How to stop an Asteroid/Comet

Alex The Great

Avenger
Reaction score
Yup....There's hurricanes, there's Earthquakes and blizzards. but Nothing can stop the force of a large asteropid impact. Just ask grand pappy T-rex.....Every now and then a large asteroid passes the earth close range. a few years ago, an asteroid passes the Earth at close range and we never knew it had come till the next day! Asteroids are....THE thing that can end life as we all know it. here's a super awseme sexy list of how to stop those large rocks...

1. Call Bruce Willis :up:
2. Nuke em :hyper:
3. Have a sateliet get to it....and attach to it....A rocket pops out...pushing the Rock away from us :yay:
4. Pray :huh:
5. all of the above :woot:

there's several other ways to stop em.....can you....like...save the world?

i thought a popular method was the useing a laser to heat part of the surface untill it starts working as a thruster pushing the object off course. this may be done with a satalite at closer range. detection is a problem since we aren't looking at many areas in enough detail most of the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(29075)_1950_DA

Man...this asteroid is pretty bad. it's rotaition is strange. it can change it's orbit. one way would make it miss by 10's of millions of miles. the other way...a 1 in 300 chance oh hitting...the highest odds for any rock......could it be? March 16th, 2880 be the end? Mayans were close, but no cigar :o

i thought a popular method was the useing a laser to heat part of the surface untill it starts working as a thruster pushing the object off course. this may be done with a satalite at closer range. detection is a problem since we aren't looking at many areas in enough detail most of the time.
yeah....like a magnifying glass.....but that means having it go 60 years prior to imapct....a LONG wait....60 years without something going wrong? i don't really like that.

Option 3 is the best option. If we blow it up, we'll just make it a hundred times worse. And unless we perfect cryogenic freezing, cloning or immortality, Bruce Willis isn't an option either. Prayer? Pft.

yep. all the debris will fall to earth...heating the atmosphere....Buring the Earth into nothing....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/(29075)_1950_DA

Man...this asteroid is pretty bad. it's rotaition is strange. it can change it's orbit. one way would make it miss by 10's of millions of miles. the other way...a 1 in 300 chance oh hitting...the highest odds for any rock......could it be? March 16th, 2080 be the end? Mayans were close, but no cigar :o

http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/1950da/1950da.pdf

scroll down....about halfway....

2080...Min Distance (minimum distance of approach)

were so dead :o

yeah....like a magnifying glass.....but that means having it go 60 years prior to imapct....a LONG wait....60 years without something going wrong? i don't really like that.

well really you have to take more than one aproach. when it's close enough you can send nukes close enough to apply force without breaking it up.

i know mister....i edited it...at least we we won't be around! so HA HA! to my great great great great great great great great great great great great grandchild :o

you should probably be more worried about supervolcanos. not that worrying would do any good.

yeah.....i know about yellowstone......but there's no where to hide with asteroids. you just flee the area with volcanoes. even if there super.

Ok....so...ummmm.......http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/risk/

looks like an asteroid probably won't hit in our life time......damn! sure it might kill us all, but still....Would be cool to see an asteroid streak right by me and slam into the ocean.........oh well.....if 1950DA hits in 800 years time then well......yeah :huh:

well we might be able to extend life times long enough that you'll get to see one. wouldn't that be nice.

chuck_norris.jpg

Well, Forget 1950DA, mark 2029 and 2036 on your big calender, The asteroid will pass in 2029, and if it goes through a ''gravitaition keyhole'' that is about 400 metres wide, it might hit in a nother encounter....2036....ods are 1 in 49 thousand i think....still risky though....i remember 2 years ago it was 4 on the torin scale...that's the highest EVER for an asteroid....now it's nothing....but still.....risky buisness....:hyper:

and if we don't have the technology to stop 1950DA 800 years from now, We deserve to be hit :o:oldrazz::csad:

Asteroid's are one thing, there's several neat little theories for how to deal with that, and people spend plenty of time trying to locate and track anything threatening.

A comet, on the other hand, we'd be ****ed.

indeed....i'll be in my 40's when Apophis comes to play...i'm sure in 2029/2036 the news on it will be balistic if there's still alarge possibility for impact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"