I'm the Batman of the internet!

Lunar_Wolf

WTF face
Reaction score
I've only used Paypal to buy items before, not sell. So this is all new to me. Being naive, I didn't think much of what first followed.

You see, I'm selling my Nikon D50 and four lens on buyandsell.ie. It's more less an Irish ebay.

I received an email from buy and sell saying a man named Matt Smith wanted to make a enquiry about the product. I emailed this fellow and he said

Hello

Thanks for contacting me regarding the item listed for sale,am very much interested in buying this item from you and am okay with your sale asking price for the item.

I want to use this item as a birthday gift to my cousin in west africa and am willing to pay for the item €730 and shipping €55 via Ireland AN postal service.I'm willing to pay you using my paypal account.

Kindly send me your paypal email so that i can make the payment to you.

Thanks

I found it odd that he said he was cool with the asking price, which was 800, not 785. But I'm trying to raise money for my film so I thought ''rock on man, give me that money''.

The only details I gave him was my email address(which he had anyway), so thank goodness this didn't go further.

''Paypal'' emailed me this morning saying I received the payment and I needed to email them back the tracking number.

First thing I noticed was the horrible grammar.

you are expected to provide us with the item shipment tracking number within 24hours of this notification.notify us within 24hours so that we can released the money to your account.

I went to my paypal account and saw no money in my balance, then I checked out about sending tracking numbers to paypay, which I found out you don't do.

Then I googled [email protected] and noticed the scams that went along with this email address along with [email protected]

So kids, watch out. The internet is a dangerous place, just like the streets you walk.

grandma-meme-nigerian-prince.jpg

Always be wary of potential buyers who keep referring to "this item you're selling" without naming it.

Every scam email I've gotten from somebody that wanted to buy what I was selling always uses the word "kindly" in the final sentence. It was uncanny.

Just had a friend he took hit the same way. A fake email from "PayPal" saying to send the item right away, and give them tracking info so they can release the funds. Looks like this is the new trick.

I think if they ever try it on me, I'll send them a registered letter, explaining how I've forwarded their info to the FBI, and email him back its tracking number. See if my funds get released.

Isn't Matt Smith the guy on Doctor Who? :oldrazz:

Thats the first thing i thought, and thought maybe thats where the first post was heading.

If I ever get any email for my bank, credit provider, or anything financial, I never click on any links in the email. I always go directly to their website myself to check my account. There are far too many phony email addresses out there made to look like they're coming from the real companies.

He sent me another email asking did I sent him the item. I sent him the following

Yes, you may know the update on the ''item''. I'm not sending it to you.

1) I did not receive your payment.
2) Your email has been named on many sites as a ''scammer''.
3) The paypal email is not official. Paypay do not ask for shipping information.
4) You're an idoit
5) Go **** youself.
6) Did you know The American cat population reached nearly 68 million in 1996?

Thank you for wasting your time.

If I ever get an email from Matt Smith, I'm sending him some dudity in return. Hopefully he responds back.

I like to mess with scammers a bit on those types of things. Write him back with a sob story about needing to sell your father's earthly possessions to be able to learn kung-fu and avenge his death.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"