Legends How Many Jedi Survived "The Purge"?

James

Built from Lego
Reaction score
A while ago I was on a Wookiepedia binge, opening tabs every five seconds and not reading half of them. While reading about various Jedi I couldn't help but notice a pattern -a whole lot of them survived Order 66. As I began to realize this the amount of Jedi who survived seemed to grow...and grow...and grow!

Seriously, other than the half dozen we saw wiped during the ROTS montage, did any other Jedi actually get killed? I'm exaggerating a little, but how effective was Order 66? If it was at all useful I can only imagine there were a lot of Jedi around prior to The Purge because it sure seems like a huge amount managed to slip through the cracks.

I realize the idea of having a few bad asses duck into the shadows to be hunted down by Vader and crew is awesome. That's totally cool. How many are we talking about though? Because by my way of thinking the more survivors there are kind of decreases their cool-factor, not to mention making the ones who did get killed look kind of weak by comparison.

Does anyone have actual/rough numbers, or will the amount of Jedi before Order 66 just continue to increase as more writers decide to invent another Jedi who beat the odds?

EDIT: I've just realized "The Purge" and "Order 66" refer to two different things. Order 66 kicked off The Purge, but the actual Purge itself carried on for years after as The Empire hunted the remaining Jedi. So I guess my question is two fold: How many survived the initial assault of Order 66? And how many Jedi were still around by say, the time Luke began learning the ways of The Force?

Last edited:
Part of it, yeah. According to Wookiepedia's page on Order 66 "less than a hundred" Jedi survived. So I'm wondering, how many Jedi were there before Order 66 and how many of those 100 survivors were still around by the time of A New Hope? Other than Obi Wan and Yoda, of course.

It's all speculation i guess, since that subject hasnt been touched as much in EU (as far as i know). I remember in The Last of the Jedi series some jedi had made it (and Obi-Wan was able to contact some of them), but eventually many were hunted down by Vader and the Empire and were killed. So who knows how many made it to ANH era. This is the reason why i'm all for a movie between ROTS and ANH. It's an interesting time imo.

Yeah, I like that idea a lot. I enjoyed the Star Wars: Unleashed games and even if they didn't run with that particular story (there's really no need to) the idea of Vader, bounty hunters and The Empire adventuring around the galaxy hunting down Jedi is a pretty cool one.

Yeah, I like that idea a lot. I enjoyed the Star Wars: Unleashed games and even if they didn't run with that particular story (there's really no need to) the idea of Vader, bounty hunters and The Empire adventuring around the galaxy hunting down Jedi is a pretty cool one.

Looking back I liked the Idea that the Force Unleashed went with as far as "hunting" Jedi, I think they should have dropped the apprentice angle, and focused on Vader and the bounty hunters......it would have been awesome to be Vader and/or a squad of bounty hunters hunting renegade Jedi.

Story wise I did like what we got though.

Assuming the numbers of 100-200 are correct, then it's still only a small portion of the Jedi who survived the Purge, but there are no figures, to my knowledge that give the numbers of the Jedi Order prior to the Purge. Assuming there is a few thousand (given there were 212 Jedi in the Battle of Geonosis, and that was largely masters and knights) because there was a wide variety of positions in the Order.

Last I recall, as of Ep II there were 10, 000 Jedi Masters, Knights, Padawans and younglings. So figure how many died in the Clone Wars on the battlefield and how many died in Order 66. 200 survive, many are hunted down by Vader and later his agents. By the time of the OT only Yoda and Kenobi have a plan, and train Luke. There are some othera around, but they are mostly inactive and do nothing until after ROTJ and even until Luke openly begins refounding the Jedi Order.

Well at the height of the war, there was at least 1, 710 Jedi in military positions. But this obviously excludes Jedi who act in other service branches (like those who served in the Jedi Service Corps) and if initiates are included, around 10, 000 Jedi sounds about right.

Given how the Star Wars Rebels trailer sounded, in 5 BBY there may be more Jedi left than we even realized...

That's still in the era of the Purge, so unless there's about 700 Jedi left, I don't think it will contravene what is currently established.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"