The Winter Soldier How much Comedy would you want to see in this film... if any?

I don't understand this groaning about the comedy in the movies. It makes the characters and atmosphere more real in my opinion. I don't know how you all live, but I live and completely surrounded by people who try to make light of things, throw in one liners and in general, just love to enjoy life with a good laugh. It's why I prefer the MCU films over the DC ones, which are just way too dark for me (except for TDK, because at least the Joker had awesome comedic touches)

Hell, my favorite scene in Captain America TFA, was when Steve just kissed his girl, and then was looking at Tommy Lee Jones, and then Jones cried out "I'm not gonna kiss ya!" It was a good, human moment.
Except that you have, in the case of TDW, and band of Evil Elves trying to destroy the universe and kill everyone, this is a serious situation. And yet your constantly throwing in these jokes/gags, many of which aren't all that funny, and killing scenes that should have actual tension. No to mention that some of these pointless comedy relief character took away time that should have been used to develop more important/interesting characters, like Sif, Warriors 3, and Malekith, THE MAIN VILLAIN. Less Darcy and Ian and more Sif please. IM 3 had the same problem. There were times when I'm like "could you people PLEASE take this situation a little more serious, countless lives are at stake." But no, it's one joke right after another. Avengers go the balance down, IM 1 got the balance down, even TFA largely got the balance down. IM 3 and TDW did not.

Alternately, in the climactic battle of the film:
Thor riding in the subway was not funny, and sort of deflated the whole battle scene. We'd already seen him awkwardly handle Midgard before, in the volvo and hanging his hammer. The world is ending, dude! Go topside and fly back to battle or the universe dies. A woman falling against his chest as the subway starts doesn't get any chuckles. We've already seen women fawn over him awkwardly. Get it together, people!

Actually that scene got a lot of laughs when I watched it......

I loved that little moment too Ms. Marvel.

I like the personality the Marvel movies have.

I've seen Thor TDW twice now and i just feel the whole 'too much comedy' thing is grossly overstated. Both times, walking out of the cinema i was scratching my head wondering what all the complaining was about. The movie was funny, dont get me wrong but it had way more dramatic moments than comedic ones imo. With the exception of a scene or two where i thought the humor was a bit intrusive, i thought the humor flowed well.

Compared to movies like man of Steel or Wolverine, yeah Thor had a ton more levity but it was right in line with the Avengers and even the first Thor imo. I'm honestly not seeing what all the fuss is about.

Not much. I'm really against having a ton of it, but that will by no means stop me from watching any of these movies.

Except that you have, in the case of TDW, and band of Evil Elves trying to destroy the universe and kill everyone, this is a serious situation. And yet your constantly throwing in these jokes/gags, many of which aren't all that funny, and killing scenes that should have actual tension. No to mention that some of these pointless comedy relief character took away time that should have been used to develop more important/interesting characters, like Sif, Warriors 3, and Malekith, THE MAIN VILLAIN. Less Darcy and Ian and more Sif please. IM 3 had the same problem. There were times when I'm like "could you people PLEASE take this situation a little more serious, countless lives are at stake." But no, it's one joke right after another. Avengers go the balance down, IM 1 got the balance down, even TFA largely got the balance down. IM 3 and TDW did not.

I got news for you kid, in the real world, when soldiers go to fight, or police officers/FBI/CIA or even in the ER, when dealing with life and death situations, there are often jokes thrown around to help ease the tension. And oh, I don't agree with you, I thought the comedy was just fine. You need to lighten up some, it's just a movie for crying out loud!

I loved that little moment too Ms. Marvel.

I like the personality the Marvel movies have.

Same here. It's why I go to them. I really don't care for movies that are dark and dismal, life is too short to suffer through that crap.

The humor should be as the it was on The Wolverine. Potent and plenty but understated. Less slapstick more dry.

The humor should be as the it was on The Wolverine. Potent and plenty but understated. Less slapstick more dry.

I didn't like The Wolverine, but in terms of how it approaches humor and drama, I agree that it is a good model to follow.

I got news for you kid, in the real world, when soldiers go to fight, or police officers/FBI/CIA or even in the ER, when dealing with life and death situations, there are often jokes thrown around to help ease the tension. And oh, I don't agree with you, I thought the comedy was just fine. You need to lighten up some, it's just a movie for crying out loud!

:up:

It astonishes me how many people don't understand this when they talk about comedy eroding the drama in these movies. Life(and the people that live it) isn't nearly as (melo)dramatic as some folks apparently want these films to be; some of you would be surprised at some of the things people say and do in the gravest of circumstances.

There's just a persistent mentality in this community as of late which more or less states that 'humor = bad; drama = good', without considering context, balance, character or a whole host of other variables. It's getting ridiculous by now; there aren't many humorous moments across all of these films that haven't been scoffed at. TIH seems to be the only film immune to this sort of criticism; the rest have been attacked relentlessly for this supposed off-putting humor. You'd think we were watching the Scary Movie franchise instead of a comic book saga.

Anyway, I don't care how much humor is included per se, I just want it to be fitting and well done.

It's not the humor itself that's the problem, it's how much and how it is integrated into the movie. in IM 3 and TDW, there were two main problems with the humor.
1. A lot of it simply wasn't funny, just irritating. The Earth stuff in TDW was especially painful.
2. It was added to situations that should have been taken more seriously. It kills any form of tension when you have a supposedly dangerous situation and yet it's just one joke right after the other. Thor 2 was called THE DARK WORLD for goodness sake, the word DARK is in the freaking title. Malekith was trying to destroy the universe and everyone in it. Having constant not very funny comedy doesn't fit with that scenario, it causes tonal whiplash.

As someone who's dad was both in the Army and a cop for forty years, who's grandfather was a Marine and then a prison guard for forty years, and who's close friend is CURRENTLY in the Army, I know that while humor is used, it's not constantly being thrown around in inappropriate situations. Soldiers/cops/etc know when to take things seriously. Also, this is a discussion thread about the movie, where people give their opinions. If you don't agree with mine, that's perfectly fine, but don't be a condescending tool by saying that I need to "lighten up" just because my opinion is different that yours. It only makes YOU look bad. And for the record, I'm have no reason to lighten up because I wasn't angry. I was simply giving my critiques of the film in a calm manner. However, you trying to dismiss them by saying that I need to "lighten up" instead of actually debating the issue like a mature adult does make me a little angry, cut the arrogance. If I had agreed with you, I seriously doubt that you would have said the same thing.

As someone who's dad was both in the Army and a cop for forty years, who's grandfather was a Marine and then a prison guard for forty years, and who's close friend is CURRENTLY in the Army, I know that while humor is used, it's not constantly being thrown around in inappropriate situations. Soldiers/cops/etc know when to take things seriously. Also, this is a discussion thread about the movie, where people give their opinions. If you don't agree with mine, that's perfectly fine, but don't be a condescending tool by saying that I need to "lighten up" just because my opinion is different that yours. It only makes YOU look bad. And for the record, I'm have no reason to lighten up because I wasn't angry. I was simply giving my critiques of the film in a calm manner. However, you trying to dismiss them by saying that I need to "lighten up" instead of actually debating the issue like a mature adult does make me a little angry, cut the arrogance. If I had agreed with you, I seriously doubt that you would have said the same thing.
Now who's the one doing the insulting here? It sure looks like it's you in this situation, especially with that "condescending tool" remark. Seems like you do need to lighten up a bit. This is forum that really has no need for blatant name-calling/potential flaming like you just did.

Last edited:

Sorry, but all of that is nothing more then hearsay to me. I will use my own experience with the military to justify my statements, in that it is my job to work with them, side by side, as a private defense contractor, so in turn, I do know exactly what happens. So you indeed are the one being condescending.

As someone who's dad was both in the Army and a cop for forty years, who's grandfather was a Marine and then a prison guard for forty years, and who's close friend is CURRENTLY in the Army, I know that while humor is used, it's not constantly being thrown around in inappropriate situations.

Really? If that's what you think, then you don't know the military as well as you let on. Not by a long shot.

Soldiers/cops/etc know when to take things seriously.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that taking something seriously means being devoid of humor or levity. They needn't be mutually exclusive, and as others have stated, go hand in hand in some pretty bad situations; more often than you apparently think, for that matter.

My take on this whole 'humor vs drama' or 'light vs dark' debate is that fans are looking at this from the wrong angles. Far too many people, especially lately, scrutinize humor while passively accepting (melo)drama, no matter how heavy handed it may be. This is unquestionably the general mood of the fan community by now; the very existence of threads like this is a testament to that. I'm starting to wonder when we'll see threads asking how much drama a film should have. Seems that people have completely forgotten what melodrama is; I'm surprised that soap operas aren't all the rage these days. Melodrama, to me, is every bit as obnoxious as the most brainless slapstick humor I could imagine; I take one about as seriously as I take the other. I see it in the threads for prospective/upcoming films all the time; the first thing fans beg for in a movie nowadays is a 'dour, dramatic, serious tone with NO KIDDY COMEDY'. The ironic thing is that much of the humor in these Marvel films has been referential in nature, referencing things that most kids and even young adults either aren't familiar with or wouldn't understand.

I'm getting off track here, but my point is that pitting one against the other is a fool's errand, and for several reasons. First of all, there's no reason why they can't coexist and complement one another, and if you're old enough to walk and talk, I shouldn't need to provide examples of this; hundreds of movies have done it before. Secondly, and this is the most important, is that you dismiss context when you're asking for how much humor you want to see in a film. 'How much' is completely arbitrary, when what you should be concerned with is the context and quality of the humor; i.e. whether or not it fits the character(s), the relevance, delivery, setup, paradox, etc. The last piece is one that I find especially disturbing, in that when someone dismisses humor in favor of drama, what they're essentially saying is that drama/seriousness is a free ticket to quality, while humor is inherently substandard. I can't abide that nonsense. No disrespect to the OP or anything, but I feel as if this thread, and the myriad of others like it, is fundamentally asking the wrong questions. I can't understand why an arbitrary amount of humor is more important to some folks than the performances, characterizations, cinematography, dialogue, and a whole host of other things that have a much greater impact on the final product.

As someone who's dad was both in the Army and a cop for forty years, who's grandfather was a Marine and then a prison guard for forty years, and who's close friend is CURRENTLY in the Army, I know that while humor is used, it's not constantly being thrown around in inappropriate situations.

really? so you were physically with them on their deployment? before and after patrols and missions? before a fight? after a fight?

Just because you know a soldier, doesn't mean you know what it's like to be one

Really? If that's what you think, then you don't know the military as well as you let on. Not by a long shot.

You seem to be under the mistaken impression that taking something seriously means being devoid of humor or levity. They needn't be mutually exclusive, and as others have stated, go hand in hand in some pretty bad situations; more often than you apparently think, for that matter.

My take on this whole 'humor vs drama' or 'light vs dark' debate is that fans are looking at this from the wrong angles. Far too many people, especially lately, scrutinize humor while passively accepting (melo)drama, no matter how heavy handed it may be. This is unquestionably the general mood of the fan community by now; the very existence of threads like this is a testament to that. I'm starting to wonder when we'll see threads asking how much drama a film should have. Seems that people have completely forgotten what melodrama is; I'm surprised that soap operas aren't all the rage these days. Melodrama, to me, is every bit as obnoxious as the most brainless slapstick humor I could imagine; I take one about as seriously as I take the other. I see it in the threads for prospective/upcoming films all the time; the first thing fans beg for in a movie nowadays is a 'dour, dramatic, serious tone with NO KIDDY COMEDY'. The ironic thing is that much of the humor in these Marvel films has been referential in nature, referencing things that most kids and even young adults either aren't familiar with or wouldn't understand.

I'm getting off track here, but my point is that pitting one against the other is a fool's errand, and for several reasons. First of all, there's no reason why they can't coexist and complement one another, and if you're old enough to walk and talk, I shouldn't need to provide examples of this; hundreds of movies have done it before. Secondly, and this is the most important, is that you dismiss context when you're asking for how much humor you want to see in a film. 'How much' is completely arbitrary, when what you should be concerned with is the context and quality of the humor; i.e. whether or not it fits the character(s), the relevance, delivery, setup, paradox, etc. The last piece is one that I find especially disturbing, in that when someone dismisses humor in favor of drama, what they're essentially saying is that drama/seriousness is a free ticket to quality, while humor is inherently substandard. I can't abide that nonsense. No disrespect to the OP or anything, but I feel as if this thread, and the myriad of others like it, is fundamentally asking the wrong questions. I can't understand why an arbitrary amount of humor is more important to some folks than the performances, characterizations, cinematography, dialogue, and a whole host of other things that have a much greater impact on the final product.

thumbs.gif

giphy.gif

I have to agree, Visualiza. That was pretty brilliant.

As for real world experience: I almost died once. The whole thing is really weird to think about, but looking back at it now there is one memory that really stands out because this is when I learned that my dad once punched a nun in the face.

I'm gonna let that sink in.

Yeah, so, apparently the reaction to seeing your daughter laid out on a steel table and dying of blood loss is to tell her about the messed up stuff you did as a kid including thing like replacing some senior's lunch with tiny frogs, taking LSD while living in a cave in Nevada and, right, punching a nun in the face. He punched a nun! In the face! I will never, ever get over that.

My point being that comedy not only doesn't bother me in life or death situations, coming from some people it seems natural. That's definitely the case with characters like Tony Stark. Some people were turned off by the humour in Iron Man 3, but it felt like a natural extension to a character who uses things like humour (and women and partying and alcohol) to deal with a lot of emotions. It would feel less natural, I think, for Cap to do so. We've seen with him deal with grief and it isn't the proven Pretend That Stuff Doesn't Effect You By Joking About It While Obviously In Deep Distress method of Stark.

My mom is crying and shaking so bad the doctors make her leave. My dad talks about punching nuns. Everyone's different.

I don't think it has to do with being a solider or not. Yes, of course there are plenty of people in high risk careers who use cooping as a mechanism but I'm not going to question Loki882's experience, because it's just as possible that some people are more "buckle down and get serious" types. It all depends on character, which is why I'm perfectly cool with characters like Stark or Darcy making jokes regardless of the situation. Cap is a more serious guy. Not, you know, humourless, but he's shouldered a lot more responsibility than Stark (and much, much better I might add. Sorry, Tony, I love you but you're a terrible role-model. And sometimes person.) and just in general has a more straight laced personality. I think that should be reflected in the tone of his movie.

no comedy at all. keep this as a James Bond franchise in Marvel. But there needs to be more sex.

Last edited:
no comedy at all. keep this as a James Bond franchise in Marvel. But there needs to be more sex.

That's what I'm talkin about! That's what's missing in the Craig Bond films... Connery was bangin hot chicks right and left in the 60's.

This needs to be Cap, bangin Agent 13, Black Widow and other random chicks he meets.

zero comedy. I want to see at least three deaths (of primary characters) and several full grown men should cry. If one person cracks a joke I'm walking out of the theater. Also I agree with Hypestyle about the sex.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"