Jessica Jones Jessica Jones FULL SEASON ONE Discussion Thread (BEWARE, SPOILERS GALORE!)

Mjölnir;32509873 said:
He could only affect the entire hospital after he had gotten his father to continue the experiments to increase the range (and duration) of his power. I take it to mean that the virus spreads out further from him to infect people, and all that's then needed is to hear his voice.

Yes. They clearly say that his range has increased in episode 12 to a radius of about 100 yards from his person and that would easily encompass an entire hospital.

Why not wear earplugs and attack Killgrave? Once they're infected with his "virus" don't they need to hear his voice afterwords?

I thought it was entertaining but inconsistent in a couple of ways. Ritter is well-suited for the role, but her performance is just okay. She never quite reaches the heights of her earlier episode performances later in the series, and really doesn't show much range. Colter is just kind of there, he's a decent Luke Cage. None of the leads were particularly good, though I did like Rachael Taylor in earlier episodes. Moss was solid. Tennant has moments of excellence as Kilgrave, but his performance isn't exactly balanced and was often a bit over the top. I was hoping they'd play the villain a little bit straighter than they did.

I found the show overall, especially the writing, to be somewhat average. Granted, they could "go there" more than most shows, but they did so rather selectively. The shows has some really great moments and introduced some interesting angles and themes to the superhero/villain dynamic, namely the abuse/power/control and subsequent trauma themes, but it also dragged more than it needed to. Noir music does not a noir make. As an adaption of the mythology, it was just kind of okay. It was interesting to see a more personal, intimate threat though.

Last edited:
from post #152
page: 7

Originally Posted by redhawk23
After all the build up of the risks of that last megadose, I think it was a real missed opportunity to not have Killgrave turn purple for the last episode.
Originally Posted by Nathan
Especially when he got killed off anyway.
Yeah that surprised me, he really only has two scenes after that. Whether it would have been done subtlety or just have the purple veins always present, it seems almost like they planned to do that but backed down.

lol Here's the weird sneaky catch you three to the show runner of the show they already showed him as purple with in the show via lighting as this video of show showcase below with tennant entering the room where h kill his father.
with in the show.

To the show runner's of jessica jones they already show cased him as purple. it just wasn't in the way you hoped

^^So as I said once to the show Runners they already show cased him being purple

10:12

Why We Love Jessica Jones: Season 1 in Review (Spoilers!)

by IGN

• 4 days ago
like I said I know it's not in the way you wanted it. but to them they showcased it. I guess that's all we'll get .

Why not wear earplugs and attack Killgrave? Once they're infected with his "virus" don't they need to hear his voice afterwords?

Ask myself the same thing. Then in the finale Trish actually does it (with headphones which of course were easily knocked off) while avoiding eye contact. Jessica suggested that maybe his power had increased to a level where eye contact was now enough for him to take control. Too bad we will never find out.

Overall I liked the series. Nowhere near DD good but still good enough. Really liked the Trish character. Sex scenes weren't really needed. Damn shame Kilgrave is no more. Always nice to see Rosario Dawson.

Marvel Netflix series is 2 for 2 IMHO. Bring on Luke Cage.

I thought the sex scenes were quite refreshing. They weren't there for the sake of it, it was really part of Jessica's character as a bare all, raw human being. It came from a base of humanity. It was done in a pretty positive way.

I thought the sex scenes were quite refreshing. They weren't there for the sake of it, it was really part of Jessica's character as a bare all, raw human being. It came from a base of humanity. It was done in a pretty positive way.

I am far from a prude but... Two scenes such as that would have been enough. It felt a bit forced the amount of times we got sexual content in the show.

I am far from a prude but... Two scenes such as that would have been enough. It felt a bit forced the amount of times we got sexual content in the show.
well this was one of the parts they took from the max series which was comic's based on more adult themes and at the time it show cased more things like sex beside violence. which was the point of the max series of book. that one of thing they fallowed through to the show from the books of alias .

it's kind like how japan as a larger category where anime is involve there some with more adult theme's there ,other with comedy and one's for horror and there one with super power ( similar to super heroes) and ones with magic and si- fi other they call slice of life. the only difference is they aim fort his to have scene / theme's of sex. And this is the story of Jessica jones came from the max series .

stuff you only see in current graphic novel's showed up in this series of books. Stuff you wouldn't see explored in a normal comic book. they did go their own with thing (also due to some stuff the sold to another movie studio and they can't have access to. but they took some parts of what was in the book's of alias which stared jessica and ran with it. I think that was one of few things overly similar between the show of Jessica Jones and the max serise Alias

well this was one of the parts they took from the max series which was comic's based on more adult themes and at the time it show cased more things like sex beside violence. which was the point of the max series of book. that one of thing they fallowed through to the show from the books of alias .

it's kind like how japan as a larger category where anime is involve there some with more adult theme's there ,other with comedy and one's for horror and there one with super power ( similar to super heroes) and ones with magic and si- fi other they call slice of life. the only difference is they aim fort his to have scene / theme's of sex. And this is the story of Jessica jones came from the max series .

stuff you only see in current graphic novel's showed up in this series of books. Stuff you wouldn't see explored in a normal comic book. they did go their own with thing (also due to some stuff the sold to another movie studio and they can't have access to. but they took some parts of what was in the book's of alias which stared jessica and ran with it. I think that was one of few things overly similar between the show of Jessica Jones and the max serise Alias

I am well aware of the books z. You do understand that on a forum you are likely to run into people that have been fans of comics for years and years and years, right? I read the first 8 or so issues of the MAX series before I got out of regular reading around 2008 or so. I know that sex was shown in the books... Guess what? That doesn't somehow automatically give it a pass in an adaptation. In the show, to myself and I suspect others, it felt a bit forced. I am not against it being there but there seemed to be A LOT of it. It's not a morality thing or a peevishness, it just seemed to be there TO BE THERE. The show would have been no less better if something like Trish receiving oral sex from Simpson was cut out.

tumblr_nyak6dTiAL1rvmqxto1_500.gif

BRILLIANT!!!!! Didn't catch that.

My Thoughts:

What I loved:

Ritter's performance, especially in the early episodes. She was tough and gritty and so broken and so driven. I think she became a bit less interesting as the series went on, but Jessica Jones is just a great character all around.

Several supporting cast members were brilliant. Luke Cage was so so solid. Trish Walker was great, and her whole backstory and their connection was inspired. Malcolm, Eka Darville's character was heartwarming and interesting and Jeri, Carrie Anne Moss's character was a huge grounding force.

And then Tennant really nailed this character. I never saw him as the Doctor not once, which is huge for coming off such an iconic character. I thought the way they made him purple was slick, with the suit, with the lighting, with the purple veins in the end. I loved loved the ending where it puts Jessica as a perpetually reluctant hero in light of Kilgrave's death. Which, as said before, was totally necessary. Once you find out the bad guy is a rapist, you can be sure that bad guy is going to die. Same if they're a racist killer or molest children or are a puppy kicker or anyone who abuses their power on the weaker or disenfranchised, a happy ending demands that they be decisively in the ground. It's hard to have any resolution when Purple Man is out there somewhere raping your sister. Overall, this villain was handled so very well. They did pretty much everything you could do with Killgrave and then they let him go. It was smart, smart storytelling.

To that end, setting up a continuing threat with Season 2 and the IGH was brilliant. It gave a clear indication that Jessica Jones is more than just Purple Man. Very smart.

There were a few twists that really made the show feel alive for me, the episodes where they were together were just awesome. Setting up Patsy Walker to be a hero was well done. I think sort of going with "Gifted" for people with random powers was smart.

What I didn't Love:

Well, this was one show that would have benefited more from more MCU connections, as it's a big part of the DNA of the comic. Knowing the comics Alias it made the stand-ins kind of just okay in comparison.

I think the series dragged a lot. The early episodes with the multiple sex-scenes per ep seemed like filler. "We don't have anything important to say so here's some Netflix and Chill fuel for you and bae." And they kept going back to her seeing Reva and running away. That's how you know they were pointless and repetitive and the same thing over and over. There are more interesting scenes, heck, more interesting sex scenes, better yet, condense a couple eps and then add another layer of deception and another case to the whole Purple Man arc. Or spend more time developing any of the characters you want, or exploring Jessica's relationship with the police or do a solid flashback episode, because the way the Flashbacks were interspersed didn't seem natural or to flow at all. This dragging and meandering and repetitiveness brought the series down for me.

The killing of the black detective was a bit of a trigger for me. I really need them to stop killing old black men who are about to go to the authorities as a way to up the stakes. Boo Marvel Netflix. Boo. #RememberUrich

I was also really heartbroken when Hope died. I think

Luke Cage's set up was great. I thought it was an odd choice to have him already empowered. It seemed like having Kilgrave have him do something that got him sent to prison to get his powers would have been more interesting, but hey, it wasn't a bad choice they went with. Just hope the flashbacks for Luke's series are more compelling.

Most of the action scenes seemed weak to me. They wanted to do superstrength practical, but that means a lot of wire and stunt work that mostly didn't happen. It was weird, and disappointing. She should have been throwing people left and right but she kept getting into scuffles, but everytime, when she got serious, she could end those fights. It was weird to me. I think that, more than anything is what made this series seem "less" than Daredevil, to go from fighting scenes that were so exquisite to fighting scenes that were frequent, but really not very interesting or dynamic from where I'm sitting.

Conclusion:

And really, the only real complaint about Jessica Jones is that it isn't Daredevil. It isn't full of comic book characters bouncing their colorful personalities off of each other and somehow saving the day despite living in a really f'ed up world. It isn't about a hero on a lone quest relentlessly jacking up enemies. It's about a troubled woman sort of sloshing her way through a sea of ****, stumbling without falling in, and it's deserving of an immense amount of appreciation. I'm glad I watched it, I think Netflix is moving in the right direction, and I think that Luke Cage will be a solid spiritual successor to Jessica Jones. I think Season 2 could totally rock as they tackle this IGH and so on. I'd love to see more MCU involved, but that's not what Netflix is about. Oh well.

Would Recommend

No, he can tell his victims to kill themselves if they don't hear from him, so even if he dies, his hostages still die.

Because if your completely unable to hear, your relatively helpless against whatever mind-controlled mooks Killgrave has at hand?

No, he can tell his victims to kill themselves if they don't hear from him, so even if he dies, his hostages still die.

Actually, it looks like his commands do end in the event of his death, given what happened in the finale. However, I don't think anybody actually *knew* that beforehand.

Actually, it looks like his commands do end in the event of his death, given what happened in the finale. However, I don't think anybody actually *knew* that beforehand.

Not sure if it was his death. Remember, he yelled at everyone to stop before he died.

I am well aware of the books z. You do understand that on a forum you are likely to run into people that have been fans of comics for years and years and years, right? I read the first 8 or so issues of the MAX series before I got out of regular reading around 2008 or so. I know that sex was shown in the books... Guess what? That doesn't somehow automatically give it a pass in an adaptation. In the show, to myself and I suspect others, it felt a bit forced. I am not against it being there but there seemed to be A LOT of it. It's not a morality thing or a peevishness, it just seemed to be there TO BE THERE. The show would have been no less better if something like Trish receiving oral sex from Simpson was cut out.
I hear you and I get that. What I was trying to say last night though but I think didn't make it clear is with this in the quote from me you answered. they want to reach to a broader audience, and say we are more then just super heroes.

They want the crowd that watched the shield, the soprano's or Rescue me where that stuff was shown and those people that watch show series like that where this is heavily shown and making a statement they can be of the same level too.

They just want that crowd and for those people when find out and make the statement this was in a comic? whoa well ***k awesome << kinda crowd .

If that was their reasoning then it adds into the perception that the sexual content felt forced.

If that was their reasoning then it adds into the perception that the sexual content felt forced.
I just know that with alot of many comic biography they been saying they wanted to branch out more audience wise and show case like movies the are capable doing more both theme & Genre wise just like they used to pre comic code days

Last edited:
I'm on episode 5...does it get any better ? Gotta be honest I really don't like it so far. I'm not sure if I want to keep on watching.

How would the person know, or the virus in their body know he'd died? Why would either care? If he leaves them, the effect still lasts for 24 hours. If he dies... what would be the difference?

I'm on episode 5...does it get any better ? Gotta be honest I really don't like it so far. I'm not sure if I want to keep on watching.

I got hooked on 6, honestly. I also quit for a bit around 3 but came back to it when I was bored.

I hear you and I get that. What I was trying to say last night though but I think didn't make it clear is with this in the quote from me you answered. they want to reach to a broader audience, and say we are more then just super heroes.

They want the crowd that watched the shield, the soprano's or Rescue me where that stuff was shown and those people that watch show series like that where this is heavily shown and making a statement they can be of the same level too.

They just want that crowd and for those people when find out and make the statement this was in a comic? whoa well ***k awesome << kinda crowd .

If they were just trying to copy shows with sex to get that audience, then no wonder the sex was forced and dumb. They didn't have any good reason to put it in unlike all those shows. It's really sad when writers copy things from other writers without really understanding why it was there in the first place. Having sex to prove you're adult rarely creates any real value.

Last edited:
If they were just trying to copy shows with sex to get that audience, then no wonder the sex was forced and dumb. They didn't have any good reason to put it in unlike all those shows. It's really sad when writers copy things from other writers without really understanding why it was there in the first place. Having sex to prove you're adult rarely creates any real value.

If so inclined, I suppose one could question the value of any sex scene in any adult-themed movie or TV show.

How would the person know, or the virus in their body know he'd died? Why would either care? If he leaves them, the effect still lasts for 24 hours. If he dies... what would be the difference?

Presumably the same way that screwing with his brain shuts down the commands: his powers have a psychic component. The virus is a carrier, but his brain needs to be operating properly in order to send/maintain commands. Otherwise, dosing him with an anaesthetic wouldn't cancel out commands either.

Is it my imagination or is JJ not getting the across the board visibility that DD got? Like, I don't find many on the Hype coming her to post about the series, and I don't find much reference to the show anywhere else? Is it possible that this was considered a flop?

Is it my imagination or is JJ not getting the across the board visibility that DD got? Like, I don't find many on the Hype coming her to post about the series, and I don't find much reference to the show anywhere else? Is it possible that this was considered a flop?

I don't think it was a flop but I agree it doesn't seem to have gotten as much attention. Most news sites I follow on Facebook have been posting about it though. I think part of it may have to do with the quite different style of it may not have had the same wide appeal of Daredevil. Less superhero, more detective story with superpowers.

I don't think it was a flop but I agree it doesn't seem to have gotten as much attention. Most news sites I follow on Facebook have been posting about it though. I think part of it may have to do with the quite different style of it may not have had the same wide appeal of Daredevil. Less superhero, more detective story with superpowers.

I was hoping that the quality of the drama and performances would make up for the lack of straight forward super hero stuff but... I may have been wrong. Shame. It's such a great show and cast. The creators knocked it out of the park.

I have been really enjoying my binge watch of Jessica Jones Season 1 with a few annoying moments where decisions or behaviour really didn't make sense. Just watched episode 11, and that has really annoyed me..... in the scene at Jessicas apartment when Simpson shows up, then Trish, and they are in the bathroom, Simpson (when he sees Trish is about to take a red) clearly tells them that she will need a blue to come down otherwise her brain will forget to tell her lungs to breathe. So when she starts choking, why is Jessica standing there going 'what's happening' that is just ridiculous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"