Hulk 2: An Ang Lee Film!

webhead731

I'm a photographer
Reaction score
Seriously, what would you guys do if this was it?

Not The Incredible Hulk, no Norton, no reboot.
Bana, Connelly, Elliot, Nolte were back, Ang Lee directing it.
Would you guys even be excited? Would the lack of marketing make sense? Would Nolte be back with a shaved head and beard as Banner's second cousin who becomes Abomination in a tanning bay accident?

I was just thinking about this today. I did like the first film, minus its issues, but alot of people were disappointed with it. I think the excitement for this film comes with being a reboot.

Don't take the thread too seriously, just wondering what it'd be like around here.

:bh:

Hulk 2: Return of the poodle......I'd be so hyped :p

When I saw the first movie I thought "Hmm, not bad good origin movie. Now I can't wait for the sequel so I can see more action."

So I would have gone just to see if more action was in the film.

Ang Lee's sequel was gonna have the Leader, Abomination and even the Grey Hulk in it!

James Schamus was going to have Grey Hulk, and was considering the Leader and the Abomination. I don't think Lee would have stuffed all three of them in.

one thing you can bet your ash on, the fight between Abom and Hulk would have kicked ash.

If Ang had made a sequel, i think for sure we would have gotten more action but not filled with action.

Ang Lee's sequel was gonna have the Leader, Abomination and even the Grey Hulk in it!

Hmm I don't like the sound of that, seems a bit like spider-man 3 which was way overcrowded. I'm sure Ang would've put out a really good movie though, the first film was basically a build up.

I just have a softspot for this film. Ang Lee's HULK was a truly unique (although completely from Ang Lee's own personal perspective) ride into the subconscious of one Bruce Banner.

Personally, I agree that Ang Lee tried something different than Raimi at the time, and decided to put The HULK into the "real" world, as opposed to a "made up" world, or a world that was versed in the "Marvel Universe". Now with that being said, Ang Lee also did not let anyone forget for a minute that this version of The Hulk was indeed a comic book put up there on the big screen. Which is evident by the frequent use of dual shots, multiple panels of action, and so forth. Which has a certain novelty of not really having been done before. Or at least this creatively.

One thing I must say Ang Lee conveyed right, is that he fully accomplished setting up Bruce Banner as a man with not only bottled up emotions, but also defined him as man with deeply repressed rage. Ang spent basically an hour getting the audience to believe that there could be a monster lurking in Banner, and when he finally does shows up, it is truly a great payoff. As The Hulk screams out in uncontrollable anger, literally smashing everything in his way. I must also add that I enjoyed seeing Bruce's relationship with Betty Ross explored within the first 20 minutes, and by doing this, Ang left us with a pair of two three-dimensional, fully fleshed out characters. Throw in Betty's father General Ross, who is played by Sam Elliot as so straight-edged that by shaking his hand you are extremely likely to recieve a paper cut, and you have a very interesting trinity of characters that basically do a good job overshadowing every other character in the film. Which wasnt particularly a good thing. But was a little bit expected, as this was indeed some awesome casting.

And although there were some moments in the film that I quite enjoyed, there are some very weak moments as well. The conflict between the Banner's near the end of the film definately comes to mind. As it's played by Bana and Nolte with the most gravest voices, and comes across as extremely melodramatic, and even laughable at times.

Bottom Line: Despite the film's apparant flaws, I liked this flick. I enjoyed it a great deal. But I believe it ultimately proved disappointing to a number the films target audience, and to hardcore comic book fans with Ang Lee's personal take on The Hulk. Still, I enjoy it for what it is. And especially for the fact that it did not turn out to be just another summer popcorn flick with wall-to-wall action as it was no doubt assumed to be, but rather a film that actually had atleast some depth to it. Definately not THE definitive HULK movie (especially if you are a comic book reader), but it was, I felt, a very serious, and welcomed take on a Marvel Comics character that has been around for 40+ years.

So yeah ... I would have anticipated a Ang Lee "HULK 2" very much.

Absolutely. :up:

Sigh with regret perhaps? I always find it interesting with people trying to justify HULK and say how it's actually a decent film, when really, when it gets down to it, it's just not. Ang Lee is quite an overrated director as is, and I wouldn't fancy seeing him doing the sequel, partly due to the fact that a filmmaker shouldn't get away with making a bad film like HULK without reprocussions and then carrying on.

Sigh with regret perhaps? I always find it interesting with people trying to justify HULK and say how it's actually a decent film, when really, when it gets down to it, it's just not. Ang Lee is quite an overrated director as is, and I wouldn't fancy seeing him doing the sequel, partly due to the fact that a filmmaker shouldn't get away with making a bad film like HULK without reprocussions and then carrying on.

It's not your type of film fair enough but you have to accept that alot of people found it a good movie, for me it IS a good movie, it's just a difference in opinions.

Ang Lee's HULK was a truly unique (although completely from Ang Lee's own personal perspective) ride into the subconscious of one Bruce Banner.

And because it is unique, the world will not tolerate its existence! :bh:

My reaction to Ang Lee's Hulk 2:

bangheadji3.gif

I would have been fine with Ang Lee Directing another film if there were better writers. All the problems except for editing, were horrible decisions made by someone with lack of sleep and bordering on psychosis.
-mutated dogs (The the fight was not bad, its not necessary...Its the hulk, Dont water down the brutatlity and give him something better to fight.
-Absorbent Man (Why? Who would do this? Who would have the hulk fight water?)
-My heart was like "Boom, Boom":::Begins choking Betty::: Once again, WHY?
-Editing - I for one liked the story based part of the origin but some people had a problem and felt that the movie took too long to get going and show the hulk. For them, I say the editing could have been done a little better. Not ALL of it was necessary.
-DONT WATER DOWN THE HULK - The only reason I have a LITTLE faith in the Letterier is because he stated that the hulk should be a walking wrecking ball and not watered down like in the first movie (Though he liked it). The hulk had shining moments of anger and the transormation in the house with talbot goes next to nightcrawler and spiderman/doc oc train fight as the best 5 minutes in a superhero movie so far.

I wouldn't mind if Ang Lee directed because i think he did a beautiful job, especially with the transitions between certain scenes. I would just have to know that different writers were on the story. I am still not sure what to think of "Ed Norton's changes" To the hulk. I love the guy, but he is an actor, not a myth doctor.

I liked HULK pretty much IN SPITE of Ang Lee's directing. The 70's split screens were annoying and sometimes intrusive and the Home Improvement style transitions were unnecessary at best. I cant stand when video game adaptations of comic books try to insert panals in a manner thats not even how they work (why would a panal be moving? if comics could animate themselves they wouldnt have to have panals) and I dont understand why a film adaptation would try to emulate not the look of the comic its adapting's world but the actual look of a comic book. I don't hate it because its inventive (it isnt), I hate it because its a pointless, cheap novelty. I really liked the intensity of Banner and the buildup to discovering the tragedy of his origin, though as with anything like that (Return of the Joker, Sons of Liberty) the actual reveal was pretty disappointing. I dont even hate Ang Lee, I thought Brokeback was pretty sweet and more action packed as well.

Still, its no Elektra, and if Ang Lee made a sequel to it I would see it but we can discuss whether we want to see sequels to bad Hulk films again later this July.

An Ang Lee Hulk 2 would not have been very different from the existing one. Banner on the run, has to decide between curing himself or saving humanity as the Hulk. The choice between the hero's life and his duty is one of the three essential storylines, and it's no more prominent than in Hulk stories.

i wouldnt complain at a sequel, i think Hulk was a brillant film and i think Ang Lee is a great director.

The first Hulk was a solid, albeit flawed movie. Ang Lee takes criticism well, learns, and has also grown since as a director. It would have been a kickass film.

If Ang made a sequel it would suck because ****in' Marvel would pressure him into making an action flick. Hulk is the best Marvel movie and unfortunately it will stay that way because theater-goers are morons.

Gamma, I swear. You and Art teacher are quickly becoming favorite posters of mine. You guys say what you mean, and mean what you say. rock on.

Gamma, I swear. You and Art teacher are quickly becoming favorite posters of mine. You guys say what you mean, and mean what you say. rock on.

Aw, shucks!
*kicks imaginary pebble on ground*
Thanks!

:yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"