How is Checkmate?

Binker

Superhero
Reaction score
I couldn't get it today (if I can't get it tomorrow, then its next week) but I wanna know how was everyone's thoughts on it?

I thought it was really good. Familiar characters in new roles, and a pretty interesting theme of checks and balances going throughout the issue.

It's got the same sort of tone of OMAC Project minus a few brightly-clad superheroes, so if you liked that you'll probably like this.

i dont like the fact that they kill

It was all right, I enjoyed the issue when I bought it. I'll continue to buy the series an see if i'll still read it though...

Assassin said:
i dont like the fact that they kill
I don't see why; they're a government agency, not the JLA or something. You might as well get mad at the cops in Gotham Central for having to use guns. The two people that have been shown killing aren't even superheroes. And Alan Scott did say that he wanted minimal loss of life.

fire slited some ones throat

Ah, didn't see that.

Well, I still don't understand why it should be a big deal. Of course it's significant, but they're a legally-sanctioned government squad sent to take down a bunch of cultists and terrorists. The primary argument against superheroes killing is that it would be them taking the law into their own hands. These people aren't taking the law into their own hands because the law is on their side; in fact, they are upholding the law by doing what they're doing.

Okay
hump.gif

Isn't there an official thread for the book? Just asking...

I decided to not get this book. It just screams of a SHIELD rip off if you ask me.

hippie_hunter said:
I decided to not get this book. It just screams of a SHIELD rip off if you ask me.

I agree, hippie hunter. :)

But I'll still check it out like I said.

I'll be picking up the TPB! :up:

I like comic Black Ops and I missed series like Suicidie Squad and Checkmate. A welcome return.

Assassin said:
dont dry hump me nikka

Only a hndful of guys including my self are allowed to mock Jplaya, apologize now.

hippie_hunter said:

yeah but unlike shield it has its own book. but now that dc is doing it marvel will comeout with theirs.

Assassin said:
fire slited some ones throat

in case u didn't know fire used to be a spy working undercover in the U.S. before she joined the league.

GoldenAgeHero said:
yeah but unlike shield it has its own book. but now that dc is doing it marvel will comeout with theirs.

That be great.:up:

Only it would probally be a half assed effort.....:(

I was debating on whether to pick this up or not. I'm a big Count Vertigo fan, so how was he written?

I thought it was excellent, this is Rucka's forte - espionage and the politics that controls it all.

Yes, it is similar to SHIELD, but I see nothing wrong with that when it's done this well. It's not like Marvel never borrows ideas from DC.

As for Fire, I get the feeling that she his having some inner conflict about the killing she has to do and that it will be brought up in the future.

2/4 stars. Kicking off a book like this is a challenge. How can a writer organically work in the who's who? Turns out just give us a two page spread and tell us. Ah, it worked in the context of the story, I guess. It was good, not great. I'll gladly give it two more issues.

it just had to have a guy in an eye patch didnt it...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"