How often should you let dogs out for a potty break?

oakzap425

Avenger
Reaction score
My mom brought this question up because one of her coworkers is a dogg sitter. The Coworker said my mom was crazy for letting out dog out every 4 hour to 5 hours. She said she takes them out every 8 to 12?

Which person is right?

Edit:

People keep saying "when they bark..."

So let me revise this. My mother works around the corner from home. She comes home on her lunch break to let the dog out.

The Coworker will be gone for a/b 12 hr stretches.

Considering how often we have to piss, pretty often.

We let Dog Lips out 3 times a day. Anymore, and he's gotta hold it.

our dogs let us know when they need to go, they run up to the door and bark and scratch it. didnt always used to be that way though.... it takes a good amount of patience and alot of carpet cleaner and some training,

Whenever they start barking and pacing near the door.

after everytime they eat

About three times a day roughly ("ruff-ly"?). Most dogs (if well trained and healthy) are able to hold it for a while if they're where they know it's a no-no to urinate or defecate. Older dogs and pups need it more often (although a wise owner would keep paper or Wee Wee pads down in case of any "urgent calls").

Our dogs can hold it for 8-10 hours but I don't like letting them go more than 4-5 hours. We pay closer attention to them when we're home and don't make them hold it unnecessarily, but we also don't let them go in and out over and over again, either.

jag

At the most every 6 hours, there's no reason to make your dogs suffer b/c your a** cant get out of the recliner.

About three times a day roughly ("ruff-ly"?). Most dogs (if well trained and healthy) are able to hold it for a while if they're where they know it's a no-no to urinate or defecate. Older dogs and pups need it more often (although a wise owner would keep paper or Wee Wee pads down in case of any "urgent calls").

QFT

As someone who works w/ dozens of dogs on daily basis I can say this post is dead on accurate

Our dogs can hold it for 8-10 hours but I don't like letting them go more than 4-5 hours. We pay closer attention to them when we're home and don't make them hold it unnecessarily, but we also don't let them go in and out over and over again, either.

jag
The same with my 2 hounds - they go out about every 5 hours.

My mom brought this question up because one of her coworkers is a dogg sitter. The Coworker said my mom was crazy for letting out dog out every 4 hour to 5 hours. She said she takes them out every 8 to 12?

Which person is right?

Edit:

So let me revise this. My mother works around the corner from home. She comes home on her lunch break to let the dog out.

We have 3 Labs. 1 Chocolate 11 YO, 1 Black 3 YO, and 1 New Black Puppy 11 Weeks old.

The 2 Older dogs, we let out in the morning at 8, then we go home for lunch at 1 and let them out, then let them out at 6-7 after work, then let them out before we go to bed.

The puppy we let out in the morning, twice before work. Then he gets to come to work with us, but he usually sleeps. We take him out like 3 times all day at work, but we also take him out at lunch. Then we take him out when we get home after work. Then we take him out about an hour after he eats dinner. Then we take him out before we go to bed. Then we wake up at 3:30 am and take him out again. The the days starts all over again.

With all the dogs, we want feed then unless they do 1 and 2. It teaches them disipline and going on commandish. Also before we feed them, we make then sit for about a minute, like 4-10 feet away from their food to learn disipline.

The way I see it, about letting them out, its not fair to keep them locked up for 12 hour at a time. I wouldn't like it, so we let them out fairly often.

For the most part, it's 4-5 times a day for my dog. Most of the time he lets me know when he has to go, so I generally don't keep track of the exact times I take him out. Usually when he gets up from a long nap or I just want to get his lazy ass out of the house, I initiate it and take him out.

It really varies on the dog. Some can go for 6-8 hours, some need to go out ever 3-4. Generally as puppies they need to go out more often...and they don't always tell you. I believe you should take them outside ever 1-2 hours when potty training. Eventually they should get to where they'll tell you they need to go out....but I digress. It depends on the dog and how they have been potty trained.

I try to let my dog out as often as possible.

You ever been coming back from a concert/show or something and have to piss really badly but have to hold it for quite a long time because your stuck in traffic? That **** hurts and can drive a person insane lol.

I don't care to put my dog through that kind of torture. I swear if you are away from home 12+ hours every day...don't own a dog or any kind of pet that requires you to be there and be responsible for them.

You ever been coming back from a concert/show or something and have to piss really badly but have to hold it for quite a long time because your stuck in traffic? That **** hurts and can drive a person insane lol.

I don't care to put my dog through that kind of torture. I swear if you are away from home 12+ hours every day...don't own a dog or any kind of pet that requires you to be there and be responsible for them.

Agreed. We are lucky we can take the Puppy to work.

How often should you let dogs out for a potty break?
Often enough that it doesn't make a mess on the floor.

The end.

Yeah whenever my dog needs to go out I just let him out, might not have to piss, he just wants to go out. It's not that complicated a process and I don't keep track of it. He scratches at the patio door, I let him out. Problem solved. In the summer I have a doggy door or whatever the hell you call it on the screen door and he just uses that whenever he wants to go out. Before that he actually learned how to open the screen door with his nose when he wanted to go out or come back in. Doesn't know how to shut it though.

I agree with the last part. If a person is away for at least half the day from home, they really shouldn't own a dog. A cat would be more suitable, they are more independent anyway, can take care of themselves better.

I let them out when they come tell me...which they do with a whimper.

Which person is right?

Edit:

4 to 5 is a good timeframe I'd say . . . it's not like it would HURT to let them out more often than they need . . .

dogs can pry stand 8 to 12 hours if you were away for a long period, but I would even say as little as 3 hours would be a good increment to let them out and keep them in good health . . .

i take my chihuahua out 3 times a day morning, at lunch, and night wether she lets us know or not, i've found that if we let her make up her mind when to go out, its normally 3am... lol

Four hours is the standard in our house. That works out to about four times per day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"