Qs you have/ things you liked/disliked about Capt Marvel [SPOILERS]

Why wait till a 3rd film. I think after the 3rd Guardians movie, a Nova franchise would be a perfect spiritual continuation of the cosmic MCU. And if Guardians 3 doesn't happen then that's even more reason to green light Nova.

The creation of the Nova force would be a reaction to the destruction of Xander, and the need to protect themselves from future attacks. They could even set up the first part of the movie with Thano's initial attack. Then do a time jump "10 years later..."
I said a third film because there's a good chance the sequel will still be a prequel

6. Too little explanation. How was pegasus going to end the war?

This one was explained. The new engine was going to allow the Skrulls to find a new homeworld far away from the Kree Empire, where the Kree can't get to them.

I really liked the Skrulls in the movie but afterwards thinking about it they have made it quite hard for them to be bad guys at any point during the MCU. I mean why would they create the likes of Kl’rt/Super Skrull now? Hopefully they find a good explanation around that as I want to see that at some point .

I thought the finale lacked, well, punch, her finally embracing her power and rising up as the hero was well done dramatically, but the final action scene afterwards just felt underwhelming, I was loving the movie up until that point. The finale brought it down a bit in my estimations.

Would have definitely liked to see more of Hala, The Accusors and the Kreme worlds In general.

Wasn’t as big on Goose as many have been, found his actions a bit too similar to some characters in the GOTG movies.

Overall really enjoyed the movie though.

It is easy to make the Skrulls villains. Much like with humans there are different factions that believe in different things and behave in different ways. There are good Skrulls and bad Skrulls. Same with the Kree.

Exactly. There are extremists in every society that take it too far.

I didn't like it. Here's some reasons why:

1) HATED what they did with Fury's eye. Instead of a badass it makes him look like a joke. That's the last thing that character should be, especially with how he's been neglected both in Civil War and Infinity War.
2) I never found Brie tough. I know they tried really hard to pull it off, but I didn't see it at all. Meanwhile the hallway scene alone in Iron Man 2 did it in Scarlet's first MCU film for her.
3) I found her attempts at the humour even less successful.
4) I was expecting more Coulson based on the commercials. They shouldn't have even shown him in them, he's basically a cameo.

5) Worst: They are trying to make a character that has been 3rd rate for 90% of her comics existence into the biggest Avenger. She's the most powerful, she's gonna be a big player in the next film despite JUST being introduced, and now she's the reason they're called The Avengers!! That was such an unnecessary and stupid thing to throw in.

Why did the tesseract melt through the bottom of the bomber in CA:TFA but not the lunchbox in this?

It didn't burn through the gloves Skull had on when he picked it up at the start of TFA either.

In the end of TFA it had just been activated and sent Skull across the cosmos..

I personally also didn't like Fury's eye or the origin of the Avengers as a name. But overall I did like the movie.

One thing I really enjoyed is how much of her origin was taken from the comic book source material. Carol has got a particularly messy backstory and I assumed that this would be significantly altered. But
Carol's powers came from an energy backlash created from the destruction of a miracle device.This was precipitated by a battle involving Mar-vell, considered a traitor by the Kree, and Yon Rogg. Carol ended up with awesome powers as well as memory loss, and for a time mistakenly believed herself to be a Kree warrior
I should have trusted Marvel Studios.

I liked the humor in this and thought it worked really well. None of it really felt forced unlike in Doctor Strange and there wasn't too much like in Guardians 2.

I didn’t like the whole making the Skrulls nice aliens angle either. Same with the idea that Carol is the Deus Ex Machina against Thanos, but everything else was cool.

I ration it like this, they didn’t know they were 100% getting Fantastic Four/X-Men back so they made due in forging their own MCU mythology.

The thing to remember about the Skrulls, just because they were victims/somewhat good guys in 1995, doesn’t mean they can’t change in the 30-year (ish) gap, or that there isn’t another faction of Skrulls out there, outside of Talos’ group, that are true villains

As to what I disliked? SLJ may have had decades shaved off his face, but he looked
every bit his 70 years running around Project Pegasus and fighting Talos. Sam reminded me of Harrison Ford in Indy 4. And Phil "Uncanny Valley" Coulson in the stairwell was the scariest thing in the flick.

I didn’t like the whole making the Skrulls nice aliens angle either.

I wouldn't say they were 'nice ',
though Talos' family appeared to be. But even he admitted to doing awful things during the course of the war. I would say the Skrulls were defeated and desperate, which was the reason for their Secret Invasion in the comics

I didn’t like the whole making the Skrulls nice aliens angle either. Same with the idea that Carol is the Deus Ex Machina against Thanos, but everything else was cool.
I ration it like this, they didn’t know they were 100% getting Fantastic Four/X-Men back so they made due in forging their own MCU mythology.

As to what I disliked? SLJ may have had decades shaved off his face, but he looked
every bit his 70 years running around Project Pegasus and fighting Talos. Sam reminded me of Harrison Ford in Indy 4. And Phil "Uncanny Valley" Coulson in the stairwell was the scariest thing in the flick.

I wouldn't say they were 'nice ',
though Talos' family appeared to be. But even he admitted to doing awful things during the course of the war. I would say the Skrulls were defeated and desperate, which was the reason for their Secret Invasion in the comics

Not all Skrulls are good. Talos even said so. Doesn't mean they can't change in the nearly 30 years either. The Carol being the Deus ex machina complaint is lazy because it's not like she's going to come in and just kill Thanos and save the day.

I noticed that in my second viewing with SLJ running around and yeah, Coulson looked...off.

I don't think the Skrulls being nice in this eliminates the chances of a Skrull invasion at all. It'll be 30 years since the events of this film and a lot can change in those 30 years. In fact, it could be a good storyline for Carol in her third film. Having to fight those she made her mission to save and help.

The thing to remember about the Skrulls, just because they were victims/somewhat good guys in 1995, doesn’t mean they can’t change in the 30-year (ish) gap, or that there isn’t another faction of Skrulls out there, outside of Talos’ group, that are true villains
Or because the families of one resistance cell were earth based and being helped by a Kree traitor Mar Vell doesn't mean other cells would care about humanity

What I liked:

-The humor.

-The chemistry between Carol and Fury.

-The twist with the Skrulls.

-Production value is on point.

What I disliked:

-How this movie is basically a watered down version of the new She-Ra. That show revealed that the Horde were the bad guys in the very first episode, which was under half a hour long and showed Adora contemplating how her life was a lie. This movie takes longer to reveal something we already know from Guardians of The Galaxy and Carol just shugs her shoulders at this revelation.

-A lot of telling instead of showing in regards to Carol’s characterization and what is shown about her is done so quick that it just doesn’t resonate.

-The action scenes are weak.

An overall mediocre movie, imo.

Last edited:
Does she really just shrug her shoulders? Seems... hyperbolic.

One thing I really enjoyed is how much of her origin was taken from the comic book source material. Carol has got a particularly messy backstory and I assumed that this would be significantly altered. But
Carol's powers came from an energy backlash created from the destruction of a miracle device.This was precipitated by a battle involving Mar-vell, considered a traitor by the Kree, and Yon Rogg. Carol ended up with awesome powers as well as memory loss, and for a time mistakenly believed herself to be a Kree warrior
I should have trusted Marvel Studios.
I noticed that too and like yourself,quite approved of what Marvel chose to do.

I didn't like it. Here's some reasons why:

1) HATED what they did with Fury's eye. Instead of a badass it makes him look like a joke. That's the last thing that character should be, especially with how he's been neglected both in Civil War and Infinity War.
2) I never found Brie tough. I know they tried really hard to pull it off, but I didn't see it at all. Meanwhile the hallway scene alone in Iron Man 2 did it in Scarlet's first MCU film for her.
3) I found her attempts at the humour even less successful.
4) I was expecting more Coulson based on the commercials. They shouldn't have even shown him in them, he's basically a cameo.

5) Worst: They are trying to make a character that has been 3rd rate for 90% of her comics existence into the biggest Avenger. She's the most powerful, she's gonna be a big player in the next film despite JUST being introduced, and now she's the reason they're called The Avengers!! That was such an unnecessary and stupid thing to throw in.

I haaaaaaaaaaaaaated #5. Literally rolled my eyes in disgust when I saw it.

Another thing I disliked now that I think about it:

Carol is a flat character. There is really nothing to her beyond being the strong female protagonist archetype. No real faults, vulnerability, or self-reflection. She never reflects on the fact the past six years of her life has been a lie and has been acting as a hitman for the Knee.

Last edited:
Another thing I disliked now that I think about it:

Carol is a flat character. There is really nothing to her beyond being the strong female protagonist archetype. No real faults, vulnerability, or self-reflection. She never reflects on the fact the past six years of her life has been a lie and has been acting as a hitman for the Knee.

Ehh. This is an amnesia origin story and we are seeing her reactions in real time to regaining her memory. What you are complaining about would require a more lengthy character reflection after the ending.

Plus, we do see her blow up at her life lie when she walks out of the house after Talos' plea to her. She shows vulnerability dealing with the kid and humor dealing with Fury.

Ehh. This is an amnesia origin story and we are seeing her reactions in real time to regaining her memory. What you are complaining about would require a more lengthy character reflection after the ending.

Plus, we do see her blow up at her life lie when she walks out of the house after Talos' plea to her. She shows vulnerability dealing with the kid and humor dealing with Fury.

I’ve only seen the movie once so I could be wrong but I’ve seen many other people with the same complaint. It must have gone by really fast. It was certainly not handled as well as with Adora in the new She-Ra. A lot more could have been done.

Not really a fan of the amnesia plot being as lengthy as it was either. Add that to the dislike list.

And I said nothing about humor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"