Iron Man 2 Iron Man 2 - News, Reviews, Pictures and General Discussion

Keyser Soze

AW YEEEAH!
Reaction score
Hey folks!

For some of us, it's only a few days until Iron Man 2 is upon us! As we enter the final countdown, here's a thread where we can post news, pictures and - as they start coming in - reviews, all without fear of being exposed to spoilers. We can also use this thread for general discussion and speculation on whatever Iron Man 2 related topic springs to mind.

Fine by me. I guess the reviews are going to begin rolling in today. I already saw that French one. It would be nice if someone who understands French could translate it since the google translater was kinda, ummm.....messed up a bit. I got the gist that it was more or less a positive review but not much beyond that.

Finland in da house!
The movie opens here on May 5th and I'm going to see it probably two days after the premiere. So this topic could come in handy! By the way, a finnish movie site claims that the running time is 117 minutes. I guess this has been confirmed already?

When it comes to reviews for this, I probably won't read them but skip to the bottom to see their overall score.

I just hope no trolls bust on in here to throw a spoiler out to piss us off. It's happened in the past with other films. :(

^That should be an automatic banning then, IMO.

Why stop at banning? I think such a crime should carry the death penalty. ;)

I saw the movie last Thursday and will hopefully have a review up as soon as the greenlight is given.

Here's the overview of the review by Brent Sprecher of Comic Book Movies. Though the review itself was taken down, I believe this was the closest thing to a first review for the film. More coming up.

When you set the bar as high as director Jon Favreau and title star Robert Downey, Jr. did with the original Iron Man, it seems almost impossible for a sequel to live up to the expectations of the moviegoing audience, not to mention the avid (rabid?) comic book fans. Well, I fit into the second category and, as a comic book reader, collector and creator for several years, I was entranced, enthralled—hell, I was practically ensorcelled by Iron Man 2. Favreau recently said that the best way to up the ante in the sequel was to double your pleasure; two Iron Men for the price of one. But, Iron Man 2 does so much more than that.

A review by Sam Rubin on KTLA.com:

http://blogs.ktla.com/samrubin/2010/04/here-comes-summer-first-review-of-iron-man-2-a-smash-hit.html

So called ‘tentpole’ movies like Iron Man 2 tend to be critic proof; but there is relief to report that unlike other sequels for sequels sake, “Iron Man 2” delivers on several fronts including another charming performance from Robert Downey Jr. There is no doubt that “IM2” will be the first flat out smash of 2010, and with good reason, the film is well worth the price of admission. Director Jon Favreau has done it again, with great flair.

Plot details are never especially important, but the film kicks off with a great sequence set in at the Grand Prix in Monaco. Tony Stark, jumps into a Formula One racer and all is going well, until a new villain appears; a surprisingly coherent Mickey Rourke.

There is an especially sexy and believable turn by Scarlett Johansson as Tony’s new assistant, and Don Cheadle takes over successfully for Terrance Howard. Garry Shandling is a new add as a politico who does not like Tony and this appears mostly like Garry was a friend of someone involved in the production. Bill O’Reilly and Christiane Amanpour have fairly extensive cameos.

“IM2” has the same spirit and humor of the original. There is perhaps even more focus on relationships. It is one of those rare tentpole movies that I think will really have something for everyone.

Tonight’s first screening on the Paramount lot in Hollywood with a strict “no guest,” policy. This did not prevent CBS head Les Moonves from showing up with wife Julie Chen, and leaving the screening in a brand new SRS McLaren version of the Mercedes convertible. The car was extraordinary. This weekend brings the opening of Moonves’ CBS Films second release, “The Back Up Plan,” with Jennifer Lopez. By comparison, I suspect “IM2” will make more in it’s first day of release times ten than “Back Up Plan,” will make over the life of its’ entire run. Makes you wonder what Paramount head Brad Grey is driving.

French site NouvelObs.com posted up this review:

http://tempsreel.nouvelobs.com/actu.../iron-man-2-homme-de-fer-et-de-principes.html

It's in French, but Chewy kindly ran it through Google translator:

PARIS (AP) - "I privatized world peace," he trumpets. Iron Man is a man of iron and principles: no question of yielding to U.S. government secrets to the weapon that makes him invincible and can hold in check all the wicked of the world. However, the trouble will accumulate for him in "Iron Man 2" (Wednesday on French screens).

Two years after the first episode, director Jon Favreau Robert Downey Jr. again in the role of Tony Stark, billionaire playboy and a megalomaniac who has publicly revealed he was "Iron Man", a character with magic armor and implant palladium in the chest. Ex-arms manufacturer, heir to an industrial empire inherited from his father disappeared 20 years ago, Tony Stark has seen the horrors of war before being stored now in the peace camp.

So when he goes before the Senate Committee of Defense, which seeks to extricate him the secret of his armor, he replied: "Armor and I are one". Egocentric, glib, narcissistic womanizer, an alcoholic at times when he has no armor on the back between Robocop and Terminator, between Superman and Batman, Tony Stark would never suspect a thing and sees itself as the main benefactor and protector-of-humanity, half-Steve Jobs, mid-Bernard Tapie.

But when he decides to drive his own Formula-1 at the "Historic Grand Prix" in Monaco, he found someone suddenly across his path. Ivan Vanko (Mickey Rourke), who came from Siberia to the challenge and avenge his father, an engineer like him and who was, perhaps, the co-inventor of the famous armor. The man burst onto the runway in an outfit with an implant palladium external blew some cars, fights with a whip with electric Tony Stark / Iron Man, before being overpowered and arrested. "You lost, Stark!" He sneers before being taken away by police.

This incident will upset the fair insurance billionaire. "This man can continue to protect us?" Wonder loop televisions worldwide. The army redoubled zeal to get the secret of his armor. Justin Hammer (Sam Rockwell), a manufacturer of weapons without faith or law, also wants to seize it. And why does escape from prison Ivan Vanko.

Faced with adversity and danger, Tony Stark can count on his friend, Colonel Rhodes (Don Cheadle), on his faithful secretary Virginia "Pepper" Potts (Gwyneth Paltrow), whom he appointed president of its industrial empire, and a new dream creature, Natasha Romanoff (Scarlett Johansson), come from his legal department and it made a strong impression upon first meeting. All these allies will not be too much to recharge the batteries of an Iron Man who is dying slowly: its palladium implant inserted in his chest, near the heart, her body makes every day a little more toxic .. .

The action and special effects abound, of course, in this sequel to the adaptation of a comic book of Marvel Comics of the 60s. But the director puts more emphasis here on feelings and weaknesses of the main character. Tony Stark is a glib seducer but the game sentimental cat and mouse with the two women around him shows that he feels very lonely. He also suffers from lack of love lavished by his father, too preoccupied with her business. And he fears he's invincible, death as everyone else.

Robert Downey Jr is subtle in how to express these different facets of his character. It is surrounded by an impressive cast, and among the newcomers the sexy outfits (dresses or shapers) Scarlett Johansson does not trump a Mickey Rourke at the top of his long hair, goatee, solid gold false teeth, tattooed everywhere, botox to death, but a sober yet tasteful in his role as villain in Russian accent you could cut with a knife. AP

That's three positive reviews so far.

Good idea on this thread. Liking the look of these reviews so far.

I don't think I can even say.

Is that because your divided on if you like it or not or because of that review embargo?

If it's the embargo that shouldn't matter since reviews are already coming in, including SHH's review. I was just looking for a one word answer but i'll wait patiently for your review.

Figs, my embargo was lifted.

Yes, I liked the movie :D .

Figs, my embargo was lifted.

Yes, I liked the movie :D .

Glad to hear that you liked it!!

Was the scene that ties into the Avengers film pretty cool? Just a yes or no please, no details, I want to be surprised.

. . . honestly Yes and No. Hard to explain w/o details.

My review just got in and I'll post the link here once its up.

I believe I saw the after credits scene already.. I liked it alot if it was the real thing.

Annoying and painful week coming up. It is so tempting to check Rottentomatoes rating but I decided not to even read any reviews (well, fully). If it was in practice possible, easiest thing to do would be to just quit internet for a week. :D

Okay, so the sudden onslaught of reviews after the embargo lift caught me a LITTLE bit off-guard. Something tells me this thread won't be up to date with all the reviews. But I might try posting some of the best ones.

Annoying and painful week coming up. It is so tempting to check Rottentomatoes rating but I decided not to even read any reviews (well, fully). If it was in practice possible, easiest thing to do would be to just quit internet for a week. :D

I've been trying to stay off this site for that reason.
Tempting enough to take a peek at the spoiler section but I must hold out.

Is there a Nightmare on Elm Street spoiler page,I can look at instead? :doh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"