula that is healthy for infants...since many of the customers that support it may be dead in the upcoming years someday. :whatever:

I really DO NOT LIKE Marvel's fix it for people 30 years from now approach. We're not all being spoon feed, or even NEAR being spoon fed, quite yet.

Marvel still has customers now that WANT to read spidey, and not the rebooted fixed alternate history version here that we have now. :csad:

Just got back from my store. I did a count and saw 3 of part one, 8 of part two, 8 of part three, 7 of part four. Not moving too well.

Because he's letting his emotions get in the way of his business. To me, that is the height of stupidity.

If he can afford to protest it, then by all means, he should go ahea d. As I mentioned, his shop makes plenty off card game tornaments, manga, and other comics.

Exactly... while he may tell people that he doesn't like it personally, he should still pimp comics to everyone who might be looking for them, whether it's BND or TMNT or Archie...

NOT advertising ANY comic book is just bad for the industry, and a poor business approach.

A bit melodramatioc there. It's not like he won't allow anyone to buy it. However, if they ask if it's worth a purchase, he'll tell them no. No different than what critics do, no different than what any other retailer would do, and no different than what he does with Rob Liefeld drawn comics. Definitely not harming the industry.

And if that's the reasoning, I'm all with you. Honestly, I think that's what's going on there, since CBS's aren't exactly a gateway to excessive wealth. I can't imagine an owner badmouthing any product (that he's actually already bought) except he knows he's pandering to someone that he knows hates it. I see it in my shop too. Some guy comes in complaining about Bendis or OMD or whatever, and they nod their head and agree and say how stupid it is and as soon as the guy leaves, they wink and say they actually enjoyed whatever it was. (Of course, they could be pandering to me ;) )

Could be, but I mostly doubt it since we've agreed and disagreed on different comics books in the past.

If he can afford to protest it, then by all means, he should go ahea d. As I mentioned, his shop makes plenty off card game tornaments, manga, and other comics.

Well, in general, if someone can afford it, they should do anything they want (within the law, of course.) But that same freedom applies to me to say he's a jackass and deserves it if his personal sales suffer. I love to see guys like that (whether it be coffee shops or comic shops) go out of business.

But were not talking about whether it's allowed. I absolutely think he's allowed to. I mean, it's his freakin's store. But I would never give him my business. Not one cent, if I felt I was being condescended like that. Lot's of outlets, including online.

Could be, but I mostly doubt it since we've agreed and disagreed on different comics books in the past.

Not sure what you're referring to here, but it's good to agree from time to time.

If he can afford to protest it, then by all means, he should go ahead. As I mentioned, his shop makes plenty off card game tornaments, manga, and other comics.

A bit melodramatioc there. It's not like he won't allow anyone to buy it. However, if they ask if it's worth a purchase, he'll tell them no. No different than what critics do, no different than what any other retailer would do, and no different than what he does with Rob Liefeld drawn comics. Definitely not harming the industry.

If he wants to protest it AND he can afford it, then he shouldn't order ANY Spider-Man comics and tell his paying Spider-Man customers to go buy them somewhere else.

And as I stated in my previous post, he can tell his customers that he doesn't like it if they inquire about it, but he shouldn't dissuade them from buying it if they want to. THAT is what I meant by a poor business approach.

Your original comment was that he "doesn't want to seel them", so if he really feels that way, he shouldn't buy them. He does not sound like a good retailer to me.

According to the owner of my local shop, he will not order as many copies. They are not moving as many as they had previously sold. Some of his customers bought BND for the first few issues, but are now dropping it off their list. This is coming from the biggest shop out of 3 of them in Toledo. Locally here it is a disaster, but at least others are picking up different titles instead.

Today My lcs had atleast 10 copies left over from earlier in the week.
And we're talking about late on Saturday which is the second busiest day of the week.

My comic shop still has alot of copies of BND part 4. I guess alot of people aren't buying them, although a few weeks ago I saw a guy pick up one of the Issues of BND (I'm not sure which one) and buy it.

I was talking about #550.
BND pt 5 if you like.

Well...since i am not buying this new Alternate Spider-Man series Joe created...i picked up Wolverine: Enemy of the State TPB's Part One and Two this past weekend.

Good Story!!!!

And great art!

JRJr rocks...tho we already know that! :cwink:

While it stinks to not be able to read about my favorite hero anymore, it IS freeing me up to buy some other stuff.

Talked to the owner at the store I go to and so far he hasn't seen much of an impact. A lot of people are complaining about the recent changes, but he hasn't seen the impact as far as sales or pull lists go. His opinion is that a lot of people are going with a "wait and see approach". In other words, being patient but hoping a story correction is made soon. People are looking to drop, but don't want to rush it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"