Iron Man World Iron Man 2 War Machine Helmet

JAM

Civilian
Reaction score
Just pulled off my first cast of my Iron Man 2 War Machine Sculpt.
wm-first-cast.jpg

wm-first-cast2.jpg

I gotta do some clean up and then start cutting out the back of the helmet, the eyes and faceplate. :yay:

I'm jealous - I wanted to be the first to make one LoL

Looks good - I wanna see it cleaned up and painted...

I've gotta figure out what color to paint it. This is virgin territory here lol. I've got tons of pics I just need to figure out which paint would be the closest.

Krylon flat black, then mist it over with a flat gunmetal. Here is a few pics...
IronManSuitM4.jpg

im2.jpg

imhelmetsreference.jpg

imwm23.jpg

imwm4.jpg

inronmancap2.jpg

ironmanscrencap2.jpg

Thanks! I'll give that a try. The silver should be easy to do as well, looks like a gunmetal silver. Maybe even the same color as the silver Honda s2000?

One thing I like about this armor is that the shoulder bells move with the arm.. I've got an idea that includes a lazy susan type bearing to make the upper arm/shoulder bell move as one. Should increase the range of motion when wearing the armor.

Last edited:
After alot of sanding and dremeling this weekend here are the results!
back.jpg
topdown.jpg
Still needs some detail work on the other side, but it going pretty well. It's getting closer to being done everyday.

Update- The chin lip (where the faceplate sits when its closed) on the inside of the helmet is done. I still need to make some cheek plates on the inside and cut the trapezoids on the sides of the helmet where the chin is.
I've modified the inside of the faceplate so it clears the bump at the top of the helmet. I should be getting hinges today so the faceplate will be attached to the helmet and will allow it to open. After all this is done I will re-molding the helmet (in three pieces the helmet the faceplate and the back of the helmet) to catch all the wonderful detail that has been done to this helmet. I'll be doing a limited run on these after its all said and done. The helmet on the right is the one that has all the detailing done to it. Its a little smaller and looks more movie accurate i feel.

Very cool war machine helmet. I am finishing my own ironman helmet that I'm making out of fiberglass and bondo. I will be making a war machine helmet after I make a mold of the finished ironman and make some copies. I want to make sure that I have enough RTV silicone for the mold. Can you tell me how much silicone it took or about how much would I need. I have a 1/2 gallon right now and another 1/2 gallon on the way incase the first is not enough. It is brushable silicone so it will adhere to the helmet.

I used a quart of Urethane rubber to make this. Half of the 1/2 gallon i had went to my ironman helmet. I ended up using cab-o-sil to thicken up the urethane. If I had it to do over I would probably use a half gallon for the whole mold. The thicker the rubber the better the mold holds up and you dont get weird spots where the mold will cave in. thicker is better.
I haven't played with silcone yet, but I will soon when I'm finished with all the detail work on the helmet. A final mold should be about 2 weeks off.

Thanks I will definitely use the whole half gallon of silicone. I can't wait to finish my ironman so I can get started on war machine. I am also probably going to do a couple of comic book versions of the ironman helmet from copies of the original. I am going to make a post here soon of my progress on the ironman helmet. It is about 80 % done right now and I am pretty happy with it so far but it is very tedious. You war machine looks good it just needs a little clean up and fix the opening around the mouth. I seen a couple of pics of your ironman helmet. Do you have any updated pics? I would like to see it painted if you have any.

Ya I just bought half a gallon (4 pounds) of silicone this weekend and as soon as Im finished with all the detail work I want done I will be molding this one again.
100_0598.jpg

100_0601.jpg

100_0596.jpg

and a sneek peek at the armor
100_0582.jpg

A little bit big..

Looks good! I seen on another forum where you also made an ironman helmet before you made war machine. Do you have any finished painted pics of the ironman helmet? I was wondering what is the measurements for you helmet? I am making my ironman helmet right now and I am trying to make it the right size to where it's not to big or small. My helmet is about 8 1/2 - 9" tall (bottom to top), 7" wide (ear to ear) and 11-12 " long (back to front chin). Does that sound about right?

Last edited:
Thanks!
Ya the Iron Man helmet is sitting right now.. not painted. I've gotta get it finished though as I promised my brother in law one. Considering everyone and their grandma has an Iron Man helmet I decided to go with something that was off the beaten path so to speak.

I would have go check the measurement on the helmet, I think it was 7 1/2 inches wide, and the length I'm not to sure about.

I started another few fixes on the war machine helmet. I'm adding more detail since I noticed it some of the action figure shots I've got. The chin is being reworked right now. It'll be a little thicker and the circles around the ears a little thicker as well. I'll post some pics later today hopefully. I've also cut out the inside of the ears so it will be easier to cast these and attach them to the helmet later.

After all the detail work is done I'll be sanding the helmet down to a smooth finish, starting at 200 grit sandpaper and moving my way down to wet sanding and 1200 grit paper.

Cheers,
-Jay

Here's a quick up date on the war machine helmet, I've got the main part of the helmet casted. I'll be working on the face plate and back portion of the helmet tonight and making molds for each tomorrow.
Here is the master:
DSCN1325.jpg

finhelm1.jpg

and the cast helmet:
DSCN13241.jpg

DSCN13231.jpg

DSCN13221.jpg

The faceplate is not cast yet, just placed it on the helmet to check fitment and to take pics. The helmet is unpainted so far, and I think the color looks good. I'll end up painting these so that if it ends up getting scratched it will look like battle damage and not a painted cast.

Cheers!

-Jay

Here is the last updates on this generation helmet. I'll be re sculpting after the movie.
DSCN1471.jpg

DSCN1473.jpg

DSCN1475.jpg

Cheers!

-Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee