JLA vs. The X-men

I absolutely agree with that. Unpopular characters get downplayed by leaps and bounds in a lot of cases. Look at Gladiator. Dude was supposed to be Marvel's parallel to pre-Crisis Superman, yet he's lost to virtually everyone.
but he wasn't losing when he was introduced and if the story requires it, he won't lose again to bulk up his status.

But he's not a popular character, so no one's bulking Gladiator's status up because no one actually wants to use him for anything. For example, Oeming was a fan of Thor and Beta Ray Bill, and his stories for them showed them in a markedly more positive and powerful light than how they'd been portrayed for years. Gladiator doesn't have an Oeming. He's been downplayed for so long that he'll probably stay downplayed and be known as a ***** among the top-tier powerhouses indefinitely. There are plenty of other unpopular characters just like him, who wallow in mediocrity because no one gives a ****. They're the ones your Bendises and Millars trot out to kill in their events.

well in your point, i've highlighted mine.

a writer that likes a character is going to show them in a better light and who are the easiest two marvel people they could put them up against?

hulk or wolverine depending on what kinda power level they are at.

and because of this wolverine and hulk have had some embarassing defeats that aren't potentially accurate based on their back histories but that's comic book writing.

if a gladiator fan came in to write some stories now, it would only be a matter of time before he went up against the hulk (or maybe sentry now) and had a decent victory against him simply because it's the quickest way to show he's back on the map

I don't think that's true, but to each his own. It seems to me that Wolverine and the Hulk are generally played up to make themselves look good far more than they're played down to make others look better.

Wait a minute! If the Phoenix does come out between the JLA and X - Men battle wouldn't that mean both sides are basically ****ed because she would most likely be attacking both sides so in the end JLA and X - Men would have to team up to take her down.

proof

jlaxff.jpg

JK

i'm not sure you get my point.

this is it

if say, you want to introduce a new powerhouse like the sentry and confirm their status as being hardcore, you put them up against the hulk and have them win.

if you want to breath life into an old existing character like say daredevil, you put him up against wolverine and have him win.

this is as these losses does not affect the fan base of wolverine or the hulk but helps give merits to new or flagging characters and helps increase their fanbase.

it's a win/win situation unless of course the deus ex machina method used in defeat.

now do you get what i'm trying to say.

When was the last time a new character went up against cyclops or the thing to prove their worth? :confused:

Off the top of my head: Black Panther whooped the whole FF out of the gate, and I'm not even going to bother to look up Namor's introduction. This is aside from the time that Spider-Man webbed up Thing, immobilizing the class 75 strengther for hours just so the writer could show off how uber the kid's webbing is.

Who other than Sentry has been introed by beating up the Hulk?

Now, I see your point, but I believe you are so focused on Hulk and Wolverine's losses that you cannot see that their losses are dwarfed by everyone else's around them, both in number and quality.

When was the last time a new character beat Wolverine to 'prove their worth?' With the possible exception of Xorn, who, techincally, was not a new character, I can't think of anyone who has even 'showed up' Wolverine without being an veteran fighter with a strategic advantage.

As for the Hulk, yes, people like to put new powerhouses against him, but look how many people he's rolled over in WWH in order to make Hulk look like the man.

Again, yes, people use Wolverine and Hulk as punching bags, but not only are other characters used more, and more carelessly so, but Wolverine and Hulk use other characters as punching bags far more often than they are used. Far more.

Hmmm... what's a good analogy...?
It's like you're saying "Oh, my car can only go 90 mph..." when clearly, everyone else is going 60, and you're leaving us behind.

Yes, we understand that what you're saying is correct, but that's still the best there is, so it makes complaining sound really odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"