Illumination's Super Mario movie

Cool to hear it's actually moving.

Reactions: CJ
Cool, but I still don't know how this will work when Mario doesn't talk in the games outside a brief 'it's-a me!' or 'woo-hoo!'

Maybe they'll add a talking Mario for the film. We'll have to see in the trailers

I could see Dan fogler being a great Mario

I wonder who they will get to play Toad...or the toads. I could see toad village being the new minions
he's looking more like Luigi these days
harry-potter-dan-fogler-100-pounds-weight-loss-shutterstock-post.jpg

Last edited:
same, for me it’ll succeed or fail by how they get the visuals. I hope they have a Mario kart scene. That would be cute
If this movie succeeds on visuals alone then it's a rare film indeed. I mean it's not going to be a technical achievement like Avatar I imagine. So it's got to charm people with the characters I think.

Cool to hear it's actually moving.

same, I often think about what’s happening with this and the duke nukem movie.

I’m not so worried after Witcher was done so well. As in, video games and film can happily sit side by side if they’re done by the right people

SUPER MARIO BROS. Movie Tops "America's List Of Most Wanted Video Game Films"

Video GamesHeadlinesVideos
SUPER MARIO BROS. Movie Tops "America's List Of Most Wanted Video Game Films"
9487.jpg

Super Mario Bros. topped the results of a wide-spanning, new poll which asked what video game the general public would most want adapted to the big screen. See the results...
Nebula | 3/2/2020
Filed Under: "Video Games" Source: Gamefragger
afd-1-4-3-2-2-2-1-3-1-3-6-4.jpg
Just last month, Nintendo's Shuntaro Furukawa stated that production of their and Illumination Entertainment's Super Mario Bros. animated movie was "moving along smoothly" and they're expecting it will be in theatres by 2022. Click here to check out that report.

The Hollywood Reporter recently hosted an interesting, new poll which asked what video game movie the general public would be most intrigued by. Unsurprisingly, some of the most major players featured in the results.

Super Mario Bros. not only topped the list but was also essentially sprinkled throughout — what with the inclusion of Donkey Kong, Super Smash Bros., and Mario Kart.

The likes of The Legend of Zelda and Pac-Man also made the list — the latter coming in second place to Nintendo's iconic plumber. Final Fantasy also got a mention alongside the likes of Grand Theft Auto, Call of Duty, and Minecraft.

Hmm, didn’t predict donkey Kong would rate so high. Or Spyro would rate so low

How is Pac-Man so high? I guess Pixels didn’t kill interest.

I still am so worried that this is being made by Illumination. I watched Secret Life of Pets 2 a few days ago, it was pretty bad. And their Grinch was very bad. Basically only their first Despicable Me was any good.

Depends on whose writing.

Yeah, I'm not big on Illumination doing this. My biggest fear is that the outcome is going to be similar to The Grinch.

I fully expect the Goombas to ape the Minions like those fish in The Lorax tried to do.

Eh. I like Illumination. For the most part, the films have been at least moderately funny. I even enjoyed Secret Life of Pets 2 for what it was. Then again, I just look at my kids. If they like it, and it isn't complete hot garbage, I'm good.

Grinch was easily their most forgettable film for me. Then again, I typically don't like it when a studio takes a story that can be told in an 18 minute long cartoon, and stretches it out to 90 minutes. Imagine if Warner Brothers tried to stretch out the classic Daffy Duck Robin Hood cartoon into a 90 minute thing...yech.

I mean they can go outside their box if need be, but most of their character designs look the same if you go by the humans. They need to switch it up.

The Illiumination films I've seen, I've enjoyed. The biggest problem with them though is you'll only ever really want to watch them one time and never really re-visit them. Enjoyable on initial watch and that's that.

How is Pac-Man so high? I guess Pixels didn’t kill interest..

I think what the list shows is, nostalgia is very powerful. So basically every game that was big a month ago is in high demand for a movie

Haha I could see them keeping martinet for the lead but getting an A list scene chopper like Jim Carrey as Bowser

Danny Devito and Jim Carrey for Wario & Waluigi

Haha I could see them keeping martinet for the lead but getting an A list scene chopper like Jim Carrey as Bowser
Mario will 100% be voiced by a celebrity. I don't see Illumination sticking with Martinet.

Danny Devito and Jim Carrey for Wario & Waluigi
Oh god yes.

Don’t know, Mario is pretty iconic.

I just hope they don’t have, like, the Kevin hart type character. I watched the secret life of pets 2 last night and I realised every illumination has the Kevin hart type character. I guess they’ll try and do that with Toad?

The Illiumination films I've seen, I've enjoyed. The biggest problem with them though is you'll only ever really want to watch them one time and never really re-visit them. Enjoyable on initial watch and that's that.

Their problem is that they generally aren't funny. Despicable Me 3 was boring. So was Minions. Just really pedestrian and paint by numbers.

The Secret Life of Pets movies were awful and unfunny.

The first Despicable Me was kind of OK IMO and then it's been diminishing returns in terms of quality since that film.

They keep using the same writers is what the problem is. Sing was a little bit off the mark due to the actual director writing it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"