Hugh Packing It On

narrows101

Reaction score
I have to admire the man's dediction - can anyone translate the weight to pounds?

http://www.moviehole.net/news/20071221_jackman_packing_it_on_for_wolv.html

Jackman packing it on for Wolverine
Date : December 21, 2007
Writer :Clint Morris

As some may know, one of my main crusts – that’d be ‘how I feed my wife and child’ - is working for a sports-mag company – in particular, I serve as the entertainment ed for the martial arts, wrestling, Muscle-type titles. You always hear little bits and pieces through work, but never nothing that’ll interest anyone outside of the “Kickboxer II : The Road Back” fan club or those in the Oliver Grunner forums.

Anyway, over beers tonight, I heard from a colleague – one of the chaps from the abovesaid shingle – a bit of news about “X-Men Origins : Wolverine”, which, I have to admit, was a little more interesting than the usual ‘Van Damme’s sponsoring a new sports drink in Asia’ gossip you usually hear.

This chap knows Hugh Jackman’s trainer and told me just how far Hugh Jackman is dedicating himself to the role of the clawed mutant.

Jackman’s getting about three hours sleep a night at the moment and spending most of his hours in the gym. He wants to be the beefiest and muscliest he’s ever been to play Wolverine in the film. He was about 80kg in the original, maybe 90 in the second or third one, but he wants to pack on a little extra padding this time – hoping to get the scales to reflect a figure over 100.

The man’s diet at the moment is pretty extreme – he eats about six times a day, usually every three hours. Nothing that tasty either – lots of vegetables (plates of it), fruit and protein shake-fixes.

Aaron Jeffrey is also in final talks to join the cast of the “X-Men” spin-off. No word on whether he’s been downing a few egg milkshakes and catching up on some laps on the treadmill. Jeffrey’s film credits include “The Interview” with Hugo Weaving and “Strange Planet” with Naomi Watts.

The first scenes for “X-Men : Origins” will be filmed in New Zealand. They’ve found some locations there – naturally – that look eerily similar to some of the mountain-esque locations in the first couple of “X-Men” movies. All of the stage work for the film will be shot in Sydney though.
It isn’t much, and no doubt the story was a lot more interesting heard first-hand, but since it’s a slow news day/week…. I thought I’d mention it.

Dam, I am glad that he has not forgotten who made him famous and is willing to go through this much to get a good look for the movie.

Good to see Hugh being so dedicated to the character! I'm sure he'll look great in time for filming (he already does, actually). :up:

It's good to see Jackman physically preparing for the role. He looks like he's in better shape than when he had to quickly prepare for The Last Stand after stepping down from the stage.

Man, I wish I was a movie star. Like Hugh or Christian Bale or something, and just have the ability to pay somebody to make me gain/lose like 60 lbs.

Hugh has gone about 40 #s up or down for different roles over the years.:bh:

Bale however has gone a full 100#s from the Mechanic to Batman... I had a whole new level of respect for him after seeing his dedication to the look for a role.:brucebat:

I think what separates Hugh from the average action hero is that he seems to be fitness-minded all the time, not just when preparing for a role. So he's already starting off looking better than most Hollywood "tough guys" and when he kicks it into overdrive, well, we've all seen the results. :up:

I think what separates Hugh from the average action hero is that he seems to be fitness-minded all the time, not just when preparing for a role. So he's already starting off looking better than most Hollywood "tough guys" and when he kicks it into overdrive, well, we've all seen the results. :up:

That's true - he goes to the gym all the time even when he's not doing an X-Men movie and he's also into yoga which he says also helps.

Jackman’s getting about three hours sleep a night at the moment and spending most of his hours in the gym. He wants to be the beefiest and muscliest he’s ever been to play Wolverine

That right there makes no sense at all. Resting is one of the most important factors when packing on muscle mass. It's just as important as eating properly and having a good training regime. Body builds muscle when you rest so it's recommended to sleep at least 8-9 hours per night.
So three hours of sleep per night sure sounds weird but I guess they know what they are doing.

So is eating. Still if he runs to the gym just to look the way Wolvie would, I think it deserves some applause :applaud

That right there makes no sense at all. Resting is one of the most important factors when packing on muscle mass. It's just as important as eating properly and having a good training regime. Body builds muscle when you rest so it's recommended to sleep at least 8-9 hours per night.
So three hours of sleep per night sure sounds weird but I guess they know what they are doing.
No it is weird & they don't know what they're doing if he's really only getting 3 hours sleep every night.

He looks pretty big there. It's obviously working.

Very true. Not only does he need rest, but spending all day at the gym would be counterproductive as he'd end up overtraining.

I'm guessing Jackman said something off-hand about not getting enough sleep and the interviewer just ran with it.

If he comes into filming at 220lbs I will be very, very impressed. He will be huge and that will be amazing to see on the big screen as Wolverine, I am so gald that Hugh is the actor playing this part, he does the work and never forgets that this was the role that made him a star.

He looks amazing. Check those guns out, they're HUGE! That's dedication right there.
He actually was at my mate's church in Sydney the other weekend, he caught their Christmas show! Funny eh?

Do you guy's think Hugh Jackman's nosed is going to look like his dad's when he gets old? If so that is pretty funny.

I can't wait to see what all celebrities look like when they get old.

Lot's of fruit and three hours of sleep a night? Yeah....not buying it. Methinks the author of the article didn't know a damn thing about what he was writing about and didn't understand what he'd been told. At all.

jag

Lot's of fruit and three hours of sleep a night? Yeah....not buying it. Methinks the author of the article didn't know a damn thing about what he was writing about and didn't understand what he'd been told. At all.

jag
It's very possible he only was getting three hours of sleep at night at some points - the shooting schedule for AUSTRALIA had him getting up at 3:30 a.m and working until 10:00 at night on some days. And about the food - there was a recent article where Hugh was quoted as saying he was just about to do an "intimate" scene with Nicole Kidman and his food had just arrived - and it was salmon, capers and onions (he said he brushed his teeth about five times after he ate LOL). And in other stories we've read that he's also been eating plates of broccoli a drinking protein shakes.

I'm glad that Hugh is staying in shape. I think that it's essential for all actors to stay in shape when portraying a superhero.

I'm glad that Hugh is staying in shape. I think that it's essential for all actors to stay in shape when portraying a superhero.
Unless it's, y'know, the Blob.

If Hugh reaches 220 then he's doing well, anyone know what weight he was around X2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"