Is Snyder's DCEU Trilogy the worst Superhero film trilogy?

The Russos don't inspire my excitement for the next Avengers flicks. Their style just sucks.

The only thing they got wrong was the little bit of shaky cam from the beginning of Civil War.

I hate shaky cam. /grouchy smurf

But Winter Soldier made my top 5 all-time superhero movies so I'm glad they're doing Infinity War.

At least I know they're capable of a home run.

It wasn't but it was still good and had some rewatch value.
-CA: 75%
-TWS: 90%
-Civil War: Perfect.

Together it makes an amazing trilogy

If TFA was improved a fair bit for me (it's great to a lot of others I know) then it really would be an awesome trilogy. Not many films with a better combination of 2nd and 3rd film.

The only thing they got wrong was the little bit of shaky cam from the beginning of Civil War.

I hate shaky cam. /grouchy smurf

But Winter Soldier made my top 5 all-time superhero movies so I'm glad they're doing Infinity War.

At least I know they're capable of a home run.

Yep and I don't think there's many directors I would trust with this project.

If TFA was improved a fair bit for me (it's great to a lot of others I know) then it really would be an awesome trilogy. Not many films with a better combination of 2nd and 3rd film.

Think CA has the strongest combined 2nd and 3rd films in the genre personally.

Think CA has the strongest combined 2nd and 3rd films in the genre personally.

Hmm.

Yeah strongest first two has a few strong contenders.

Strongest 2nd and 3rd? Cap is in a class by himself.

In your opinion, I'm sure.
I actually think they kinda got worst.

The first one was half a good movie until it became a semi-rom com.

The second one dropped the lavish style and charm of the first one for something dull, bland and uninspired. Before GotG came out, I thought this was the worst MCU flick.

The third one was the best overall but not in all areas and still, that's not saying much coming from me.

I'm just not a fan of the Cap movies at all And I surely don't agree that they got progressively better.

The Russos don't inspire my excitement for the next Avengers flicks. Their style just sucks.

Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of their drab shooting style and direction. Like Whedon, they never quite made the jump from tv to film, and as a result their movies lack that special pizzaz (but I could say that of most of the MCU in general). The camera work, the costumes, the VFX.

Personally, I think CW would've been so much better if they had just focused on Cap & Iron Man, and cut the other Avengers, cut Zemo, cut the romance subplot (what little their was). The film was at its best when it focused on their clash of personalities and Bucky's involvement in the assassination of the Starks.

Can't say I'm all that excited about even more characters being crammed into A3&4 (a la X-Men), especially the characters from GOTG whom I don't like. All of the costumes are unimaginative, and bringing back Silvestri seems like a step in the wring direction (especially after Elfman improved on his original theme).

Still like any of the Cap films more than Blade, though.

Yeah, I'm not particularly fond of their drab shooting style and direction. Like Whedon, they never quite made the jump from tv to film, and as a result their movies lack that special pizzaz (but I could say that of most of the MCU in general). The camera work, the costumes, the VFX.

Personally, I think CW would've been so much better if they had just focused on Cap & Iron Man, and cut the other Avengers, cut Zemo, cut the romance subplot (what little their was). The film was at its best when it focused on their clash of personalities and Bucky's involvement in the assassination of the Starks.

Can't say I'm all that excited about even more characters being crammed into A3&4 (a la X-Men), especially the characters from GOTG whom I don't like. All of the costumes are unimaginative, and bringing back Silvestri seems like a step in the wring direction (especially after Elfman improved on his original theme).

Still like any of the Cap films more than Blade, though.

Though, we don't agree on Blade vs. Cap. You absolutely get me on everything said.

Though, we don't agree on Blade vs. Cap. You absolutely get me on everything said.

That's actually nice to hear. Most people are full of nothing but praise for those films. I don't think they're bad, just underwhelming and nowhere near the masterpieces they're frequently called.

Maybe my thoughts on Blade would be different if I'd grown up with them. But I was too young to see the first two when they came out, and by the time I got around to watching them I'd already seen much better vampire and superhero films.

But different strokes keeps life interesting. Maybe someday I'll give the first Blade another chance.

The first Blade will always be in my top 10.

I remember getting goosebumps in the theater watching the action scenes. Especially the blood rave.

That's actually nice to hear. Most people are full of nothing but praise for those films. I don't think they're bad, just underwhelming and nowhere near the masterpieces they're frequently called.

Maybe my thoughts on Blade would be different if I'd grown up with them. But I was too young to see the first two when they came out, and by the time I got around to watching them I'd already seen much better vampire and superhero films.

But different strokes keeps life interesting. Maybe someday I'll give the first Blade another chance.

haha! I don't think they're bad either, I just don't think they're good. Like, I can totally live without ever watching them again and I doubt I'd ever muster up the desire to.

hahahaha! Well, Blade is definitely a product of its time but its one of my favs of all time. Its just so bad Ass! And I really can't think of many Vampire movies, superhero movies or movies in general better than this one.
I can maybe name 15-20 in general but thats still not that much and stretching a little hahaha!

But ya, You can't force yourself to enjoy what you don't. Like you said, Different Strokes.

Last edited:
This should have just been labelled "Zack Snyder Hate Thread." Give it a rest people and move on please.

This should have just been labelled "Zack Snyder Hate Thread." Give it a rest people and move on please.

The title alone gives people a 'way in' on that one...factor in the amount of gloating Marvelism on here and that's what's gonna happen.

I personally would put Snyder's "trilogy" above the wolverine "trilogy" and possibly also around par with Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. (far lower lows in SM3 and XO:W imo) not by much mind you.

I've never seen superman 3 from the 80s. And i have a lot of trouble calling Batman Forever a sequel to Batman Returns. So I won't count those.

The only way to change the title is to get Zaddy to make Justice Bush League part 2.

Then it wouldn't be the worst trilogy, but something else.

The title alone gives people a 'way in' on that one...factor in the amount of gloating Marvelism on here and that's what's gonna happen.

Never change, guys. There're safe spaces for you and yours if this thread bothers you so much.

Never change, guys. There're safe spaces for you and yours if this thread bothers you so much.

Indeed. This thread is in the misc comic films section. Unlike the silos that exist in other sections of the forum, this one gets people from all sides. Don’t be surprised if you don’t like what you hear, if you’re so deeply entrenched.

Gloating Marvelism v Zaddy2Deep4U should be a thread.

Let's end this once and for all. :funny:

I remember getting goosebumps in the theater watching the action scenes. Especially the blood rave.

If only Zack Snyder had let Batfleck say the greatest line in movie history in BvS, it would have been my favourite movie of all time.

“Tell me... do you bleed?”

“The bat is dead... bury it.””

“Some Kryptonian mother ****ers are always trying to ice skate uphill.”

10/10

If Logan weren't so damn good, that trilogy would be the only real competition.

No, it's far away from being the worst, BUT it's not Snyder's trilogy as such, it's two of his films and one completed by 'other sources'.

Meh. His name is in the credits.

Maybe if we included the original Ninja Turtles movies it wouldn't be the worst... I'm joking Snyders trilogy is the worst trilogy of any franchise.

I personally would put Snyder's "trilogy" above the wolverine "trilogy" and possibly also around par with Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy. (far lower lows in SM3 and XO:W imo) not by much mind you.

I've never seen superman 3 from the 80s. And i have a lot of trouble calling Batman Forever a sequel to Batman Returns. So I won't count those.

Yeah, I definitely prefer Snyder's DC films to the Wolverine films; I was not as impressed by Mangold's contributions as most seem to be.

I might also prefer them to the original Superman films, too. Not the first one mind you, but at least 3 & 4. I haven't watched the Donner cut of 2 in awhile so I'll refrain from definitively stating which one I prefer.

But Raimi's Spidey films are some of my favorite in the genre (yes even 3, though less so). The DCEU has nothing on those films.

I sometimes watch that before I hit the gym. That scene blew me away.

MOS, BvS, and JL have been some of the most polarizing films in recent CBM history. Unlike most superhero trilogies, not a single one of these films have had universal acclaim. Would you say its the worst Superhero film trilogy?

I really wanted to challenge the premise of this thread. But trying to come up with something? ... I got nothing. So I guess it really is the worst superhero movie trilogy.

One thing is for certain, this whole era of DC films will go down as one of the biggest embarrassing blunders in cinema history. The only franchise I can think of that could have resulted in an even bigger blunder would have been the Lord of the Ring trilogy. Imagine Fellowship being received badly with two films left to go.

Yeah, BvS/JL was the fear everyone had for LOTR. If they don't like the first one, what happens with the sequels?

But honestly, I think we will see some more "shared universe" attempts crash and burn. Everyone has already forgotten that Universal's "Dark Universe" and Sony's "Ghostbusters" universes died in the crib. And with the Transformers movies losing their luster more and more in America, it is crazy to think that Paramount is about to try to hammer us with a Transformers movie every year, which has already begun and is continuing into the Bumblebee movie nobody asked for next year.

So, here's a question:

Can anyone actually think of a worse big budget, major studio movie trilogy in general?

I can't.

The Hobbit Trilogy. And I'm not entirely joking. With that said there are plenty of worst franchises that have had three consecutively bad movies. But any with the kind of "thematic" tissue of what Snyder built? That is hard to think of a comparison.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"