Jake Gyllenhaal to Explore LA Crime in Nightcrawler

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=103455
Source: Variety
April 25, 2013

Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo are set to star in the noir thriller Nightcrawler, Variety reports. Real Steel and The Bourne Legacy screenwriter will both write and make his directorial debut.

The plot follows Gyllenhaal as a freelance crime reporter exploring Los Angeles' criminal nightlife.

Gyllenhaal recently appeared in David Ayer's End of Watch. He can next be seen in Denis Villeneuve's next two films, An Enemy and Prisoners.

Russo, meanwhile, will soon reprise her role as Frigga in Alan Taylor's Thor: The Dark World.

Gilroy will produce alongside his brother, Tony Gilroy, Gyllenhaal, Jennifer Fox, David Lancaster and Michel Litvak.

I like Gyllenhaal but I need more details of exactly what type of movie it is going to be before I could say I'm interested.

Seems interesting.

562229-nightcrawler_cover_001.jpg

/\ I hope they go with this character design.

LA nightlife is really dark. Only saw a portion of it, but it will surprise suburbanites how open LA is about some things at night that other places aren't that open about.

Bill Paxton Joins Jake Gyllenhaal in ‘Nightcrawler’ (EXCLUSIVE)

Bill Paxton is joining Jake Gyllenhaal and Rene Russo in the thriller “Nightcrawler,” marking Dan Gilroy’s directorial debut with a start of production in October in Los Angeles.

Jennifer Fox and Tony Gilroy, who collaborated on “Michael Clayton” and “The Bourne Legacy,” will produce along with Gyllenhaal. Bold Films is financing with Michel Litvak and David Lancaster producing and Gary Michael Walters exec producing.

Dan Gilroy is helming from his own script about a driven young man, played by Gyllenhaal, who discovers the nocturnal world of freelance crime journalism in Los Angeles. He scripted “The Bourne Legacy.”

Sierra/Affinity is handling international sales at the Toronto Film Festival.

Paxton recently wrapped “Million Dollar Arm” and can be seen in “2 Guns.” He’s a producer on “Parkland,” which premiered at Venice and Toronto, and will be seen in the sci-fi thriller “Edge of Tomorrow” alongside Tom Cruise and Emily Blunt.

http://variety.com/2013/film/news/toronto-bill-paxton-joins-jake-gyllenhaal-in-nightcrawler-exclusive-1200602887/

When I first saw the thread title I thought Gyllenhaal was doing a Nightcrawler
X-Men spin off movie.

Gyllenhaal looks weird in those set pictures.

I am glad to see him having high-profile film projects again lately though. I've always liked him and it seemed he had a bit of a dry spell for a while.

Looking interesting. After seeing Prisoners (which was his best role to date) I'm keeping an eye out on Gyllenhaal with great interest.

...and had a shave! He had quite an almighty beard not that long ago.

There's a part of me who thinks that consciously, they're trying to make Jake's look somewhat iconic and memorable. Think of Ryan Gosling's look in Drive or maybe even Joaquin Phoenix's look in 'Inherent Vice'. Or it's an LA thing!

Hahaha! He looks zonked! Must be the nocturnal lifestyle of the character.

Jake's too thin lately. I noticed it in interviews for Prisoners. Hopefully it's just for this role.

He's really lost the pounds for this movie, wow :wow: (i'm assuming it's for the movie, obviously)

'Jake Gyllenhaal rushed to emergency room after punching a mirror in fit of rage on set.'

Jake Gyllenhaal was taken to hospital after punching a mirror during an angry scene on the set of his new movie in Los Angeles on Wednesday.
The 32-year-old actor, who is working on the thriller Nightcrawler, was badly cut and was treated in the emergency room. His hand required stitches.
Sources on set insist the outburst was during an intense scene 'in character' following an 18-hour day on set.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...ching-mirror-anger-18-hour-day-set-movie.html

Wow, crazy. I've always dug Jake, and honestly he's a very underrated actor. Fanboys either dislike him or find him tolerable for some reason but dude puts in work. Yes, I liked Prince of Persia.

I'm a big fan of Jake (even without having seen his hailed performance in Prisoners, can't wait for that!). Very underrated actor, and this role sounds like something he'd excel in. The physical change, seemingly fitting for his character, makes me even more intrigued.

Last edited:
Geez, he's like my body type now.

It seems like he's getting himself back on track again. He's always been great, just some missteps here and there. Hopefully with his brilliant turn in Prisoners and this he can make it two for two.

Ummm he looks genuinely frightening. Something wrong wit your face man. Fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"