Hugh Jackman is The Greatest Showman on Earth

Saw it tonight and I can see why it's done so well, it's got a good message, it's vibrant, energetic, feel good entertainment, people need that right now more than ever.

I know the film sugar coated Barnum and it is rushed, with several key developments sped through, but it makes no pretensions to be anything but an old fashioned musical, filled with catchy songs, dance routines a couple of tear jerker ballads, some humour and a bit of romance.

All of the performances are good, you can tell Hugh Jackman was really invested in this, it was nice to see Michelle Williams in a non-miseralbe role for a change, Zac Efron is likable and Zendaya makes her mark with what she is given, but I felt her part could have used more scenes.

Of the dance numbers and songs, I liked the one where Barnum convinces Carlyle to join the Circus, and the one with Carlyle and Anne with the wire work, the best. The finale with the Lions and Elephants was cool as well and I liked Barnum showing up to his kids event on one in the middle of the street. :D

8/10

Update on its box office numbers. :) This movie is currently sitting at close to $173 Million domestic and $415 Million Worldwide. Boss Baby made $175 M domestic last year and Get Out made $176 M. It's incredible to think The Greatest Showman is getting close to those numbers!

[Yt]CaE0JD1X12g[/MEDIA]

"Average" (or "mediocre") sums it up pretty well. I actually think they pretty much nailed this movie here, from the stock characters, to the bland story, to the bad history. But hey, the songs are catchy and they have their own version of Elsa/"Let It Go." :oldrazz:

"Average" (or "mediocre") sums it up pretty well. I actually think they pretty much nailed this movie here, from the stock characters, to the bland story, to the bad history. But hey, the songs are catchy and they have their own version of Elsa/"Let It Go." :oldrazz:

Speak for yourself. This Honest Trailer was funny (as they all are), but it far from "nailed" it on this movie. Most people actually don't find The Greatest Showman to be mediocre or average at all. I haven't met one person (in my every day life who doesn't go on the internet) who didn't love this movie and think it was awesome. Even my co-workers, who usually don't like musicals, bought the movie. Every single member of my family loves the movie despite all having very different movie tastes. All of my friends love the movie and watched it multiple times. These are people who I usually can't go to a movie with because we don't generally like the same things. The Honest Trailer missed the point and so did critics. Critics were judging this movie as something it was never intended to be, rather than judging it based on what it actually is. Hugh Jackman and the song writers even said that recently, speaking on why they feel most critics missed the point. I wholeheartedly agree with them. Also, I hate the song "Let It Go" so I'm not feeling the comparison. All songs from The Greatest Showman are better, for my personal tastes.

I don't think anybody went into this movie expecting a history lesson.

Right? It's a musical for god's sake with a fantasy feel due to the imagery. I doubt anybody went into this movie thinking, "It's time for me to learn about the real P.T. Barnum." The point of the movie was never to give a history lesson. It was to make people feel good and put smiles on their faces. They even said it's not a biopic. Not to mention there are Hollywood movies that have actually distorted history even more and nobody complained. I don't think historical inaccuracy is a valid complaint for this film. It never put itself out there as trying to be historically accurate. It put itself out there as a feel good, fun time, and how Barnum, who rewrote his autobiography multiple times to make himself look better each time, would have wanted his story to be told in 2017/2018.

two songs from this show have been performed on the Voice this year. the music is strong in this one lol

Just saw this. And I was entertained. The songs are catchy great. It was a sleeper hit and well deserved. I love This Is Me, Never Enough, and Rewrite the Stars.

Can't believe Michelle Williams can sing and sings well!

Zendaya highly impressed me with her acrobatic act (not too familiar with her). It's great that Hollywood casts actors in these types of roles who can do some to most of their stunts and is believable doing it. The choreography and camera work for Rewrite the Stars are amazing so too were Zendaya and Zac.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"