Sequels How The X-Men And Mutants In General Can Be Brought Into The MCU

I still think too many overthink this.

And why the Mutants have PR issues that dwarf the other heroes can have a reasonable explanation.

I outlined this in another thread. The other heroes are almost largely people who are adults. Cap, Thor, Capt. Marvel, Vision (A sythetic being "born yesterday" true but presented as an incredibly intelligent and emationally stable adult...) they all have a firm grasp on their powers. And as we saw in CW even doing the right thing and saving the day the Avengers can have the public worried, thus after Wanda's miscaculation (Or scew up depending on one's POV) the popular support for the Sokovia Accords.

Now the Avengers and associated heroes are probably untouchable because they literally reversed an apocalyptic event that affected every person on the planet. From a PR standpoint they are golden.

Now, tradionally the Mutants start expressing their abilities as adolescents. After the events of Endgame I can see a populace hungry for any media coverage of super heroes/super humans (This could also work to support the sudden centrality of Mutants in the MCU. Before they could more easily stay under the radar or be dismissed as urban legends. The tragedy of the snap and it's aftermath would probably shunt any other news to the back burner for a long time...) eating up any reports of Mutants. And reasonably what would that coverage look like?

If it bleeds it leads as the saying goes. A high school football player out of nowhere projects a force field that the opposing team violently crashes into during a play. A girl that gets teased and bullied finds herself blamed when the room she's in spontaneously erupts into flames. A young refugee in a foreign country's camp for displaced people suddenly begins emitting a toxic gas from her skin causing massive panic in a place already dealing with chaos and confusion.

Media reports on things like that would make even those without any bigotry for mutants probably feel a sense of unease about a population of potentially weapons of mass destruction in human form just walking around. There are huge issues inherent with regards to mutants that aren't addressed by just holding hands together and singing kumbaya. Unlike with the real world analogs of the Civil Rights movement or the acceptance of LGBTQ citizens, there is a reasonable underpinning to the fears or at least apprehensions of folks in universe. If such incidences didn't include any casualties they would still invoke an enormous amount of fears around public safety, and if people were killed, forget about it.

And that logical unease about Mutants then provides fertile grounds for the truly commited bigots to take advantage of in a way that allows for the reactions to mutants to be different to other super humans. I get under that kind of set up how many could be afraid of Mutants while still lionizing the Thors and Capt. Marvels.

I still think too many overthink this.

And why the Mutants have PR issues that dwarf the other heroes can have a reasonable explanation.

I outlined this in another thread. The other heroes are almost largely people who are adults. Cap, Thor, Capt. Marvel, Vision (A sythetic being "born yesterday" true but presented as an incredibly intelligent and emationally stable adult...) they all have a firm grasp on their powers. And as we saw in CW even doing the right thing and saving the day the Avengers can have the public worried, thus after Wanda's miscaculation (Or scew up depending on one's POV) the popular support for the Sokovia Accords.

Now the Avengers and associated heroes are probably untouchable because they literally reversed an apocalyptic event that affected every person on the planet. From a PR standpoint they are golden.

Now, tradionally the Mutants start expressing their abilities as adolescents. After the events of Endgame I can see a populace hungry for any media coverage of super heroes/super humans (This could also work to support the sudden centrality of Mutants in the MCU. Before they could more easily stay under the radar or be dismissed as urban legends. The tragedy of the snap and it's aftermath would probably shunt any other news to the back burner for a long time...) eating up any reports of Mutants. And reasonably what would that coverage look like?

If it bleeds it leads as the saying goes. A high school football player out of nowhere projects a force field that the opposing team violently crashes into during a play. A girl that gets teased and bullied finds herself blamed when the room she's in spontaneously erupts into flames. A young refugee in a foreign country's camp for displaced people suddenly begins emitting a toxic gas from her skin causing massive panic in a place already dealing with chaos and confusion.

Media reports on things like that would make even those without any bigotry for mutants probably feel a sense of unease about a population of potentially weapons of mass destruction in human form just walking around. There are huge issues inherent with regards to mutants that aren't addressed by just holding hands together and singing kumbaya. Unlike with the real world analogs of the Civil Rights movement or the acceptance of LGBTQ citizens, there is a reasonable underpinning to the fears or at least apprehensions of folks in universe. If such incidences didn't include any casualties they would still invoke an enormous amount of fears around public safety, and if people were killed, forget about it.

And that logical unease about Mutants then provides fertile grounds for the truly commited bigots to take advantage of in a way that allows for the reactions to mutants to be different to other super humans. I get under that kind of set up how many could be afraid of Mutants while still lionizing the Thors and Capt. Marvels.
I agree with your ideas about how mutant mania in the media should be jumpstarted. But I still think mutants as a concept needs to be rationalized.

As you yourself have elaborated, mutant activations happen during adolescence. And most of them happen in very public places, because stress is also a contributing factor. Whether it's an SAT testing room, the scene of a breakup, a kid getting bullied, a linebacker on the football field or a school play. These "incidents" are happening in public and they are happening hundreds of times a day. How does this fit with the idea of the entire mutant race being an urban legend? That's like saying natural disasters are urban legends. They aren't a single unifed collective consciousness like Wakandans or Sorcerers or even Eternals. Mutants are less of a community and more of a phenomenon/or a virus that attacks at random, but imagine If that virus was a mini-tsunami. A 15 year old who accidently blows up a city block (after multiple dozens of people are now in the hospital) is not going to suddenly find himself a member of the "Mutant federation collective" and imminently go into hiding- away from all his family and friends.

The only way the "hiding in the shadows" idea works is if you either a) radically alter the way mutant biology works and have the X-Gene activation only happen to monks living in secluded parts of the world or B) have a small enough number of mutants that currently exist, for them to not yet be a classified species.

And either way you go, you have to explain why mutants are suddenly a problem. A problem so widespread in fact, that every superpower in the world is now shaking in their boots. A problem so widespread, that the Government starts introducing legislative policies that will fundamentally change society forever. They aren't going to be doing that for a handful of mutants who have existed all this time with little to no problems posed to society as a whole.

So however you take this, the problem has to be addressed. You can't just introduce a game changing concept like mutants into the MCU with zero logical explanation as to why or how

Last edited:
Well the avengers are for the most part trained or designed to use their superpowers cautiously (although they make mistakes) and in this universe most “supers” on earth are with the avengers.

I think what we will see is superhero emergency situations where there is no longer a villain to stop. There’s just an average Joe in the middle of the chaos. And that’s a bit of a twist for the MCU.

The idea behind X-men would be that Superpowers are appearing randomly across the global population, outside of any governments control. and there’s the fear of teens losing control of an unknown power and endangering people in homes, schools, public spaces, etc. And the immediate risk of powers falling into the wrong hands of course. That fear would seep in once they realize the supernatural incidents are spreading at an unpredictable rate.

Last edited:
and since mutations don’t discriminate based on looks, I really hope we get to see shadowcat as an average girl next door and I hope we see Beak and Toad and blob and the morlocks, etc, the way they were intended to be in the comics

Even wolverine looks kinda funny out of costume

Emma Frost is pretty, but may have undergone cosmetic surgery

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back