J.J. Abrams Developing Live-Action Version of Japanese Anime Movie “Your Name”

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
J.J. Abrams Developing Live-Action Version of Japanese Anime Movie “Your Name”

Star Wars: Episode IX isn’t the only movie J.J. Abrams is developing, as he has come on to produce a live-action version of the animated Japanese film YOUR NAME that will be written by Oscar-nominated Arrival scribe Eric Heisserer, it was announced Wednesday by Paramount and Bad Robot.

The two companies won the remake rights and will work alongside Japan-based Toho Co. (which produced the original 2016 film) to develop the project, and Toho will distribute the film in Japan. Abrams and Lindsey Weber will produce for Bad Robot along with original Your Name producer Genki Kawamura.

Written and directed by Makoto Shinkai, Your Name follows a teenage boy and girl from different backgrounds who discover they can swap bodies. They become desperate to cross space and time to find a way to meet and stop an impending disaster.

Well that was quick.

Have been meaning to check the original, so I'm not exactly sure how to feel about this.

Interesting. May have to watch that.

Zack Efron as the boy and Margot Robbie as the girl :D

Well, if there's a right person to adapt Japanese work into films, I would probably think of him — or the Wachowskis years ago.

I haven't seen this film (or any by its director), but I heard good things about it.

In case anyone is wondering about Isaac Lee Chung’s directorial style, a trailer for his new film was released:

From what I’ve read from people who have saw the film some months back (they all say it’s great), and the fact that he’s not only directing but rewriting the script, I have more hope in this turning out good.

I watched the anime film recently and enjoyed it. Certain elements are very culturally Japanese so they would have to change that.

I watched the anime film recently and enjoyed it. Certain elements are very culturally Japanese so they would have to change that.

The Japanese rights holders want an americanized version

'Bird Box' Screenwriter Eric Heisserer on Building a Mysterious Post-Apocalypse and Working With Netflix [Interview]

Is the Your Name adaptation a tough one to crack?

Oh sure, but I love that movie. I’ve found it an interesting challenge what the Japanese rights holders wanted in an adaptation.

What are they asking for?

You have to find the best iteration of that story based on the fact that they want an American live-action version of the film. They stated if they wanted a Japanese live-action version, they would just do it themselves. But they want to see it through the lens of a western viewpoint.

And the hubub over the Ghost in the Shell movie didn’t scare them off from Americanizing it?

Well, I think I was one of 20 or 30 people that pitched them a version of the adaptation. So they had a lot of choices. I can say that mine was not a Ghost in the Shell-like version.

I really liked the anime but no interest in seeing a live action version. It was fine the way it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"