Jake Gyllenhaal is a Nightcrawler

Did anyone else find it oddly comical at times? A few people in my theater laughed when

his assistant was "negotiating" with him

Jake should have been Spider-man over Tobey. He's an A-list guy most people don't generally think of as being such. He would have made an awesome Dr. Strange, but I can't complain with Benedict.

I did get pissed at the guy next to me. I was caught up in the movie until the guy whispered to his friend and predicted how

Jake got his assistant killed. I knew it was coming; I just didn't want to be able to guess how

Last edited:
Nightcrawler is one of the best movies I've seen in awhile.

A very disturbing film, mirroring today's society. I loved it!
Though seeing Jake in a such an intense, antisocial role was quite disturbing too :)
He nevertheless once again delivers a great performance.

9/10

Very good movie. Really nice addition to the dark, criminal LA we've seen in Collateral and Drive

Gyllenhaal's performance was great. I havent seen most of the other big acting roles so I dont know if he'll get snubbed when he gets passed over, but still very good performance.

Interesting storyline.

I guess my only complaint is the whole sex extortion storyline. Idk it just felt weird. Not weird as was intended (although it did work on that level) but I just feel you couldve cut that whole thing and the story and the story would just be fine. I know it was meant to show how crazy Lou was, but it didnt really work for me.

But yeah it was a great movie. Will be picking this up.

8/10

The sex extortion thing was to show how manipulative he is. He manipulates everyone and everything to get his own way.

Awesome film.

Saw this movie the other day, wow Jake was amazing in it. Out of the movies he's done recently over the past few years, this was by far his most memorable performance. Just about everything he did contributed to the character - his mannerisms, hair, style of speaking, etc. And by the end of the movie I absolutely despised his character. He played a creepy, obsessed, manipulative, & selfish *****e to perfection.

I think I'd go so far to call this his best role yet. If he's not nominated for something it'd be a travesty, he totally deserves an award for it. He became so intensely unlikeable by the end but I couldn't stop watching.

The sex extortion thing was to show how manipulative he is. He manipulates everyone and everything to get his own way.

Awesome film.

as I said I get why they did it but it was just superfluous to me because I already got how manipulative and crazy he was

Saw this movie the other day, wow Jake was amazing in it. Out of the movies he's done recently over the past few years, this was by far his most memorable performance. Just about everything he did contributed to the character - his mannerisms, hair, style of speaking, etc. And by the end of the movie I absolutely despised his character. He played a creepy, obsessed, manipulative, & selfish *****e to perfection.

I think I'd go so far to call this his best role yet. If he's not nominated for something it'd be a travesty, he totally deserves an award for it. He became so intensely unlikeable by the end but I couldn't stop watching.

Yea exactly. He really was despicable. And yet totally magnetic. Creates a weird feeling because you're not exactly rooting for him, for obvious reasons, yet he is the lead character and you can't take your eyes off him.

as I said I get why they did it but it was just superfluous to me because I already got how manipulative and crazy he was

Fair point. But manipulating someone into basically prostituting themselves is extremely despicable behaviour. It's showing him sinking lower and lower as the film progresses.

He starts off manipulating people with his charm to get a job. Then he starts manipulating people with emotional blackmail. Eventually he manipulates crime scenes and even creates crime scenes.

It's a great villainous character arc.

Yeah, he was really good in this. It's probably my favorite role of his.

I just loved this movie. I can't wait for it to come out on DVD, so I can watch it over and over again.

Riz Ahmed is a underrated actor.

Jake Gyllenhaal does creepy really well. Donnie Darko, Enemy, The Shoes 'Time to Dance' music video in which he murders hipsters.

Bloom is a total sociopath. The wide unblinking eyes and intense certainty of his behaviour was unnervingly creepy.

The movie does have the similar night time 80's L.A tone.

In a strange way this film also reminds me of Gus Van Sant's To Die For.

Last edited:
just watched the movie, severe disappointment, he doesn't look like the character at all and his backstory in the circus in Munich wasn't even mentioned :o

That car chase at the end was thrilling as hell.

There's someone here who said that Drive serves as a great hero origin story, while Nightcrawler serves as a great villain origin story. And being they share a very similar visual language, my inner geek would love a crossover movie between The Driver and Lou Bloom. Just to see Gosling and Gyllenhaal act together would be exciting.

There's someone here who said that Drive serves as a great hero origin story, while Nightcrawler serves as a great villain origin story. And being they share a very similar visual language, my inner geek would love a crossover movie between The Driver and Lou Bloom. Just to see Gosling and Gyllenhaal act together would be exciting.

Real inhuman being and a reeeeaaaaal villain! Reeeaaaal inhuman being!

Good Lord. I can't see Gosling's Driver character having that much patience for a man like Lou Bloom.

Lou Bloom would destroy him before he even knows it.

Saw this over the weekend. It was nothing like I thought it would be but I still really liked it. Gyllenhaal was phenomenal, creeped me out consistently, the end as well was terrific.

The only thing I really didn't like was the music, no idea how it was received but it really took me out of the film and I like James Newton Howard.

Last edited:
Saw this over the weekend. It was nothing like I thought it would be but I still really liked it. Gyllenhaal was phenomenal, creeped me out consistently, the end as well was terrific.

The only thing I really didn't like was the music, no idea how it was received but it really took me out of the film and I like James Newton Howard.

I agree. I think I posted something about it a page or two back. The music just didn't work for me in this movie.

Awww man why did you have to go and do that? Now I'm going to be dreaming of a crossover movie, lol. But yeah, I agree with that statement. Interesting though that the Driver and Lou are both sociopaths in their own way. I guess if we look at sociopathy as The Force, then the Driver is Luke and Lou is Anakin or maybe Palpatine.

I actually played this scenario in my mind after seeing this. I just imagined Lou with a police scanner going on the hunt for 'The Driver'

And they end up meeting in a small cafe place like in Heat. :oldrazz:

Showdown!

2xU87mX.png

I actually played this scenario in my mind after seeing this. I just imagined Lou with a police scanner going on the hunt for 'The Driver'

And they end up meeting in a small cafe place like in Heat. :oldrazz:

I could see Lou trying to get The Driver out in the open. First maybe meeting with him to propose a partnership. The Driver will carry out crimes and Lou will get the story. And by this point, Lou has his own news network and is a dominant network in the city who has a lot of power now. The Driver turns him down and then Lou proceeds to go after The Driver's own life.

Anyway, it's awesome to see Gyllenhaal being nominated for a SAG award. I didn't think he would get any recognition. We'll see if this carries any momentum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"