James Cameron's Sequel to "AVATAR"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you also seen Lucas making the original 1977, he acts the same way. Very introverted. He has always been like that.

Oh no! A director sits behind the camera! God! Director's are all different you know.

Sitting director = bad director
Standing director = good director

Excellent logic.

And creating the entity known as Star Wars isn't anything to sneeze at. Lucas really pioneered a lot of filmmaking and storytelling and technology because of SW, filmmakers like Cameron makes his films. Cameron even said when he saw SW in 1977 he quit his job as a truck driver and got to work. Really, think about how movies today are done. Lucas took even bigger risks recently and not everybody loves him for it but what he did was he took the first step before anybody else. But you can't argue the impact he's had overall. For good or worse. He created not just one, but two approaches. Even his considered "bad stuff" is a lesson for filmmakers. Lucas is a brave man. I applaud his fearlessness for taking his vision further, even if others disagree with them. Somebody has to be that person. And the fact it was someone who did something he was made famous for but fell because he disappointed people makes me respect him massively.

Last edited:
Have you also seen Lucas making the original 1977, he acts the same way. Very introverted. He has always been like that.

Oh no! A director sits behind the camera! God! Director's are all different you know.

Excellent logic.

And creating the entity known as Star Wars isn't anything to sneeze at. Lucas really pioneered a lot of filmmaking and storytelling and technology because of SW, filmmakers like Cameron makes his films. Cameron even said when he saw SW in 1977 he quit his job as a truck driver and got to work. Really, think about how movies today are done. Lucas took even bigger risks recently and not everybody loves him for it but what he did was he took the first step before anybody else. But you can't argue the impact he's had overall. For good or worse. He created not just one, but two approaches. Even his considered "bad stuff" is a lesson for filmmakers. Lucas is a brave man. I applaud his fearlessness for taking his vision further, even if others disagree with them. Somebody has to be that person. And the fact it was someone who did something he was made famous for but fell because he disappointed people makes me respect him massively.

This...every director is different...whether they stand or sit is not an indicator of talent

Excellent logic.

Falsehood. Cameron wanted to be a filmmaker ever since he saw Kubricks "2001" in cinema.

....I heard it was Metropolis. [/just throwing it in there for the madness] :o

James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment has teamed up with VFX house Weta Digital and entertainment content software developer Autodesk to develop new virtual production technology for Cameron's upcoming Avatar sequels.
"Creating the virtual production pipeline on Avatar was a groundbreaking process that only enabled us to scratch the surface of what is possible," Cameron said in a released statement. "Together with Autodesk and Weta Digital, we have used the knowledge gained from this first experience to clearly define the ideal process and then develop the technology needed to streamline our workflow. With the resulting pipeline, on the Avatar sequels, I will be able to devote more of my energy to the creative side of the moviemaking process, and dig deeper into all that is possible with virtual production."
Essentially, this new tech means an integrated workflow that incorporates digital assets in an interactive environment that allows Cameron and the collaborators to make quicker creative decisions in real time, live on-set. While versions of this technology have been utilized in the past, apparently this process has been further streamlined for more desirable results.
According to recent reports, Avatar 2, Avatar 3 and Avatar 4 will shoot simultaneously, beginning this fall.

After reading eek's post, I might be more interested in a making of feature on the next 3 Avatars than the actual movies. It sounds like the actors/Cameron might be run ragged doing 3 of these simultaneously.

Virtual advances aid 'Avatar' sequel
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118057960

Cameron pic pushed to next production level

"Avatar" and its dazzling effects have come and gone, but the three companies that developed the virtual production tools for that film are pushing them to the next level.

The trio -- James Cameron's Lightstorm Entertainment, Peter Jackson's Weta Digital and vfx software maker Autodesk -- have moved on to the "Avatar" sequels, which like "Avatar" itself, will see the director working with actors situated in a world he cannot see: Pandora.

In making "Avatar," Cameron needed a back-and-forth with the actors that was on the same intimate level he had with Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio in "Titanic," the films' producer Jon Landau says. "In looking toward the next 'Avatar' films, we wanted to be able to work with higher efficiency, see changes on the fly and have a lot less downtime."

It quickly became obvious that filmmakers wanted tools for a virtual camera, a new way to efficiently capture large files in real time and a tool that allows a director to load virtual sets, explore those sets and then makes changes or adjustments on the fly. They're now all present in Autodesk's MotionBuilder 2013 package, after Autodesk set up a system with Lightstorm and Weta that allowed them to experiment and update the software by incorporating quick feedback from the set and the computer screen, says Bruno Sargeant, senior product manager for virtual production at Autodesk.

As a result, filmmakers using the system can immediately view playback of actors within their digital environments and see everything exactly as it will appear on the screen.

Weta Digital chief technology officer Sebastian Sylwan says such collaboration between three companies is rare. "But we're seeing the lines between pre-production, production and post-production collapsing more and more," he says, "so tools like this are very important."

As the distinct stages of production have blurred together, it's also become more important for different departments to be able to work on a film simultaneously, making changes as the director needs them. It's also crucial for any production pipeline to be flexible so that it can accommodate the different work styles of each helmer, Sylwan says.

Initial versions of these advances have already been deployed by Steven Spielberg on "The Adventures of Tin Tin" and Peter Jackson's "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey." The goal is to make production in virtual space even more filmmaker-centric, according to Landau. In other words, to allow easier interaction between director and thesps, enabling the helmer to quickly make decisions about what is and what is not working in the film's virtual environment.

Jon Landau Clarifies Comments on Fourth Avatar
Source: Courier Post
September 3, 2012

Both James Cameron and Sigourney Weaver talked about the upcoming Avatar movies recently, but we think something was taken out of context regarding the possible four installment.

Back in May, Cameron was quoted as saying that he is "in the 'Avatar' business. Period. That's it. I'm making 'Avatar 2,' 'Avatar 3,' maybe 'Avatar 4.'

But then in June, Showbiz 411 said: "Then she films 'Avatar' 2, 3, and 4 with James Cameron. That's right: they're making three sequels to the blue 3D phenom all at the same time. Weaver says she has no idea how long it will take, or how it's going to work. 'I just show up,' she said.

It's likely that Weaver never even said anything about a fourth movie and that Showbiz 411 was just presuming the next three movies would be shot at the same time.

Either way, producer Jon Landau just told the Courier Post that they are only working on the next two films right now. �We [are] doing two back-to-back, but not a third."

Twentieth Century Fox was targeting a December 2014 release date for Avatar 2 and a December 2015 release for Avatar 3, but it remains to be seen if Cameron can make those dates.

3 movies? I have no idea how Cameron is going to fill ONE sequel. To be fair, if there is anyone who knows how to make a good sequel, it's Cameron.

1 Avatar movie was enough in my opinion. I wish him success but I wouldn't run them into the ground, one can only stomach so much Smurfaindianaliens before they get nauseated with the sight of them.:o

James Cameron Says Avatar 4 Would be a Prequel

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=94539

Earlier this week, producer Jon Landau clarified the rumor that a fourth Avatar movie is in the works, saying that they are only doing the second and third films back-to-back for now. But, as James Cameron said previously, he does have an idea for a fourth film.

MTV caught up with the filmmaker, who revealed that the fourth installment would be a prequel.

"I haven't really put pen to paper on it, but basically it goes back to the early expeditions of Pandora, and kind of what went wrong with the humans and the Na'vi and what that was like to be an explorer and living in that world," he said, adding, "Because when we drop in, even in the first film in 'Avatar 1,' as it will be known in the future, we're dropping into a process that's 35 years in to a whole colonization. That will complete an arc and if that leads into more, we'll start, not imitating 'Star Wars,' but it's a logical thing to do because we'll have completed the thematic arc by the end of three. The only thing left to do is go back to see what it was like on those first expeditions and create some new characters that then become legacy characters in later films. It's a plan."

Regarding the next two films, he is still working on the story. "I'm writing two scripts together as one big thing." Twentieth Century Fox was targeting a December 2014 release date for Avatar 2 and a December 2015 release for Avatar 3.

So he basically wants the concept to become it's own mythos. A Star Wars/Star Trek type thing.

^nothing wrong with a film maker crafting his own mythology in an original idea he conceived quite ambitious

When we start seeing a lot of spinoffs and novels based in the universe, that's when you'll know.

I love the idea of a prequel. A movie all about discovery and first contact on that remarkable world he created. How can that not be awesome?

He wants to spend the rest of his life doing Avatar films, so no surprise there. I just wonder how much he'll have left to say after three movies.

strike 2 . one strike left

strike 1: making 2 movies together when history has shown that a filmmaker should always focus only on one movie. 2 and 3 will not be connected? dont buy it. if they are not connected then the studio can not promote the thid movie by telling you that you need the second. thats the point of back-to back movies. the first movie was popular. so the studio knows that we will watch the second movie. but the catch is that when the second movie ends you find out that you need to watch the third movie to finish the big story. thats the whole point. so strike 2 was deciding to film 2 movies together.
strike 2: of course prequel. there is a reason why a lot of times the prequels dont work. no need to explain here. its lazy screenwritting. and if he has time to writte a prequel he has time to make Battle Angel.

after strike 3 i am done with Cameron. this is not the artist that i knew from the 80's and 90's. an artist who spend millions of dollars to make art. and i loved liked Avatar.

The Lord of the Rings trilogy was shot all together
So was Back to the Future 2 and 3
Kill Bill was filmed as one movie and split into two
Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions were filmed back to back
The Hobbit is being shot back to back
Superman and Superman 2
Pirates of thew Caribbean 2 and 3 were also shot back to back

Last edited:
The Lord of the Rings trilogy was shot all together
wasnt i talking about movies where the second and third sequel are filmed back to back? like matrix and pirates? or was i talking about movies like LOTR that were filmed together from day one ?

didnt Peter Jackson spend a lot time on writting LOTR movies so that it doesnt feel like they cut the last 2 movies in half? because thats how it felt with matrix 2 and 3.

Anyone noticing a lot of backlash to avatar now? I'm talking fanboy and the general public. I was never a huge fan when it came out but i remember people going just crazy over the film.

Nowadays you bring it up and everyone starts off on how it's over rated, corny, only about the visuals. Pretty much all the stuff the detractors were saying when it first came out. I'm really starting to think Avatar was a one shot phenomena and that doesn't bode greatly for the sequels.

I mean look even at sam worthington and zoe seldana their careers are really only marginally better off than before the movie even came out. Compare than to the leo and kate winslet effect of titanic.

the only reason its over rated is because it made so much money. if it would bomb everyone would be saying how they were right that Cameron didnt know what he was doing.

Anyone noticing a lot of backlash to avatar now? I'm talking fanboy and the general public. I was never a huge fan when it came out but i remember people going just crazy over the film.

Nowadays you bring it up and everyone starts off on how it's over rated, corny, only about the visuals. Pretty much all the stuff the detractors were saying when it first came out. I'm really starting to think Avatar was a one shot phenomena and that doesn't bode greatly for the sequels.

I mean look even at sam worthington and zoe seldana their careers are really only marginally better off than before the movie even came out. Compare than to the leo and kate winslet effect of titanic.

You can't compare worthington and saldana with leo and winslet because both went in different directions with their movie choices.
Leo had to convince people that there was more to his pretty boy face . Although people said that Leo has acting chops , his choice of movies weren't such that he really had to prepare himself. It's only "recently" that Leo has shown that he is capable of truly acting. Aside from the fact that he just really wants to win a Best Actor Oscar , Leo can act.
Winslet on the other hand took the indie route and slowly worked her up. Kate even said that after Titanic she was offerered alot of roles in romantic movies etc. but she declined because she wanted to prove to the world that she was capable of acting rather then just being a pretty face.

Worthington for god knows what reason was lucky in Hollywood. I seem to remember reading an interview when he was cast in Clash of the Titans and someone at WB said something along the lines of "all aussie men are these tough guys just like Russel Crowe in Gladiator".
Saldana on the other hand has made more action movies post Avatar or better yet more commercial movies rather then the indie flicks.

You can't compare worthington and saldana with leo and winslet because both went in different directions with their movie choices.
Leo had to convince people that there was more to his pretty boy face . Although people said that Leo has acting chops , his choice of movies weren't such that he really had to prepare himself. It's only "recently" that Leo has shown that he is capable of truly acting. Aside from the fact that he just really wants to win a Best Actor Oscar , Leo can act.
Winslet on the other hand took the indie route and slowly worked her up. Kate even said that after Titanic she was offerered alot of roles in romantic movies etc. but she declined because she wanted to prove to the world that she was capable of acting rather then just being a pretty face.

Worthington for god knows what reason was lucky in Hollywood. I seem to remember reading an interview when he was cast in Clash of the Titans and someone at WB said something along the lines of "all aussie men are these tough guys just like Russel Crowe in Gladiator".
Saldana on the other hand has made more action movies post Avatar or better yet more commercial movies rather then the indie flicks.
well they may be right worthington does have a rough manly look same as jackman,hemsworth,eric bana,guy pearce,mel gibson and crowe himself must be something in Australia :yay:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"