The Official Disney vs Warner Bros Thread!

Lord

All Mighty
Reaction score
walt-disney-vs-warner-bros-resultados.jpg

I see that there is no thread for this yet, but considering that these 2 are arguably the 2 biggest media companies in the Cinema industry, i think their rivalry deserves its oun thread.

During the 2000s, Warner Bros controled some of the biggest film franchises of the decade, like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and the Matrix Trilogy while Disney found gold in Pirates of the Caribbean and Pixar properties, but also had a lot of failures or disapointments.

Meanwhile, Disney made a move that may have completelly changed the balance towards their side and may end up with them monopolising the top of the highest grossing films lists for the following years, thanks to buying Marvel and Lucasfilm. WB However, is still trying to find a replacement for their Harry Potter and Batman films, soon needing to do the same for the Tolkien legendarium flicks too.

We even hear news and rumors of Harry Potter spin-offs, a DC Cinematic Universe and another Matrix Trilogy, so WB may yet give a good fight.

Now discuss, which one of these two do you prefer? Which one do you think will get the most successes in the following decade?

Marvel vs DC
Star Wars vs Harry Potter
Wizard of Oz vs uhm, WB has this too, but it's not making anything with it, so i guess the competition would be Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?
Pirates of the Caribbean vs Sherlock Holmes
Indiana Jones vs Mad Max
Tron vs Matrix
The Muppets vs Sesame Street
Alice, Maleficent, Cinderella and other Disney classic live-action remakes vs Tarzan

Then there are also other properties that each one has, Disney having the Pixar library and WB having the likes of 300, Pacific Rim and Godzilla

Discuss...

I know this thread is gonna open up a huge can of worms so both.

If i considered the old Star Wars movies Disney movies, then it'd be a close call, but they weren't Disney movies, so I have to give it to WB.

Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, all the Batman movies, Mad Max, Matrix, Man of Steel, yeah i'm definitely going with WB

Well, I pick Warner over Disney any day. Because, from Disney you pretty much only get family oriented entertainment. Very lighthearted stuff. And often not quite my cup of tea. Warner (and other movie companies) covers a broader spectrum. And while Disney now own stuff like Marvel, Star Wars and other franchises I just can't think of those franchises as Disney-franchises because they didn't create them.

As for who will be most successful in the near future I have no doubt it will be Disney when you look at the franchises they own now. Personally I feel that Disney might be on the way of becoming a little too dominating.

Disney does have Touchstone, which has released the likes of The Rock and War Horse. About Star Wars and Marvel, they may not have created those, but they're still their properties now

Disney wins this for me, but I love WB too. :up:

walt-disney-vs-warner-bros-resultados.jpg

I see that there is no thread for this yet, but considering that these 2 are arguably the 2 biggest media companies in the Cinema industry, i think their rivalry deserves its oun thread.

During the 2000s, Warner Bros controled some of the biggest film franchises of the decade, like Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter and the Matrix Trilogy while Disney found gold in Pirates of the Caribbean and Pixar properties, but also had a lot of failures or disapointments.

Meanwhile, Disney made a move that may have completelly changed the balance towards their side and may end up with them monopolising the top of the highest grossing films lists for the following years, thanks to buying Marvel and Lucasfilm. WB However, is still trying to find a replacement for their Harry Potter and Batman films, soon needing to do the same for the Tolkien legendarium flicks too.

We even hear news and rumors of Harry Potter spin-offs, a DC Cinematic Universe and another Matrix Trilogy, so WB may yet give a good fight.

Now discuss, which one of these two do you prefer? Which one do you think will get the most successes in the following decade?

Marvel vs DC
Star Wars vs Harry Potter
Wizard of Oz vs uhm, WB has this too, but it's not making anything with it, so i guess the competition would be Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit?
Pirates of the Caribbean vs Sherlock Holmes
Indiana Jones vs Mad Max
Tron vs Matrix
The Muppets vs Sesame Street
Alice, Maleficent, Cinderella and other Disney classic live-action remakes vs Tarzan

Then there are also other properties that each one has, Disney having the Pixar library and WB having the likes of 300, Pacific Rim and Godzilla

Discuss...

Disney's Jungle Book vs WB's Jungle Book.

I already greatly prefer Disney. But then throw in Marvel, Star Wars, and Indiana Jones? Not even a contest. :p
Although Warner does have The Hobbit and DC heroes. So there's that

Strange that the more things change, the more they stay the same.

It seems that Disney does better in the film area (the MCU, upcoming Star Wars, the Disney movie properties) while WB does better in other media (television, direct-DVD movies).

This is very similar to the Disney Renaissance period of the early 90s, when Disney was making amazing movies, while WB was growing its television presence.

I think that when it comes to extra properties, they're almost equal. Marvel, Star Wars Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones is as good a deal as DC, Harry Potter, Matrix and Lord of the Rings.

I think that when it comes to extra properties, they're almost equal. Marvel, Star Wars Pirates of the Caribbean and Indiana Jones is as good a deal as DC, Harry Potter, Matrix and Lord of the Rings.

The thing is, Disney has more "sandbox" properties that are not significantly constrained by things like a lack of existing materials and so on. i.e. No more Harry Potter books to draw from, and they are running short of LOTR material. And the Matrix is not yet even close to proven as a go-anywhere franchise yet.

That is true, which is why Disney has the advantage right now

The only thing Disney has that I really like, moreso than WB's stuff sans the Dark Knight Trilogy and Harry Potter series is the Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy. So overall it's WB for me.

I love Harry Potter and the TDK trilogy, but WB frustrates me so much sometimes with regards to how they treat their other properties. Aside from my general affection for the MCU (and respect for the ambition a shared universe entails), Disney also gave me the most important movies of my childhood, so my vote has to go to them.

I abstain from this vote on grounds of favouring neither and it being pointless.

Plenty of theaters at the cineplex for both. I couldn't possibly choose between the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"