It's the 66th Anniversary of the Roswell UFO Incident.

Mike_D202

Green Lantern's roommate
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2013/jul/08/roswell-incident-66th-anniversary-google-doodle

Google's latest doodle celebrates the 66th anniversary of the so-called Roswell incident - which generations of UFO enthusiasts and others believe involved an alien landing outside the New Mexico town.

Conspiracy theorists have claimed that US military had captured a crashed alien aircraft outside Roswell in July 1947, but authorities insisted that the incident merely involved the recovery of debris from a top secret surveillance balloon.

Much suspicion about the incident was originally ignited by a press release issued by a local US military base, which mentioned that the crash involved a flying disk.

Seeking to put conspiracies to rest in June 1997, the US Air Force released a 231-page report titled "Case Closed: Final Report on the Roswell Crash". It asserted that alien bodies witnesses reported seeing at the crash scene were actually life-sized anthropomorphic test dummies.

However, interest in the incident was stoked once again in 1995, when a London-based entrepreneur called Ray Santilli claimed that he possessed film footage showing an autopsy being peformed on one of the Roswell aliens. Santilli said in 2006 that the film was a reconstruction of what he insisted was real events.

The Google doodle errs on the side of humour, allowing users to control a small animated alien figure as it goes about a series of tasks on a Roswell-like landscape.

Roswell-ufo-newspaper.jpg

66 years later and there's no progress on aliens on earth

... and we still need answers about this, incredible.

Ironically, as a bit of a UFO buff, I think Roswell is a bunch of bull hockey, even though I entertain the idea that flying saucers may be of non-terrestrial origin.

Roswell wasn't an isolated event at all.

UFO's are definitely real, they just don't have to be little green/gray/lizard men but manmade objects or space debris that shows up in the atmosphere.

I'm sure there is alien life somewhere I'm just not sure it's any more aware of us than we are of it or that they're flying about in space ships anywhere near us for that matter.

Alien life is out there 100%.

They've just never been here.

Flying saucers are a rather unique subset of UFO's.

In the Summer of 1947 they were seen by tens of thousands of people, and reported on by thousands of newspapers around the world. Hundreds of military, civilian and commercial pilots were seeing them.

One of the reasons the rancher who found the "flying disc" reported it was because of an ongoing reward for any physical evidence of a flying saucer.

The Army Air Corps had been scrambling interceptors all week trying to, well, intercept them, after they had been sighted over multiple bases, and research facilities.

draft_lens18613046module153764600photo_1317337251The_Rhodes_Photo.jpg

This picture was taken the day before the Roswell story was published, and published in headlines only hours later.

2ni75sl.png

A headline from the day before Roswell.

Last edited:
It took me a while to figure out how to play that Google doodle.

To be fair if Linda Tripp had said she saw a flying saucer she would be called crazy and ignored.

Well, technically there was a cover up. Even the official story says that's the case. Just not a cover-up of a downed flying saucer. Cover up of a special military balloon. Plus, probably also a smaller cover-up to save some officers from being reassigned to Greenland, for talking about flying saucers after the army began its own internal investigation.

Our presidential cabinet's and the men who actually run the country are two different creatures :) and I didn't say globally.

The UK has been accused of its share of cover ups.

Some governments have been a bit more forthcoming, like Belgium, France, and pre-revolution Iran.

The US government has refused to declassify certain documents. For example, the findings of the first military investigation into flying saucers (Project SIGN) were never fully declassified. The group's "estimate of the situation" which argued that flying saucers are most likely of extraterrestrial origin has never been declassified. I'm doubtful it will ever be released.

I'd rather like to read that.

I think it would be entertaining because it most likely has some very embarassing notes in it to keep something so supposedly innocuous classified for this long.

That would be extremely anticlimactic.

But I guess we'll never know. The investigation was fairly ambitious. We do have some vague idea of what it entailed, since the director of Project Blue Book (one of the successor programs) expounds a few cases they studied in his autobiography.

So, if nothing else, it would have some interesting first-hand testimony, from pilots, military personnel, etc.

Supposedly the last (and arguably only) honest UFO investigation by the government.

Not sure if they investigated Roswell though, to bring it a little more back on topic.

Last edited:
I remember this made for tv movie when I was a teenager where the military official had to pose in pictures for the newspaper with tin foil because he claimed he had debris from the craft, so the government could show the public that he hoaxed it (when in actuality he didnt).

EDIT: found it the real images.

roswell-ufo-crash_107.jpg

The two biggest names in the Roswell "incident" are Walter Haut and Jesse Marcel.

Jesse Marcel is the man on the right, an intelligence officer. Marcel was the first military man at the crash site, and informed the base that they had found something. Supposedly he took some of the debris home with him (but that's been hard to confirm). He was present at the later press conference where they changed the story to weather balloon. In the 70's, a UFO investigator approached Marcel, and he told him the debris was "not of this world".

The two biggest names in the Roswell "incident" are Walter Haut and Jesse Marcel.

Jesse Marcel is the man on the right, an intelligence officer. Marcel was the first military man at the crash site, and informed the base that they had found something. Supposedly he took some of the debris home with him (but that's been hard to confirm). He was present at the later press conference where they changed the story to weather balloon. In the 70's, a UFO investigator approached Marcel, and he told him the debris was "not of this world".

:eek:
url])

I remember this made for tv movie when I was a teenager where the military official had to pose in pictures for the newspaper with tin foil because he claimed he had debris from the craft, so the government could show the public that he hoaxed it (when in actuality he didnt).

EDIT: found it the real images.

roswell-ufo-crash_107.jpg

Yeah, Marcel was the man who recovered the debris, apparently. The gov has said multiple things about it. The most recent, I believe, was a giant stem of weather balloons for a secret project called MOGUL, used to detect Russian satellites, IRC. Personally, I do believe that whatever crashed there wasn't of this world. Space and time is a fabric, and the universe is very, very old. I doubt ALL other intelligent species in the cosmos are isolated, as we are. as old as the universe is, as old as we are, we are babies.

in terms of earth's existence in the universe, it's so, SOO young. Hell, our star is still just a kid. In terms of human beings, if we scaled Earth's existence down to an hour, human beings would have appeared just a few seconds ago, yet we are over 2000 years old. Technology has been around for, what, 400+ years? I am not a history buff.

But the possibility of a race surviving, a race that is 50,000 years more advanced than us, 1,000,000 years more advanced than us. Given what we know about the fabric of space time so far, I would say sure, I think it's entirely possible that a highly advanced race could have casually mastered deep space travel.

We need to think past our own perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"