Comics Is Spider-Girl the true natural continuation of the Spider-Man saga?

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
I read Spider-Girl #100, and I absolutely loved it. It reads alot like classic Spidey. And the extra stories that were included were also awesome. I only have a handfull of Spider-Girl comics, so I hadn't read those stories before.

Do you know what Spider-Girl has that Spidey comics haven't had in a long time? A supporting cast. And a supporting cast with a heart too.

Do you know what else Spider-Girl has that Spider-Man doesn't? The story is a FAR more natural continuation of the Spider-Man saga than what's currently going on in the comics.

This is what we, as comic fans, and what Marvel should realise too (but won't). We have these characters that are almost 50 years old... they have nowhere else to go!! ESPECIALLY Peter Parker. I've ALWAYS felt that part of the Peter Parker tale was the tale of life. He's a young teenager, he ages, goes to college, falls in love, has a gang of friends, breaks up and gets with someone else, etc etc etc until eventually he's married and is an adult. THERE IS NOWHERE ELSE YOU CAN GO AFTER THAT!!!

That is why Spider-Girl is a natural continuation of the story. The writers know it in a way. That's why they revealed Peter's identity to the world. They have nowhere else to go.

You and I have had words in past, but let me say this...

WELCOME ABOARD THE SG TRAIN!

It really is just a GREAT book, and I highly advise you to get back and read them all. Naturally, there's a few clunkers, but the book as a whole is just SO rich and good.

They won't touch this story in 616 land though, because the Clone Saga is still taboo. Sigh.

kainedamo said:
I read Spider-Girl #100, and I absolutely loved it. It reads alot like classic Spidey. And the extra stories that were included were also awesome. I only have a handfull of Spider-Girl comics, so I hadn't read those stories before.

Do you know what Spider-Girl has that Spidey comics haven't had in a long time? A supporting cast. And a supporting cast with a heart too.

Do you know what else Spider-Girl has that Spider-Man doesn't? The story is a FAR more natural continuation of the Spider-Man saga than what's currently going on in the comics.

This is what we, as comic fans, and what Marvel should realise too (but won't). We have these characters that are almost 50 years old... they have nowhere else to go!! ESPECIALLY Peter Parker. I've ALWAYS felt that part of the Peter Parker tale was the tale of life. He's a young teenager, he ages, goes to college, falls in love, has a gang of friends, breaks up and gets with someone else, etc etc etc until eventually he's married and is an adult. THERE IS NOWHERE ELSE YOU CAN GO AFTER THAT!!!

That is why Spider-Girl is a natural continuation of the story. The writers know it in a way. That's why they revealed Peter's identity to the world. They have nowhere else to go.

This is, by FAR, the most intelligent post you've ever made on these boards.

I jumped aboard Spider-Girl around issue 90. I did it because so many of my fellow fans supported this book, and I'd heard nothign but good things about it. So I picked it up.

I called the comic shop when I got home and had it added to my pull list. It's THAT good.

It's exciting, it's energetic, and it's got that feeling that the classic Spidey tales used to have. There isn't any need to change her powers, change her origin, reveal her secret identity, rip out her eye, or whatever, they just rely on an incredibly strong supporting cast and a very interesting lead character to carry the story along towards it's natural progression.

Much like the Spidey tales of old.

Thanks guys!

And I muchly agree Shinyle.

JMS once said that it seemed the supporting cast was taking over Spider-Man's books. He had a point in a way. I think they were getting a bit carried away a short while before JMS came aboard.

Peter Parker is the centre of the book. But the supporting cast adds a heart and soul. I thought that when JMS introduced the aspect of Peter being a science teacher, we were going to get a whole new generation of stories and supporting cast members, I was very excited. I was wrong. The aspect of Peter being a teacher has only been the centre of a very small handfull of books. What was even the point??

So with Spider-Girl, what we have is a new generation of supporting cast members and a true progression of the story. I'm seriously coming around to the idea of disregarding current Spidey as true continuity, even though I do enjoy the odd issues.

The Spider-Man books have just purely become all about Spider-Man and his villains, with some input from MJ and Aunt May, and cameos from superheroes.

to be fair, normie osborn's entrance in the first book with his tatoo of

honor thy father, kill thy spider

is enough to always make me have an interest in this....

i only wished that spidey's last battle with norman osborne had remained a mystery as to how it all went down and how parker lost his leg. i think it would have aided the book more to have it as its one mystery, kinda like wolverine's past.

in the end i thought it was a lil anti climatic, i wished it was just like 4 comics worth of a slug fest....

NOW you know why we are SO DAMN MAD at 616 Spidey these days. Because SG shows you what it COULD be like. It's a damn shame really, but at least we have Mayday.

It's actually been kind of an eye opener for me. As talented as JMS is, his entire run has pretty much been villain villain villain, some MJ and Aunt May, and superhero cameos.

Anybody read the solicits fer SG in the latest Marvel Previews? Fans're gettin' major props from Marvel. We're THE most vocal fanbase!

I dont like spider-girl and i really dont find it a natural continuation. The only problem with spider-man is that writers essentially put him in the big leagues and he's holding his own. In that little other mini he's apart of(the beyond thing), he is like the older figure while graviton(whatever his name is) is what spidey used to be.

Long story short, SPIDERMAN SHOULDNT BE SAVING THE WORLD FROM UBER POWERFUL THREATS. HE SHOULD BE SAVING HIS CITY.

Spider-girl, should've been the natural continuation of the Spider-Man legacy, as Tom Defalco, had been writing ASM intended to do exactly that, however Marvel bigwigs ixnayed that idea, right around when a shadowy figure (Kaine) killed some scriers and retireved a mysterious package (May) back in ASM 435. Spidey was than 'booted and all references to the kid, were thusly forgotten.

And yeah, we are the most "vocal" and "supportive" group of fans out there, because this book is so ****ing good, and I ain't gonna stop, until I see it on everyones shipping list, here on the Spider-boards :up:

man, they should give FNSM to DeFalco. that, along with Vaughan on ASM and Kirkman on SSM, would save Spidey from this black hole of creativity they've sunk him in.

It's only a true continuation of the Spider-Man saga if you want it to be.

To me, it's an elseworld type of deal where the mythos of Spider-Man carried on after the Clone Saga, instead of sweeping it underneath the rug and ignoring it.

Spider-Man's daughter inherits his powers. Takes up the family business, and the rest is history...or...herstory. :spidey:

JackBauer said:
man, they should give FNSM to DeFalco. that, along with Vaughan on ASM and Kirkman on SSM, would save Spidey from this black hole of creativity they've sunk him in.

Yes. :up: :up: :up:

I think Ed Brubaker should be thrown into that mix... I hear he's really good on the titles he works on, and he's said he would like to work with Spider-Man.

tom123 said:
I think Ed Brubaker should be thrown into that mix... I hear he's really good on the titles he works on, and he's said he would like to work with Spider-Man.

Brubaker is sick

Captain America, Daredevil, Uncanny are all flipping nuts right now. And I've just gotten into Cap and DD a couple of months back. However we don't want him pulling a Bendis and taking over every single Marvel title :O How about the hype's favorite writer, Dan Slott picks up a Spider title?

True, we don't need another Bendis on our hands. Also, too many titles might also cause a decrease in quality, if it's too much. Dan Slott would be a good choice, maybe for FNSM.

There were so many "pull my Thing" 's the last few months that it's been redick. Any writer that can make the Thing have a cult following is a good writer in my book (pun intended).

if SG is still alive in 616 universe (which she blatantly is) then yeah there should be a spider-girl in 616 universe one day. but seeing as franklin isnt yet part of the "fantastic five" (Despite him being born in the 60s was it? ages ago, i know that) i wont hold my breath for spider-girl "proper"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"