Superman Returns superman returns; your way

epc11223

Civilian
Reaction score
while i really enjoyed superman returns in the theater, as well as whenever i pop in the dvd, i must say there are things that i would have done differently. i'm sure this has been talked about to death, but i was wondering what people would do with their version of superman returns based as a sequel to the first two films.

for me, i would have superman definitely tell everyone that he was leaving. then say good bye to lois. i would also have lex sent to prison but then breaking out of prison during the time period that superman is gone. there he becomes an underground scientist that develops his armor suit much like iron man. instead of superman being gone for five years, i'd only have it about a year. in that time span i would have lex actually kidnap lois and clone her. we wouldn't know that she was a clone till the second act when superman finds her to be so cold. he can't believe that she's changed so much. the movie in the third act still has a search for the real lois. but in the end he doesn't find her anywhere on earth. lex's battlesuit is helped created by brainiac and you see brainiac has lois to experment on her. that would be the end of the movie that would conclude the story in the sequel.

1) recap of superman 1 and 2 through pictures
2) you see a brief glimpse of a news report of superman saying good bye
3) story picks up with superman saying goodbye to lois and hoping to return soon,
4) superman knows that there must be a clark kent, so he creates a robot that looks exactly like him. you see superman lift to space in some cool scene
5) next you see lex in prison and there's a big bomb with him breaking out
6) from superman 2 he knows how much lois means to superman and immediately kidnaps her.
7) you see his story of him stealing supplies for his armored suit for when superman comes back.....and then you see "1 year later"
8) you see lois is at the daily planet and there's a report of a crash landing in florida.
9) it's a spaceship and superman comes back.
10) you see superman greeted by reporters and he doesnt see lois. he's kind of surprised but then he says how he needs some time but is happy to be home.
11) superman deactivates his clark kent and puts him back into the fortress of solitude.
12) the real clark kent is back at the planet and everything seems to be normal; he leaves a note for lois so they can do the meet up and she doesn't look too happy about.
13) they meet up and she's so disgusted with him where she actually slaps him. superman can't understand why but is so hurt.
14) you then see superman doing his normal saves
15) lex luthor does his grand scheme with his power suit and it's extremely powerful. it's a mix of iron man/metallo/power suit and it's complete bad ass.
16) he actually beats superman in a battle and then you have lex tell superman how he's going to destroy him.
17) superman breaks free and beats lex. while lex is losing the battle he tells superman how he's actually kidnapped lois. superman asks where she is and then lex tells him how "as smart as i am, you think i could have done this by myself" while i am the mastermind, i had a friend. then we find out that lois was kidnapped by brainiac.
18) brainiac wants to learn more about humans and he hates krypton and was the reason why it was destroyed.
19) you see a destroyed lair of lex and you see superman completely distrut. he falls to his knees and you have a "to be continued" where superman faces brainiac in the sequel.

in the sequel you see massive fights btwn superman brainiac and brainiac takes control of many of the machines including the clark kent that superman constructed in his absence.

i kind of took bits and pieces of various stories, but i think that would have made for a better superman returns. you still had superman/lex and it would have set up for a superman brainiac and would have been more of a sequel to the first two without having the kid, but had the tensions from lois to superman.

what would you do?

Instead of SR being a continuation from Superman 2 i think a more interesting idea would've been to continue from Superman 4. Before you all start complaining just read on. The only reason Singer didn’t do this, is so his plot with Lois getting pregnant would work out. Anyway the biggest problem with Superman 4 was the execution not the idea.

You want a morally conflicted Supes, look no further than that film. He honestly doesn’t know what to do, whether he should interfere in mankind’s affairs by destroying Nuclear missles. He addresses the United Nations, which was interesting to see how the world views superman. He visits the Fortress and it’s interesting to see him talk to Kryptonian elders about the dilemma, they mention that if earth is destroyed there are other more advanced worlds he could go to in which war has been eliminated. Also at the end of the film Superman gives a great speech about how and when we as humans may attain world peace, which highlights his belief in humanity, then he also talks about other advanced civilizations out there that humans will one day meet, the look on Chris Reeve’s face in that scene was terrific. Also we despite how dumb his scenes turned out, Lex Luthor was shown to actually be a genius in creating Nuclear man, rather than a cheap con artist who wants real estate.

Multiple times the movie references other advanced alien civilizations. It reminded me of how George lucas mentions the clone wars in star wars, but never shows anything from it b/c he didn’t feel like the technology was right at that time. The setup was there in Superman 4 to later show some of these alien civilizations, and if lex was to return he could’ve been better defined as a scientific genius rather than a real estate Mongol.

SR could’ve addressed the current state of world affairs and superman may have wondered if he’d done enough to prevent the new wars from arising (a soft reference to superman 4). At this point an advanced alien civilization shows up, similar to the “V” tv show, full armada of giant ships across the world. The world quickly gravitates towards them, and their promises of peace and advancement. Superman is hopeful but a little skeptical at first, people also start favoring the new aliens rather than superman. Clark and Lois are trying to investigate these new vistors while superman seeks knowledge from the fortress of solitude. He’s surpised there is no record of this civilization, or if there is they’ve supposedly been wiped out, so he’s suspicious. At some point it’s revealed that one of Supes classic villains is behind this “arrival” and it’s really an invasion. Supes has to use all of this powers and insight to fight off this threat. We couldn’ve introduced Star Labs, the science police, and eetc. Supes realizes that he needs Luthor’s help (scientific genius lex not real estate con artist) and somehow they work together to stop the aliens. Luthor is pardoned and the setup is there for him to become corporate lex in the sequels.

This is what should’ve happened with SR.

Well I would have made Superman Birthright personally BUT if I had to make some changes to Superman Returns I would have had it so Clark was always around but he had lost his powers and thats why no one had seen Superman in a long time. In this time I would have had Clark get closer to Lois (there is your love triangle). During this time Lex would have become a model citizen and a business man who had helped build most of Metropolis. I would have then had Superman return when Clark tries to stop a bank robbery and is shot but the bullet hits him and doesnt penetrate his flesh. I would have had him regain his powers and would have still had the amazing plane sequence.

Then I would have Lex Luthor unhappy at the fact that Superman is back So he rescuues General Zod been rescued from captivity, he would have then helpo Zod get Zod's powers back. I would have had the film end with a huge fight in the fortress between a repowered Zod and Superman.

At the end I would have had Superman not been able to proove Lex was behind anything but that he'd keep an eye on him. I would then have had Clark tell Lois he is Superman after she tells him she loves him.

For me the only thing I would have changed would have been I would have either left the movie uncut or changed Richards role. I also would have changed it that Clark and Lois had a relationship before he left much like they did in the comics before he told her he was Superman. That way it would have worked better when he returned and she would be fighting her feelings for Clark more then Superman. Also when Jason is revealed to be Superman's son Lois would finally put two and two together. If I had to keep Jason I would have for the sequel made him into Mon-El which his race is a cross between Kryptonians and Humans (which could explain why he was always sick). To go even further if l I would have after the credits end more like Superman: Last Stand of New Krypton where when Mon-El goes into the Phantom Zone you see it being reopened by Superboy and the Legion welcoming him. I would have done that with Jason that way he is not killed off and it is a good set up for a legion movie. What I would have done instead would have been made a sequel to the movie because like BB I think things could have been improved on with a sequel then a reboot. Where I would have set the movie to that place no later then one to two weeks after the events of Superman Returns and made it kind of like John's Last Son/Brainiac arc mix in with the JLU Justice Lords arc. Where instead of Zod attacking you have Brainiac or maybe use Darkseid (so everytime they fight it feels more personal) but either one of them is ruthless and provides just as much of a challenge. However I would have the ending and action more like Last Son where you see Jason be the hero for his send off into the Phantom Zone. But in the same like the JLU Justice Lords arc I would have had Lex help Superman and get a pardon of all his crimes and start to "redeem" himself in the public eye and starting Lexcorp with the tech left over from Brainiac or Darkseid depending on which villain you used. Another thing I would have done with this would be advertise better then what they did with SR. For example have like a five to ten minute short movie like they did with Gotham Knight only this time have it relate to the movie unlike GK did where you can have Clark back in Smallville telling Martha about Jason or Lois coming to terms about Jason's powers and her anger or feelings or understand Clark and Superman are one things like that. Another thing I would have done for the sequel is have Clark Kent revel to Lois he is Superman and have it end with them together.

The reason why I chose this way is because I think if left uncut Superman Returns was a great movie and probably IMO one of the best Superman stories I have seen in and out of the comics. And much like Batman Begins I think it would have done better with a sequel.

Adapt and Expand Alan Moore's WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE MAN OF TOMMORROW?

Nuff said.

How would I have done Superman Returns?

1. Well for starters, I wouldn't have introduced Jason or Richard White's characters in this film's universe. Given that this was the first Superman film in nearly 20 years, I don't think it was right timing wise to bring a son to the mix. And a character like Richard White was just unnecessary as well.

2. I would have put more focus on presenting a Metropolis and world in general that had changed greatly since Superman had left. This was one of the BIGGEST misses that SR had. Instead of just focusing on how much Superman's love life had been affected, they should have gone for the bigger picture, and created a world that was dark and gloom since Superman had left. Corruption would have taken over and people would have lost hope.

3. Present a more sinister and menacing Lex. Seriously, the only time that I felt Lex was a scary villain in SR was when Supes was getting the crap beaten out of him. Instead of having him go after the whole land plot thing, have him presented as someone who had been enlightened during his time in prison, where he learned that by getting real revenge on superman, that he should take away the ppl's trust in him and have it for himself (Lex).

4. Speaking of Lex, if you don't another villain, but still want a super fight, have lex create his comic book battle suit to fight superman.

5. The Clark/Superman and Lois relationship in SR was terrible, so they could have done a lot to have made that better and not have Lois come off as so shallow while Clark come off as a stalker at times.

Some random thoughts:

1. Peta Wilson as Mercy. Got rid of Parker Posey, recast Kal Penn.

2. Lex as a 'rehabiliated' businessman. LexCorp would be a big successful global corporation and Lex would have largely erased his bad guy image. Perhaps Lex has done something to save the world in Superman's absence, like stop a meteor shower or LexCorp technology has helped save lives due to a natural disaster or increased world food production or something like that. So, he's been getting a lot of praise. Until Superman returns to steal his thunder.

3. Superman has to work harder to earn the trust of people of Metropolis and the world. After the initial joy of the airplane rescue the questions, accusations, and recriminations would begin. Would introduce Turpin and Maggie Sawyer as cops who feel either perfectly capable of handling crime without Superman or feel he left them in a lurch and that he's unreliable. Another person who doesn't trust Superman is General Sam Lane. He's still suspicious of Kryptonians because of Zod and Superman's sudden decision to leave Earth makes him even less trusting of Superman's motives. Have a couple perhaps comedic scenes were Superman is getting acclimated to a changed world.

4. No Jason or Richard White. Lois is successful but very driven, very bitter. She's convinced herself that she doesn't need Superman and no other man has really fit the bill. So she consoles herself with work. But she has a new, younger, and sexier rival in Cat Grant.

5. Lex and General Lane are working together, like Project 7734. LexCorp and the US government are experimenting with kryptonite, in part because of its potential for a weapon/energy source and two, as a defense against rogue Kryptonians or other extraterrestial threats. Metallo is the result of these experiments and he is the main villain of the story, with Lex and Lane in the background.

6. No Kate Bosworth as Lois. Iffy on Brandon Routh. Spacey was a great choice though I think he was poorly directed.

7. Brighten up the colors, particularly with Superman's suit.

How they really should have done it... I've been wanting a Superman Returns style trilogy or quadrilogy for so long in this vein. Singer really did have the right idea but totally ****ed it up.

First off the Marketing should have been EXACTLY like Dark knight's - viral marketing, random posters, puzzles with stuff like WHERE IS SUPERMAN? WHERE HAS HE GONE? WHY HAS HE LEFT? How cool would that be? To go into your theater and see like a poster of the Superman symbol with a huge question mark on it with a phrase of like when will he return? Where is he? Stuff like this.

The film itself should have focused on Lex gaining access to advanced Kryptonian technology to form Lexcorp and advanced weapons to sell to the military and to militaries abroad as a treacherous bastard. One of his greatest creations is Metallo using one of his lackey thugs. Superman using his skills as a journalist and as Superman of course finally reveals the fraud and criminal Lex is. Metallo is unleashed as a last move such that Lex can get away - Superman fights Metallo and although gets his ass kicked manages to come out on top finally and destroy Metallo and then in his weakened state goes after Lex. Lex as a last move manages to shoot his kryptonian missile into the sea to create New Krypton - Superman manages to lift New Krypton to outer space much like the movie before falling but he still manages to survive. All the while the Alien virus that krept onto Kal El's ship in the beginning of the film as Brainiac manages to transmit itself to the now space floating New Krypton and creates a body for himself and now has a huge home base just hovering above Earth. He sees there is one last Kryptonian left and this is where the film ends.

The sequel basically takes the course of a balls to the walls through and through shorter tighter action film of having Brainiac trying to convince Superman to join him and recreate or relocate New Krypton to Earth but Superman won't have any of it. Brainiac unleashes hell on the world with only Superman able to stop it - As Brainiac is losing he initiates the Doomsday program which creates Doomsday out of the materials that New Krypton is made from and Doomsday is sent to Earth to fight a weakened tired Superman. They have a long tremendously kick ass visual feast of a fight and both kill each other.

The third film would deal with his return from the grave even stronger than before but would deal with an all new threat - Darkseid leading to the formation of the justice league.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"