How Many Billion Dollar Films Will Disney Have in 2017?

DarthSkywalker

Your Most Aggro Pal (he/him)
Reaction score
Last year Walt Disney Motion Pictures became the first film distributor to have four films gross a billion dollars worldwide in one year. Captain America: Civil War, Star Wars: Rogue One, Finding Dory and Zootopia. The Jungle Book came up $33.4m short of making it five. They also became the first studio to have five films gross $300m domestically. Those five films mentioned above.

As crazy as it might sound, it looks as if they have a real chance of breaking both of those records this year. Their major releases start in March with BatB, and go as:

Beauty and the Beast
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
Cars 3
Spider-Man Homecoming
Thor: Ragnarok
Coco
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

So the question is simple. By the end of 2017, how many billion dollar films do you think Disney will have?

For sure: Beauty and the Beast, Guardians of the Galaxy, Star Wars and Cars 3.
Maybe: Thor Ragnarok, Pirates.

SM: Homecoming doesn't count. Disney is not the distributor, all earnings will be for Sony.

Universal won't be the greatest competitor this year. Only movies I see crossing 1B are Fate of the Furious and Despicable Me 3.

Last edited:
Damnit, I totally forgot Spider-Man: Homecoming is being distributed by Sony. They seem to have nothing to actually do with it besides that. :funny:

Well no one better vote 8. :o

The 3 that I'm most confident with:

Beauty and the Beast
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Beauty and the Beast, Guardians 2 and Star Wars are pretty much sure bets to pass $1 billion.

Thor: Ragnarok is likely to if it really delivers.

I think Cars 3 and Pirates 5 passing a billion will ultimately depend on how good they are.

The only one from that list (excluding Spidey) that won't happen is Coco passing $1 billion. It's not a sequel. At best, it could do Inside Out numbers.

Hopefully Star Wars, Guardians and Thor.

The rest are all meh (and like it was said up thread, Sony is earning for Spiderman)

Damnit, I totally forgot Spider-Man: Homecoming is being distributed by Sony. They seem to have nothing to actually do with it besides that. :funny:

Well no one better vote 8. :o

Not that it was actually ever going to hit a billion.

3 for certain. Guardians, B&B, and The Last Jedi. The others, I'm not sure on. I don't think Cars has quite the cross appeal to hit that high number. Pirates, who knows. Has the world cooled on Johnny Depp? Remember, Alice was also a billion dollar movie. Alice 2 made much, much less. Thor? No. Coco is an unknown quantity at this time.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi; Guardians Of The Galaxy 2; and Beauty & The Beast I think will most likely each take in at least a billion at the BO.

Thor: Ragnoroc and Pirates of The Caribbean 5 might if they can recapture the quality of the first films. Otherwise, I predict they'll be successful but fall short of the $1billion mark at the BO.

I don't think that Cars has the same level of appeal as it did when the first one came out. Cars 3 might do well, but I don't think it'll do as well as the original, let alone break $1billion at the BO.

3 or 4. But I'm 100% sure only in two - Star Wars and Beauty.

3 or 4. But I'm 100% sure only in two - Star Wars and Beauty.

Yep. I picked 4, because I think they will get 2 out of the rest, but Star Wars and BATB are the two locks.

BATB & TLJ are locks. GOTG2, Cars, Thor & POTC have potential. The overseas market might lift POTC.

BATB and SW8 definitely. GOTG2 is very likely. Cars and POTC entirely depend on quality and Coco is a wildcard. I don't expect Thor to hit a billion, though.

Star Wars is probably the only I would dare bet any money on if I had to. Beauty and the Beast can get there. The March release date and the relatively lack of competition is an advantage. Maybe Guardians, but it's not that common that sequels improve on the previous movie. Usually happens when a franchise been away for a long time (Jurassic World, Star Wars for example) or when you have something that kinda is more than your typical sequel. Like Captain America: Civil War that really was more like an Avengers-movie and inspired by one those big event storylines from the comics. Guardians 2 just doesn't feel like an event-movie in that sense. But I surely won't rule out its chances to get to pass one billion. Pirates feels kinda tricky to predict. It's been awhile now since the last one and Johnny Depp's career has been on a bumpy road in the years since then, which could affect this movie negatively. Could get to a billion but I won't be surprised if it fails to do it. I doubt Cars 3 will get there, although it's another movie hard to predict since it's been quite some time since the last one. But it does have some stiff competition from Despicable Me 3 for example. I doubt Cars 3 even will be the biggest animated movie of the summer. Thor feels unlikely. Coco? Impossible to know at the moment. It's something new and original. The vague descrptions of the story I've seen doesn't exactly scream "one billion dollar hit", but who knows?

I'm confident that BATB & SW:LJ will go over a billion.
The others, not so much.
Can see Guardians, Pirates & Cars ranging from $700m (Cars) to $900 (GOTGV2), whith Pirates somewhere in between

Beauty and the Beast and Star Wars are locks for 1 billion, in my opinion. After those 2 I'd give Guardians of the Galaxy an 80% chance, and Thor a 60% chance.

Definitely Star Wars and Beauty and the Beast, GOTG Vol 2 will be very close if not pass a billion. Pirates of the Caribbean will also come close, Thor will do good but not a billion, and cars has no shot at a billion. Coco I don't know yet.

GotG 2, SW VIII-TLJ are sure, maybe BatB. If word of mouth is great then Ragnarök too

Star Wars (duh)
Beauty and the Beast
Guardians 2
Pirates 5
and its a stretch but i want to believe, Spidey.

I'd say GoTG vol 2 and Star Wars for sure.

I'd say four. Guardians 2 and Star Wars are absolute sure things, and I figure that of the rest, at least two of them will hit a billion.

why is everyone so sure of GOTG2?
Can see it being big, but $1b is by no means a lock

No records broken this year, but Disney probably have a better chance in 2019. With movies like Star Wars 9, Avengers 4, Frozen 2, Toy Story 4, The Lion King and more it looks possibly like a year I wonder if Disney or any other studio ever will be able to match in terms of box office potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"