Huge Plothole in Captain Marvel re: Avengers, Captain America

MCH

Civilian
Reaction score
So I finally saw Captain Marvel last night. And I apologize if this has been brought up in previous threads but it's bugging me. I might have to watch Avenger again to make sure my memory is correct (oh darn)

It involves the Tesseracht. if I have my information correct: Red Skull is playing with it in the 40's, Capt American takes it down to the bottom of the ocean, Mar Vell somehow gets her hands on it in the 1990s, Nick Fury sees it, the cat swallows it, the cat coughs it up on Fury's desk, somehow it gets back to the ocean where Cap took it, Fury finds Cap AND the cube (easier to spell) and knows nothing about it.

Does that about sum it up?

The Tesseract and Captain America weren't found at the same time.

Fury tells Cap:
"Howard Stark fished it out of the ocean when he was looking for you"
so according to Fury it was found decades before the events of Avengers.

Howard Stark found it, presumably gave it to the U.S. govt and then in the 90s Mar-Vell got hold of it after disguising herself as a human scientist and infiltrating the military's experiments. Then in the early 2010s SHIELD found Cap.

Last edited:
Howard Stark found it shortly after Cap crashed into the Artic, around the time of V-E day or at least right after WWII. He presumably hands it to government officials, who hand it the SSR, which turns into SHIELD. Jump ahead 45 years or so, and they seemed to have given it to Mar Vell (whether or not they know she is Kree or not is up to debate) for research purposes.

Howard Stark found it shortly after Cap crashed into the Artic, around the time of V-E day or at least right after WWII. He presumably hands it to government officials, who hand it the SSR, which turns into SHIELD. Jump ahead 45 years or so, and they seemed to have given it to Mar Vell (whether or not they know she is Kree or not is up to debate) for research purposes.
Besides the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. take on the history of Hydra was anything shown in The First Avenger, Ant-Man the Civil War assassination of Howard Stark sequences or Captain Marvel to even suspect anyone on earth knew about extraterrestrial life before Carol Danvers started fighting the Skrulls who revealed their true self?

Besides the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. take on the history of Hydra was anything shown in The First Avenger, Ant-Man the Civil War assassination of Howard Stark sequences or Captain Marvel to even suspect anyone on earth knew about extraterrestrial life before Carol Danvers started fighting the Skrulls who revealed their true self?

Well maybe, there is no indication on-screen during the info-dump Zola gives during Winter Soldier or anything like that, but maybe that information was just not brought up because it wasn't relevant to Hydra at the moment.

Red Skull seemed to believe Asgardians were aliens, but that was about it. Agents of SHIELD had the blue alien found in Daniel Whitehall's stuff that had been buried for generations, which would suggest others would know but, leaving Agents of SHIELD aside, there's no reason for others to believe Red Skull's theories about the Tesseract.

It amazes me how often people have asked this question about the tessaract after seeing Captain Marvel. They literally show Stark hauling it out of the sea and then Stark orders his staff to continue searching for Rodgers. It's not even a post credit scene; it happens like a minute after Capt crashes the plane!

People need to go back and watch The First Avenger. The way it is consistantly forgotten and often ranked so low despite it being one of the MCU's best films makes me think people just haven't seen it since it was in rheaters.

It amazes me how often people have asked this question about the tessaract after seeing Captain Marvel. They literally show Stark hauling it out of the sea and then Stark orders his staff to continue searching for Rodgers. It's not even a post credit scene; it happens like a minute after Capt crashes the plane!

People need to go back and watch The First Avenger. The way it is consistantly forgotten and often ranked so low despite it being one of the MCU's best films makes me think people just haven't seen it since it was in rheaters.
I'll do everyone better...

The accent is wrong, but I like to imagine the guy with the glasses in that scene is Anton Vanko. (but I think his character was in Agent Carter, though I've never seen that show)

Yes. Red Skull knew about the existence of Asgard and Odin and the Tesseract.

Also HYDRA knew about the existence of HIVE. HYDRA's whole purpose was to return HIVE to Earth.

HIVE is the creature in the symbol of HYDRA's logo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"