Hugh Jackman is The Greatest Showman on Earth

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57699

Source: Variety
August 4, 2009

Variety reports that 20th Century Fox has attached Hugh Jackman to play American showman P.T. Barnum in The Greatest Showman on Earth, an original contemporary musical to be written by Jenny Bicks (Sex and the City).

The film will be produced by Laurence Mark (Dreamgirls), Jackman and his Seed partner John Palermo.

Jackman will play the showman with a penchant for hoaxing a gullible public as he creates the three-ring circus that made him famous. The musical also focuses on his infatuation with singer Jenny Lind -- the so-called Swedish Nightingale.

The film will have a contemporary musical score, and the studio is in talks with British singer-songwriter Mika to write music and lyrics.

The Lind role is being scripted for Anne Hathaway, who teamed with Jackman in his opening Oscars number.

Given The Prestige, I think he should pull it off. Wonder if he'll chunk up to play Barnum.

Eh, Jackman doesn't scream Barnum to me. I'm sure he can be a chameleon and pull it off, but I was somewhat thinking more along the lines of a Kevin Spacey or Giamatti for the role.

I've seen him on Broadway 5 times (soon to be 6), he could definitely pull this off. In fact, a lot of theater fans thought he'd be perfect in a revival of Barnum if that ever came back to Broadway.

29773-004-98C2E6CD.jpg

After looking at most PT Barnum pictures I have found, I'm not feeling it. Unless Hugh gains 50 lbs., Thins his hair to near bald, and squats when on camera.

See I'm not worried about actors looking like the people they are suppoused to be playing. I mean with make-up and such I'm sure they can pull off a close resemblance. Hugh Jackman has an amazing voice and I think that matters a little more in a musical then how close the person looks to the character.

Hugh looks nothing like Peter Allen either, but he pulled that off and won just about every award possible for it when he played him onstage. I'm not that concerned about it.

This seems interesting, i really think Hugh can pull it off nicely.

It's kind of funny, after seeing the trainwreck that was Wolverine and how much Jackman was singing it's praises, I was talking to my friend about what had to be in the contract for him to do it.

Producer - "Okay, we'll give x amount of money"
Jackman - "No deal, this movie is goin to suck!"
Producer - "Okay, how about x amount of money and we'll producers a few of those musicals you love to do so much, we'll even throw in a romantic comedy or two"
Jackman - "Now you've got a deal! Hell with the musicals I'll say Wolverine was a real passion project for me!"

I don't think Wolverine was as bad as everyone wants to make it sound to be. It wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. It was a fun summer movie. If you want the comics read the comics, you want to enjoy the movie enjoy the movie.

Anway I'm interested in what type of sound this will have. Rock, Jazz, Circus?

At least it's not actually BARNUM (shudder). And yes, he looks nothing like Barnum. But then, neither did Michael Crawford.

Last edited:
At least it's not actually BARNUM (shudder). And yes, he looks nothing like Barnum. But then, neither did Michael Crawford.

And the theater boards are having a fit that is not Barnum.

I'll see it. I like the idea and a good team put together there.

Reading the title of this thread, I thought it was just a statement.

29773-004-98C2E6CD.jpg

After looking at most PT Barnum pictures I have found, I'm not feeling it. Unless Hugh gains 50 lbs., Thins his hair to near bald, and squats when on camera.

That picture of Barnum is actually a dead ringer for Jim Broadbent.

Lol I thought it was just like a Hugh Jackman appreciation thread.

I love me some Hugh. I love musicals.

I was not feeling this trailer for some reason.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"