Iron Man How should they do the rings?

Dr.Dude

Sidekick
Reaction score
Now that the Mandarin's been announced as the villain of the movie, the obvious question arises.... how should they do his rings?

Should they go by the original comic story of them being alien technology? Some magic explanation? Should they be technological creations, much like Iron Man's armor(the option I'm leaning towards)?

Or any other number of options, but the basic idea of the topic at hand is obvious.... ;)

as much as I would love for them to Do the Story of the Rich china man walking though the land of spirits tryign to regain controle of what the peoples republic took from him..

I see them doing a Osbourn and having him as a scientist who becomes drunk with power over new weapons he mad for the army and become the villian after killing a few soldiers and his lab assistiants

nanotech to power his rings if not alien tech

They were originally alien tecnology so it cool if they hint to that. The rings themselves could be something Stark Industries built(they built almost anything really) and they got sold to Mandarin.

I'm think Gauntlets, instead of rings have him wear gaunlets with each jem on the knuckles, ala Infinity Guantlet, just a thought.

Here's my 2 cents: Both he and Stark are in a sort of arms race to develope new and better weapons. Stark obviosly goes the armor route while Mandarin(also a scientific genius) has developed machines that generate new forms of destructive energy and has also perfected the means to tranfer this power from his home base in China wirelessly(sp?) through the use of satelites to a combatant on a battlefield(himself) with the rings as conduits. That way you can avoid the whole alien tech or magic and make the rings more believable since they would be tapping and channeling energy rather than producing it themselves(which I find rather hard to buy given how small they are).

I doubt they will even show Mandarin as that Mandarin from comics.

They will use more realistic version, which we haven't seen yet.

They should get Gollum for consultant...

Okay, well either it's nanotechnology or it's just supernatural stuff. What bothers me is the Iron Man pattern of capitalism vs communism (Russia/China), and I wonder how it'll work with IM and the Mandarin...

Darthphere said:
Do we need the rings?

Yes, without the rings the Mandarin will just be an oriental Justin Hammer in the film.

The rings will be technology based with NO magic anything in sight. What are the ten again? I know there's fire, ice and an impact beam.

Never mind, I found the info about his rings here...

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/m/mandarin.htm

That's intimidating stuff. How come everyone from Psylocke to the Yellow Claw has beaten this guy?

lefthand.jpg

closeupleftmiddle.jpg

if he's an arms dealer guy, or some disavowed agent of the chinese gov't maybe he could explains the rings as some sort of more subtle/assassin weapons

making fun of stark for developing the every so stealthy 2-ton suit, he could have formidable powers in something tiny enough to slip past airport secruity

They could have starks company find alien stones which the mandarin will be interested in obtaining to make his rings. The mandarin could be some sort of chinese warlock who wants more power and to have that power he will need the stones from starks company. Ironman could use the stones to make his suit and weapons for it.

Yellow Cyclone said:
if he's an arms dealer guy, or some disavowed agent of the chinese gov't maybe he could explains the rings as some sort of more subtle/assassin weapons

making fun of stark for developing the every so stealthy 2-ton suit, he could have formidable powers in something tiny enough to slip past airport secruity

Iron Man's suit is only about 200 pounds not 2 tons(4000 pounds).

Ironfan72 said:
I'm think Gauntlets, instead of rings have him wear gaunlets with each jem on the knuckles, ala Infinity Guantlet, just a thought.

my first thought too.

i also like this idea: say the "armor wars" started a lil earlier. that stark industries had developed super small weapons that were being seiged in transport by a wealthy oriental guerilla warrior looking to overthrow the chinese government.

So stark goes to china to get them back, and is ultimatley wounded by mandairin and forced to create the iron man armor so that the oriental guy becomes invincible. however stark uses the armor himself and ultimatley stops the mandarin from his diabolical plan.

kedrell said:
Iron Man's suit is only about 200 pounds not 2 tons(4000 pounds).
you know what i meant ;)

kedrell said:
my first thought too.

i also like this idea: say the "armor wars" started a lil earlier. that stark industries had developed super small weapons that were being seiged in transport by a wealthy oriental guerilla warrior looking to overthrow the chinese government.

So stark goes to china to get them back, and is ultimatley wounded by mandairin and forced to create the iron man armor so that the oriental guy becomes invincible. however stark uses the armor himself and ultimatley stops the mandarin from his diabolical plan.

that is actually pretty good. it might be a cop-out, but maybe making the gem stones, a deus ex machina? some rare element that can increase technology b.s. excuse..."precious tritium is what i need" ;)

I think Jon Favereau is going to go the Norman Osborn/Dr. Doom route with Mandarin and make him a rival CEO of a major ordnance supplier for the government (much like Quest AeroSpace in Spider-Man).

As for his rings, I think they would come off cheesy if not done right. I was thinking that he would steal Iron Man's technology and create gaunlets that generate repulsor rays from each finger (all the same power, however).

Lets go the whole hog for a comic book movie as a comic book. Alien spacecraft land on earth all the time in films, look at the Predator movies for one example. I dare Hollywood to actually do a comic book as a comic book rather than in a diluted form e.g. Superman/ Daredevil/ Xmen or an over stylised form like Burtons Batman. The nearest we have is Hellboy, although both Spiderman and Batman Begins treated the subject matter with the respect due. For those who are about to say Sonys Manspider was not Spiderman, he's more like Spiderman than JMS's version.

Let's see a comic with Starks genius fighting alien technology.

- Whirly

The gauntlets could work, but I'd prefer them to retain their separate powers on each finger. Gives IM more of a challenge to deal with.

If you're gonna make a realistic Iron Man film, then here's my .02:

There is no single "Mandarin". Mandarin, while believed to be one man, is actually a small group of techno-barons who work on cutting edge technology for the highest bidder. Whereas the world at large believes the Mandarin to be a single person, the group is actually changing identity on a regular basis in an effort to stay ahead of the various intelligence agencies that would like to control or shut down their operation. Each dude in the group wears a ring, which is the only identifier of the organization - hence, the "Rings" of the "Mandarin".

Make them high tech weapons. That is what I'd do at least.

Wouldn't it be sooooo cool to have a little scene set during maybe a Halloween Party, and have Mandarin show up in CLASSIC comic book cheesy Mandarin guise, and have Stark show up in a classic red/yellow Iron Man guise. Haha that would be such a classic HOMAGE!!!

batman7289 said:
alien tech. would be a good choice

Are you sure about that? Seems like it would be harder to sell.

TheBlueWolf said:
Wouldn't it be sooooo cool to have a little scene set during maybe a Halloween Party, and have Mandarin show up in CLASSIC comic book cheesy Mandarin guise, and have Stark show up in a classic red/yellow Iron Man guise. Haha that would be such a classic HOMAGE!!!
hmmm it would AT THAT

we're back on the hype
its HYPER TIME

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"