Iron Man 2 Imax?

BigCityBoy

Civilian
Reaction score
I know at one point Favreau wanted to shoot scenes in IMAX for the sequel but later on decided not to do it because it would be expensive. At any rate, due to the format's rising popularity, will it still be given a IMAX release even though there won't be any scenes shot in that format?

I think that it's indeed a good choice for John to make IM2 even better, but again - the main problem is the price.

When i was on set I never saw any of the Imax cameras. So I don't think this movie is going to Imax

it's just very expensive and tiresome to use the Imax cameras.

Well it should at least get an IMAX release. If not for the lack of that, IM1 surely would have beaten TF1 domestically at the box office. Too bad they chose not to release it there later in it's run, as TF1 did.

When i was on set I never saw any of the Imax cameras. So I don't think this movie is going to Imax

You don't need IMAX cameras to release a movie in that format. I think they're going to digitally re-master and blow up the film which is what Favreau says they're looking in to doing.

^Exactly. Quite frankly it'd be dumb($-wise) not to do at least that.

From the Wall Street Journal:
AUGUST 4, 2009, 3:05 P.M. ET

Imax Gains Film-Release Flexibility From Digital >IMAX

By Andy Georgiades
Of DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

TORONTO (DOW JONES)--A year into its era of digital projection, Imax Corp. (IMAX) is making the most of the increased flexibility it has in releasing Hollywood hits.

There was a time an Imax film needed a release window of at least 6-8 weeks to make a decent return from its small large-format network. But the advent of digital has allowed it to show more films in runs half as long.

It recently announced two more films for 2009: "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" for Sept. 18, and "Where the Wild Things Are" on Oct. 16, giving it a three-week run before "A Christmas Carol" on Nov. 6.

Eric Wold, analyst at Merriman Curhan Ford, estimates the break-even point for Imax is about $10 million, assuming the film-conversion cost is $1.25 million and Imax collects 12.5%.

He said the lower costs associated with digital, coupled with a larger theater network, allow for three-to-four-week runs, or less. It's all about picking the right mix of content to get the most out of each movie, he said, adding that some big movies can break even for Imax in the first weekend. Most Hollywood films gross more than half their total in the first two weeks.

A year ago, it would have been impossible for Imax to program "Star Trek," which opened May 8, because the company had agreed to play "Night at the Smithsonian" May 22. With digital, it was able to squeeze in a showing of "Star Trek" for that two-week period.

It proved to be a smart move. The film grossed nearly $162 million in its first 14 days in the U.S. and Canada, or about 63% of its total. The Imax domestic take was $22.5 million, plus $4.1 million overseas.

Next year presents a similar opportunity with "Iron Man 2," which opens May 7. Imax has already committed to show the next "Shrek" film on May 21, but as the "Star Trek" experience proved, the first two weeks are the most important to have.

"Iron Man 2" is being released by Viacom Inc.'s (VIA) Paramount Pictures unit, which also released "Star Trek." Imax declined to comment on "Iron Man 2"; Paramount couldn't immediately be reached for comment.

Company Web Site: http://www.imax.com
Source: http://online.wsj.com/article/BT-CO-20090804-715364.html

I know what film I'll be seeing on Imax next year. :)

I'll be absolutely stunned if there's no IMAX release for this.

Same here.For the first film, fine. They took a chance on a non A list comic character, but seeing how succesful it turned out to be I can't imagine why they would skip the opportunity to stretch the film on Imax.

I will be living at the IMAX if it's released there.

I'm spending about a week living in the theater, Imax or not. I mean, I saw the first one more than a dozen times in theaters. I'm sure I'll watch this one even more.

Me too. I'm seeing this one more than the 5 times I saw the first one.

Awesome. I didn't know that they could make a Imax film without shooting it in Imax.

It would make sense to release IM2 in Imax. Make more money with IM2 than Shrek. Come on, do the math.

Yeah they can. I mean, TDK wasn't entirely filmed with the IMAX cameras only certain scenes... I think that is what happened, not 100% though...

I know, right? This is terrific news! If this movie wasn't meant for IMAX then I don't know what is. Can't wait to see WAR MACHINE on the BIGGEST screen ever!

P.S.
As soon as Marvel Studios get there ducks in a row, wouldn't it be amazing to see some of the scenes of their other upcoming movies shot with IMAX cameras?!

Yeah they can. I mean, TDK wasn't entirely filmed with the IMAX cameras only certain scenes... I think that is what happened, not 100% though...

Yes, it was only certain scenes filmed in IMAX for TDK. You can tell when you watch the DVD because the widescreen ratio changes for the IMAX scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"