The Dark Knight Rises How physically strong are Nolan-verse characters? How do they compare to comics?

Pwz414

Civilian
Reaction score
A young Bruce Wayne does a 240lbs one arm curl/fly. (Ducard, mountain, BB)
Bane drops a row or two in a dangling fuselage to an iron cross between two seats.

But I've heard comic Bruce Wayne can bench press 1000lbs raw! That's almost 300lbs more than the world record! On the same token, I don't think anyone in the world could hoist an armored Ducard the way Bruce does in BB, and I doubt anyone in the world…

(who is Bane's weight) could stick an iron cross from free fall

It’s just interesting to imagine the kind of power one would be dealing with in a tangle with these guys. Just imagine that strength in an agile package!

Leg press 1000.. yes ( I can leg press over 900)

Bench press... no.

edit: Just doing some research and it seems someone has finally benched over 1000 pounds. Keep in mind he tips the scale at 350 himself.

Last edited:
That's why they're comics and not real life.

Comics fluctuated like crazy about Batman's physique and abilities. For example, 630 lbs snapped Bruce's muscles in Dennis ONeil's Venom story. The more recent stories are absolutely ludicrous about Waynes physique and strenght and depict Batman lifting 1000 lbs every morning like its nothing. One of hundreds of reasons why I deeply dislike todays comics

Last edited:
I can safely say that to bench press over 1000lbs raw he would have to look more like hulk than batman. He just doesn't have the mass to pull off lifts of that magnitude. NOW, maybe if we consider his suit is advanced enough that it has some muscle enhancing fibers woven into it that can be used when needed maybe. But then again his suit would probably be too tight and constricting to move well in.
Now, as for Bane catching himself I don't believe that is out of the realm of possibility. As a matter of fact I think I can do it and I weight about 280; you just need the shoulder/back/arm strength to support your body weight and hope your shoulder doesn't tear. You would need to bench your body weight for reps/ shoulder press close to body weight etc in my personal opinion.

I can say that the physique that Batman has would take at least 10 years to develop and would have to be worked on at least 4 hours per day to maintain. The body just does not retain that kind of mass on it's own, it has to be constantly pushed and fed. just my .02

btw most people in movies (especially action movies) are WAY stronger than most bodybuilders/powerlifters in real life. If you look at little things like falling from 30+ ft and landing ok, catching and holding onto a ledge of a building with just a few fingers on one hand, pulling someone else up with one hand (BB) will holding onto a ledge with the other etc....all of these are superhuman feats that almost no one living could actually pull off and they don't even look amazing cause so many average joe's do it in the movies. try to do that in real life...good luck

hopefully they didn't have to use a crane for Bale's pushups...lol

Bale still managed not to dislocate his shoulder when grappling the train.

I agree. It's definitely more realistic that Batman has a supplier for his tech rather than he just gets whatever he needs because, well he just does or creates it all himself, you know cause he really has 48 hours in his day and never sleeps...

Bale Batman also managed to make a massive sonar surveillance machine out of a cellphone and some other stuff and it's largely unexplained. He also managed to keep it a secret from just about everyone (apparently).

One arm curling Ra's Al Ghul off a ledge is pretty effing hard.

His fall from his loft certainly wouldn't have worked out for him and Rachel in real life.

One arm suspending yourself is a lot harder than it looks. Batman has done that a few times in the Nolanverse.

The tech in it is all nonsense. It's workable in the sense that it looks and behaves like what it is, most of them though can't do any of what they're depicted doing on film. Memory cloth flat out doesn't exist. Magnetic grapple guns, particularly the small size of Batman's and the way it's used is not accurate.

The beatings he takes are way over the top for reality (of course).

When he smashed Scarecrows van he would've been injured. Probably wouldn't have been walking on his newly shattered legs.

Movies employ really the same superhuman traits many comics do.

i would say the most realistic thing he did was in BB when he got blown up and fell to the street below and had to call Alfred. That was realism folks...haha

He didn't get blown up. He got gassed by the Fear Toxin. The fire wouldn't have bothered him because he has Nomex in his batsuit.

Last time I checked there wasn't any Nomex on his face so yeah i would say the fire bothered him more than a little. Nomex or not, nobody wants to be on fire and it does damage whether you are wearing a heat shield or not if burning long enough.

Comic book comparisons are asinine. These things are written by introverted, social butterflies. So the characters are fantasized, idealized figures ie. world's greatest detective, can bench press 1000 lbs. raw, etc. I really enjoy Nolan's grounded interpretation, such as making Wayne dependent on Fox as his go to guy for acquiring equipment. It makes the character more relatable.

social butterflies are confident, your thinking of non-butterflies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"