James Dean Resurrected for New Film

LMFAO. I finally caught up with this news and I cannot believe grown adults have been given the approval to sanction this. This is hands down the most mind blowningly idiotic thing I have ever heard about a movie production and I’m including Uwe Boll. And the quotes they’ve put out to justify it sound like an Ashton kutcher prank.

This movie is DOA, its not happening.

The family could just be cousins and they are okay with it mostly for the money and family name connection being relevant.

I mean by now, the family are probably just descendants from James Dean's aunts or uncles. They get a good free check and their famous family member gets them attention locally again

:whatever:

I love how people never mention Asian actors. They have it far worse.

Asian actors are also people of color. Maybe I just should have said “non-white actors”? I know that the term POC isn’t loved by everyone but I was just trying to convey that it’s still easier for a white guy (even a dead one) to get a lead role that anyone else.

Last edited:
Asian actors are also people of color. Maybe I just should have said “non-white actors”? I know that the term POC isn’t loved by everyone but I was just trying to convey that it’s still easier for a white guy (even a dead one) to get a lead role that anyone else.

POC is perfectly fine. Did you edit your original post? I didn't notice when I quoted you it said "POC".

Not that I have any interest in this film, but the reaction I've seen across social media has been hilarious. All the outrage over this.

No one benched when Superman Returns or Sky Captain did this. ROGUE FREAKING ONE. Sure there was nitpicking over the quality of CGI visuals, but how is this any different than what Rogue One did?

Someone actually give me a legitimate reason why this is bad and shouldn't be allowed?

Oh Vile :o

I don' know about Sky Captain, but in the case of Superman Returns, they included Brando with unused footage from Superman The Movie. They still had to get permission from the Brando estate, of course, but it seemed reasonable to use footage that Brando shot for Superman, especially since SR is considered a sequel to the Donner films that he starred in.

What this film is doing with James Dean goes way beyond that and is just plain weird.

Not that I have any interest in this film, but the reaction I've seen across social media has been hilarious. All the outrage over this.

No one *****ed when Superman Returns or Sky Captain did this. ROGUE FREAKING ONE. Sure there was nitpicking over the quality of CGI visuals, but how is this any different than what Rogue One did?

Someone actually give me a legitimate reason why this is bad and shouldn't be allowed?

Because in those instances they were using actual performances for those specific characters that those actors played before. Peter Cushing wasn’t starring in a new romantic comedy with a claim that this is his performance in an all new role.

What it comes down to is this is not the actor performing. This is someone else putting on a digital mask of the face of someone famous claiming to be a new performance. That is bad. It is a lie.

Not to mention the fact that Dean died long before the Vietnam War took place. War is controversial to say the least - especially that one. We have no idea how he would have felt about that war or whether he would want to be attached to any film that focuses on it.

Yikes...

"We searched high and low for the perfect character to portray the role of Rogan, which has some extreme complex character arcs, and after months of research, we decided on James Dean," said Ernst, who also produces with Golykh for Magic City Films alongside Donald A. Barton of Artistry Media Group.

:funny:

Not to mention the fact that Dean died long before the Vietnam War took place. War is controversial to say the least - especially that one. We have no idea how he would have felt about that war or whether he would want to be attached to any film that focuses on it.

Right. Beyond the whole "that's not really James Dean!" thing, you have to consider if the film and / or "Rogan" as a character would align with Dean's values, whatever those may have been. Not to mention that we are talking about a man from a different time. Also, people have to take into consideration that this sets a precedent for potentially unsavory use of dead actors' image in films down the line.

No one *****ed when Superman Returns or Sky Captain did this. ROGUE FREAKING ONE. Sure there was nitpicking over the quality of CGI visuals, but how is this any different than what Rogue One did?

This feels a bit obtuse, Vile.

Reading that article, “Dean will play a character called Rogan...”

No, Dean won’t “play” anything. An uncredited anonymous actor will play Rogan, with Dean’s CGI face superimposed over him.

James Dean is not going to play Rogan, and the Hollywood Reporter should have the honesty and journalistic integrity to state the obvious, even if the filmmakers don’t.

Because in those instances they were using actual performances for those specific characters that those actors played before. Peter Cushing wasn’t starring in a new romantic comedy with a claim that this is his performance in an all new role.

What it comes down to is this is not the actor performing. This is someone else putting on a digital mask of the face of someone famous claiming to be a new performance. That is bad. It is a lie.

I actually don't see that much of a difference of using Cushing's likeness and having the actor try to capture Cushing's acting style as opposed to James Dean, regardless of if Cushing previously played the Tarkin role. It's still using the likeness, and there were people who had an issue with even that. Others didn't of course.

There are those who don't like the principle of using any actor who's past away CG likeness in general,which is one of many parts of the backlash I suspect. There was controversy about an actor made to look like a 70 year old John Lennon sans CG in the film Yesterday.

That said, I agree that its not as if the Rogue One producers claimed that the film starred Cushing and the producers of Yesterday didn't claim that John Lennon played himself.

The question then becomes, are the producers advertising that this film will " Star James Dean!" or are they going to make it clear they're using the actors likeness and basically having a stand in act as if they think Dean would act?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"