How will a sense of danger be established for Superman?

Discussion in 'Man of Steel' started by Hypestyle, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Hypestyle Registered

considering his traditional invulnerability, especially the silver-age-era of planet-moving.. what, short of an unending series of kryptonite-based weapons, will be able to harm him? Will anything be able to hit him really hard or cause burning or cold damage at all? If Superman's going to be "reinvented" for the 21st+ century, then this is a thematic element that needs to be updated, seriously.

2. PSYLENTGuardian El Pollos Hermano

I think they're already establishing that by having General Zod and other fellow Kryptonians for villains. There, you already have a conflict that is just as powerful as, or even stronger than Superman himself. That sense of danger is definitely going to be present, since we know and have seen briefly that Superman falls down on his knees and spits out blood.

3. herolee10 No More Miracles

agreed; I think it was said that someone with supposed official sources stated that Faora is such a established fighter that she's able to hit all of the weak points of Superman's physical anatomy, causing him to suffer a great deal of amount of pain, regardless of his powers.

4. sup101 Registered

How will they establish it.They'll show him getting his butt kicked by zod, faora and co.

[​IMG]

5. AnneFan Hathaway #1

That will work. Military type fighters coming down and hitting all the sweet spots.

6. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Kryptonian villains have all the powers he has so Superman will meet his match and face a genuine threat in Man Of Steel.

General Zod and Faora are professional soldiers probably with years of military training, experience and advanced Kryptonian technology and knowledge.

I think Earths military should be able to slow Superman down if they bombard him with bombs and missiles but not stop him or cause any serious injury.

7. BH/HHH You Are My World

:up:

8. Anubis Sup?

Or sonics. Or various types of energy weapons. People take the invulnerability thing too seriously. He might not die, but you can hurt him.

9. SuperFerret King of the Urban Jungle

Read a comic book. He's very resistant to being hurt, but he's not immune to it.

10. BH/HHH You Are My World

:up: everything's already been said

11. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I would of said hi-tech stuff but so far we have yet to see the earth army with any advanced science fiction like weapons type stuff.

I hope they do have some though. The Dark Knight Trilogy had microwave emitters, EMP guns, ect.

12. 747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Faora was a Kryptonian martial arts expert in the comics. I think she will be quite lethal to a Superman without much fight experience. Same with the military Zod and his battle armor.

13. zman Registered

Its something the SR game kinda got right: Superman can't die (yeah Kryptonite I know) so the threat comes from having people close to him being threatened if not killed, like breaking his spirit first to get him down.

14. Anubis Sup?

Or you know, all the stuff we already said.

15. Lead Cenobite Exquisitely Empty

I think part of the realism of Man of Steel will be that Earth's technological development is the same as real life. And there's no need for there to be any Earth tech in this movie that can hurt Superman when we have Kryptonians with Kryptonian tech. Maybe someone will reverse-engineer the tech that gets left behind at the end. That's the way I prefer it. Rather than lots of wacky sci-fi developments happening independent of Superman and Zod's arrival, their arrival is the catalyst.

16. sf2 Registered

Why superman can’t die??? Thought he has already died a few times?

Btw, I like the idea of people close to him being threatened.

17. zman Registered

its not so much that its impossible, but story wise, its unlikely to happen is what I mean. The danger comes from the harm he can't prevent around him, and yeah sometimes he can't prevent said harm cause he's getting the ***beat out of him.

18. ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

But that's basically true of any superhero...

19. sf2 Registered

Can I see a one vs 1000s... like Neo in the matrix.

20. redhawk23 Wrestlin'

And that's not really a problem. Its just the best available story telling when you can't really kill off the protagonist.

21. 747 Fanboy rivalry? Yawn.

Harming someone doesn't need to be physically. And personally I find psychological harm just as if not more interesting.

22. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Me too.

Plenty of ways you can hurt someone outside of killing them. You could breaking someone mentally or morally or destroying someones reputuation all which were all touched on in the TDK trilogy.

23. acedrake Registered

If Faora alone can kick supe's but all by herself why does Zod need an armored suit for? Maybe superman is stronger than her but not necessarily as skilled in combat and all it takes to take her down is one punch from Kal. Just wondering

24. sup101 Registered

The armor is zod military outfit on krypton.

25. ThePhantasm 2 sexy 4 a stormtrooper

Superior armor / weaponry wins battles. Why would Zod want to fight Superman on even terms?