Superman Returns Is anyone else shocked we didn't see this scene?

SpandexFan

Civilian
Reaction score
With just about every major scene and line in the original movie "borrowed" to make Superman Returns, after Luthor is stranded on an island and Superman is reborn, was anyone else fully expecting Superman to drop Lex Luthor off once again in a prison and have Luthor give his "greatest criminal genius of our time" speech.

They did use the same Superman flying around the Earth scene, so I guess I got 1 out of 2 right. Honestly, was anyone else expecting this same scene as the movie was wrapped up? :D

I wasn't expecting an exact reproduction of that scene, but I did expect Superman to send Luthor to jail. I was disappointed that Lex was simply forgotten about.

Leaves it open for him to come back with his company.

yeah, i don't know how Lex is gonna get out of this one. if he gets caught, he'd most definitely end up in prison for life.

maybe he'll move to a foreign country or he'll use his 'fortune' to hire the world's best lawyers.

i like the irony that Lex wounds up on a tiny island when he just tried to destroy half the world just so that he can have his own continent. :up:

i wouldnt count Luthor out yet. and besides no one knew he was behind the earthquakes and NK. of course Lois can write about that but we never actually see this onscreen. so who know how they'll spin this in the sequel (if we will have one).

think about it, the only people who knew that Lex was the brains behind the disaster are his own goons (which are dead), Kitty, Lois, Jason and Superman. Richard and Jimmy may also be counted but they arent direct witnesses to the deed. no one else knows. so unless the Daily Planet does an expose on this no one would know.

could Lex come back and do something that will keep Lois/ Richard/ Clark from writing the story about what he did? kidnap Jason? with a perfect superhuman why would he even want to be near that boy? he knows Jason is immune to Kryptonite and he cant really kill him. the wisest move for Lex is to keep as much distance between himself and the boy.

maybe he'll make a deal with lois to keep jason's father a secret if she doesn't write a story about lex's involvement in NK.

coast city said:
maybe he'll make a deal with lois to keep jason's father a secret if she doesn't write a story about lex's involvement in NK.

hmm... didnt think of that angle.

but what could the backlash be of the World knowing that Superman is the father of her child? that every kidnapper would be on the lookout for Jason? they wouldnt even want to be anywhere near that kid if they knew, either from fear of getting a beating from his father or from the kid himself :p.

unless you're thinking about the old Kent nightmare: scientists taking the child away and turning him into a lab rat.

Superman could always just give Lex the kiss of forgetfullness. :eek:

I find it odd that Lex threatens the lives of billions and is forgotton about like he never did anything wrong. I guess he learned his lesson?

I think Lex will try to play the victim card: "Superman destroyed my plans at helping humanity, Superman destroyed my boat, and he left me to die on an island!" He'll use the fact that they couldn't keep him in jail because there was no cause or witnesses (as Superman failed to show up).

Lex will introduce a new way to prevent crime/enforce the law, maybe in Metallo. Lex will get the support and trust of the people of Metropolis, and it will be up to Superman to not only stop Metallo, but to let the people know that he is the one to trust.

Lex can blame the whole Island thing on Superman.

Fact is, it was Superman who brought the technology to earth, it was his responsebilety.

He did not even bother to hide the crystals. He is in fact to blame.

Conundrum said:
I wasn't expecting an exact reproduction of that scene, but I did expect Superman to send Luthor to jail. I was disappointed that Lex was simply forgotten about.

being trapped on that island was punishment enough.... the thing was so big that half the helicopter took it up

Hey anyone else notice that Lex is LOST?
locke.jpg
"Welcome to the island my fellow bald survivor."

what would have been great for me was if Lex pulled out a gun and shot Kitty or choked her to death.

I'm not sure if that's what he was going to do and is why kitty was running away from lex. But He's not seriously going to eat a dog is he?

Anyway I'm sure a man of his talents will orchestrate another master plan to do evil bad things once he gets off lamb-chop island.

Steelsheen said:
i like the irony that Lex wounds up on a tiny island when he just tried to destroy half the world just so that he can have his own continent. :up:

i wouldnt count Luthor out yet. and besides no one knew he was behind the earthquakes and NK. of course Lois can write about that but we never actually see this onscreen. so who know how they'll spin this in the sequel (if we will have one).

think about it, the only people who knew that Lex was the brains behind the disaster are his own goons (which are dead), Kitty, Lois, Jason and Superman. Richard and Jimmy may also be counted but they arent direct witnesses to the deed. no one else knows. so unless the Daily Planet does an expose on this no one would know.

could Lex come back and do something that will keep Lois/ Richard/ Clark from writing the story about what he did? kidnap Jason? with a perfect superhuman why would he even want to be near that boy? he knows Jason is immune to Kryptonite and he cant really kill him. the wisest move for Lex is to keep as much distance between himself and the boy.
I agree :up:

i dont think jason stays alive and if he does its not on earth.

Steelsheen said:

Here's something that confused me. Was the kid really immune to kryptonite or not? When Lex is giving his "Superman can't stop me, blah blah blah" rant and then he pauses and looks at Jason, and holds the kryptonite up to him, it appears that it doesn't effect Jason and he retains the same, stupid look he has on his face throughout the entire movie.

But what made this scene odd to me was that before Lex does this, he suddenly pauses and asks Lois who Jason's father is, suspecting it to be Superman. My question is this... did he ask her that because it just suddenly donned on him that Lois and Superman might have had a thing back in the day, or did he pick up on it because Jason WAS reacting to the kryptonite, it's just that the kid was such a bad actor that we, the audience, couldn't TELL he was reacting?

I'm sorry... I know he's just a young kid, and children at that age very rarely can develop good acting talent... but that kid looked more catatonic than Jean Grey throughout X-Men 3.

i think it's better that they left Luthor on a stranded island, for future sequels. just in case. instead of dropping him off at prison.... again.
also, it would've been cool if he used that "greatest criminal mind" line. but, atleast he did use the "beachfront property" line. lol

Steelsheen said:

Well, it's actually pretty ludicrous if you think about it. They want us to believe a state-of-the-art helicopter has no radio in it? No way to call for help? Even without gas, he should still be able to use the radio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"