Disney Developing Live-Action 'Snow White' (Exclusive)

LoganGambit87

Sidekick
Reaction score
Disney Developing Live-Action 'Snow White' (Exclusive)
snow-white.jpg

'The Girl on the Train' screenwriter Erin Cressida Wilson will pen the script for the project, which will feature new original songs.
Who's the fairest of them all?

Disney is ready to take on another of its classic fairytales with a new musical, live-action version of Snow White.

Erin Cressida Wilson, who penned the adaptation of The Girl on the Train, is in negotiations to write the script for the film, which will expand upon the story and music from the beloved animated classic.

The new film will include new songs, with songwriters Benj Pasek & Justin Paul, who most recently wrote the lyrics for La La Land, attached to pen the new music.

Marc Platt, who also is working with Disney on Mary Poppins Returns, is attached to produce.

Disney's original Snow White animated film Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs came out in 1937. Based on the Brothers Grimm fairytale, Snow White was the first Disney animated feature film and a massive success for the studio. It won an honorary Oscar at the 11th Academy Awards and is considered one of, if not the most, successful animated films of all time.

There have been several other adaptations of the classic tale over the years, of course. The two more recent attempts include the 2012 film Mirror Mirror starring Julia Roberts and Lily Collins, and Universal's darker take, Snow White and the Huntsman, starring Kristen Stewart. Snow White also is a character on the TV series Once Upon a Time.

Disney has been on a roll with its new takes on its animated classics, including such successes as Maleficent, The Jungle Book and Cinderella. The studio's next live-action fairytale release, which also features another empowered heroine, will be Beauty and the Beast, starring Emma Watson. It opens March 17, 2017. The studio is also developing a live-action version of Mulan for 2018, and has brought back Jon Favreau to helm a new take on The Lion King. A live-action Alladin also is in the works with Guy Ritchie attached to direct.

Along with penning the script for Girl on the Train based on the Paula Hawkins book, Wilson also wrote the script for Jason Reitman’s Men, Women & Children and produced the HBO series Vinyl. She’s repped by CAA, Art/Work Entertainment and Schreck Rose.

Pasek & Paul are an award-winning Broadway songwriting team with their off-Broadway hit Dear Evan Hansen about to open on Broadway. They recently wrote the lyrics for the film La La Land, and are currently in production on the Fox musical film Greatest Showman starring Hugh Jackman, for which they wrote all the songs. They are repped by CAA.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...rford&utm_term=hollywoodreporter_breakingnews

Disney stahp.

Didn't already have have like 2 live action Snow White movies??

hhVJjT.gif

At this rate there'll be Frozen live action in 2019 and Zootopia in 2020.

i like disney but they got to be the safest studio in the business

but it bleeds them money so what do i know lol

Eh, they have announced worse remakes.

Can't wait for the future generations of kids who will never have seen a classic Disney animated movie, just the live action remakes.

You knew this one had to be coming. Snow White is the gold standard by which every Disney film is compared, so it makes perfect sense.

At what point can we admit that Disney is just thirsty af?

I wonder how many of all these announced Disney remakes/re-imaginings are actually going to be made, though. I refuse to believe that, at some point in the future, I will find myself watching a Prince Charming trailer. :o

You knew this one had to be coming. Snow White is the gold standard by which every Disney film is compared, so it makes perfect sense.

Is it? I know it gets its props for being the first full length animated movie but "the gold standard by which every Disney film is compared"?...

I hope she's as over the top as she is in the animated movie and twerking in the chair is a must.
efa91-snowwhitetwerk.gif

I see Disney is going back to the Eisner days when the direct-to-DVD sequels were unashamedly released.

Except this time it's live-action remakes and they're at the very least decent.

Of course they are, wouldn't expect them to actually try anything new anymore.

Maybe 30 years ago. Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King set a new bar in the '90s. Snow White may be the first but that doesn't make it the best.

Maybe 30 years ago. Beauty and the Beast and The Lion King set a new bar in the '90s. Snow White may be the first but that doesn't make it the best.

It isn't my favorite either (that would be Bambi), but it is the one critics and audiences have largely compared everything since to. It set the template and adjusted for inflation it is Disney's highest grossing film to this day.

I wonder how many of all these announced Disney remakes/re-imaginings are actually going to be made, though. I refuse to believe that, at some point in the future, I will find myself watching a Prince Charming trailer. :o

Now those I would love to see as well, a different perspective into a classic Disney story. That's part what I loved about Pete's Dragon. It had similarities with the original, but by and large did it's own thing.

Ok what classic Disney film ISN'T being remade live action?

Fantasia. Good luck turning that into a live action movie.

They already did, somewhat.

movieposter.jpg

Is it exactly Fantasia? No, not really. But, I'd say it is as connected to it as the new Pete's Dragon remake. Granted, it focuses purely on Mickey's story, but still that's what people remember from it the most (that and Chernabog who I think is getting his own movie).

Okay...well how about a Song of the South remake? That's probably not too likely.

I'll complain about how Disney isn't doing anything new and original, but I'll go see it anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"