• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John August HATES the Captain Marvel Comic Books!

Justice Bringer

Sidekick
Reaction score
from filmwad.com

http://www.filmwad.com/captain-marve...al-2143-p.html

\--------------------
Captain Marvel Scribe Hates the Source Material
RottenTomatoes reports that John August, writer of the upcoming Captain Marvel movie, has balls.

"Every time I read one of [the classic Captain Marvel comics], I’m struck with the same realization I encounter trying to watch The Honeymooners or a black-and-white movie: Wow. Old things suck."

Disagree with the statement if you must (how does a screenwriter complain that black and white movies suck?), but you've gotta agree that August has some balls insulting the source material for a project he's involved in.

Especially considering his body of work (Go, Charlie's Angels 1 and 2, Corpse Bride) isn't exactly full of classics.

"Yes," August said. "I know that will piss off the vintage comics fans, who insist that the original incarnations are the purest forms of a character. But what you quickly realize is that old-time comic books were awkwardly written, crudely drawn, and bewilderingly inconsistent with their rules. They were making up the art form as they went along, and today’s comic books are better for the accumulated wisdom."

Stay tuned for reports of August's death at the hands of an enraged fanboy.

So, he wants to adapt the updated modern versions instead of the early stuff... so?

Last time I checked no one complained when Nolan didn't give Batman a handgun, and went off the Miller and Loeb/Sale stuff.

Also, i didn't hear anyone complain when Superman flew in the movies, considering he could only jump really far in early appearances.

Jeez, you people will find anything to gripe about these days. Just shut up and be optimistic for once.

Pretty much what I was gonna say, Katsuro.

So, he wants to adapt the updated modern versions instead of the early stuff... so?

Last time I checked no one complained when Nolan didn't give Batman a handgun, and went off the Miller and Loeb/Sale stuff.
But then again, Nolan didn't say how "old stuff sucks", he said he loved Golden Age comics. There's a difference between simply preferring new material and being a disrespectful dickwad. Especially since the material you're adapting for the big screen wouldn't exist if it weren't for the "old stuff that sucks".

Imagine if Richard Donner had filmed Superman as if he absulutely hated the original Siegel and Schuster era, or if Sam Raimi had shown utter contempt for the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko and John Romita Sr. eras in his adaption of Spider-Man.

This is going to end up worse than the Pitof Catwoman.

^Yes it is and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

I'd tend to agree with August. The early Captain Marvel stuff DOES suck compared to more recent fare. The concept and tone Captain Marvel has always had is great. The execution early on? Not so much.

Imagine if Richard Donner had filmed Superman as if he absulutely hated the original Siegel and Schuster era, or if Sam Raimi had shown utter contempt for the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko and John Romita Sr. eras in his adaption of Spider-Man.

:whatever:

I absolutely hate the Stan Lee Spider-Man original comics. They are horribly, horribly, horribly written. That does not mean I can not create an interesting Spider-Man story, nor a good one. It does, however, mean I am not very likely to reference any of Lee's dribble in my work.

I am sure that is how August feels.

filmwad.com said:
Stay tuned for reports of August's death at the hands of an enraged fanboy.

Best ending to a news article EVER!

Props to August for actually saying what so many of us have thought at one time or another, but have failed to say for fear of being burned at the stake. Those old comics did kinda suck. They're fun to read now for camp value and some of the stories weren't terrible, but I for one would never want to see Action Comics #1 on the big screen.

superman_ac1.jpg

Theres just as much stupid **** in the modern comics. It's all about picking the best elements from all incarnations.

Look, he explicity stated what he felt was wrong with the old stuff, and are you saying to disagree with any of it? Do you disagree that the old comics are awkwardly written, crudely drawn, and inconsistent with their rules? I sure as hell dont disagree.

And he says that he does like the modern stuff. It's not like he has utter contempt for the entire character and story, just the early versions of him.

Yeah, because stuff like this...
daily23.jpg

...happens all the time in modern comics.

Just think back to DC comics in the 90s. They did some really crappy stuff .

There are some great aspects in the classic comics. Look how the classic Batman inspired the film noir styles of TAS. Look at the beauty of the Fliesher cartoons; which Timm himself wanted to base Superman TAS around originally as a period piece.

Theres always good aspects with the bad, regardless of the time.

i dont have a problem with him saying the old captain marvel stuff sucks....thats his opinion and he makes some valid points with how comics were executed back in the day. but his quote that black and white movies and "old stuff" sucks is incredibly ignorant and kinda makes me want to kick him in the shins.

I completely agree with everything John August said.

i dont have a problem with him saying the old captain marvel stuff sucks....thats his opinion and he makes some valid points with how comics were executed back in the day. but his quote that black and white movies and "old stuff" sucks is incredibly ignorant and kinda makes me want to kick him in the shins.

QFT

The thing that surprises me the most about this is what Michael Uslan (the film's producer) said in a recent issue of Wizard:

With "Shazam" (whose statue sits squarely on Uslan's desk), once again, the project proves personal. When he was 13 years old, Uslan befriended and often would visit the home of Otto Binder, the ill-fated writer responsible for the majority of the Marvel family adventures. Uslan becomes emotional remembering the tragic tale of Bindr's decent into madness after the death of his daughter. "You want to talk about responsibility. This was Otto's life. This made his career."

Sounds like he's kinda partial to the original source material unless I'm reading into his comments.

What an idiot. Hopefully William Goldman will beat him with his cane. Then tie him to a chair and Make him watch the Charlie's Angels movies over and over again.

The "black-and-white movies" comment is silly, but I agree with him about old comics.

Golden and Silver Age comics are fun for camp, nostalgia, and some of the ideas, but there's not one of them that I'd ever be able to take seriously, and in terms of plot, characterization, dialogue, etc., they aren't particularly good.

Why people don't go the original source of the facts and interviews?
http://johnaugust.com/archives/2007/captain-marvel-reader
A Captain Marvel Reader

Ever since I announced that I’m writing Shazam!/Captain Marvel, I’ve gotten some great questions and comments from longtime fans of the character, many with detailed pleas to include a specific cherished piece of the mythology.
But when I tell people face-to-face that I’m writing a Captain Marvel movie, I often notice a specific micro-reaction. Their eyes go up and to the left as they try to remember, who the hell is Captain Marvel? Half the time, they come up with Captain America instead.
So, in the interest of spreading general knowledge about Captain Marvel and why he kicks ass, I thought I’d share a reading list. Don’t worry; there’s no test. In fact, consider this a gentle education (or re-education) on why some of the best writing today is inked and colored.
Getting over comic anxiety

One reason adults can be scared off from comics is that the universes in which superheroes live tend to be incredibly complicated and interconnected. It’s the same reason I haven’t started watching Battlestar Galactica — I feel like I need to catch the first few seasons on DVD.
But it’s even more bewildering than that. You can think of any comic book series (Batman, Superman, JSA) as being roughly equivalent to a television series, with each issue serving much like an episode.1 By this analogy, DC and Marvel Comics are like television networks — the difference being that all their shows cross-over constantly. Imagine if in order to follow Lost, you also had to keep up to speed with Grey’s Anatomy, Ugly Betty and According to Jim.
You’d want a guidebook. A cheat sheet.
For the DC Universe in which Captain Marvel lives, the most helpful resource I’ve found is the DC Comics Encyclopedia.2 It includes artwork and bios on pretty much every significant player (hero and villain) in the DC universe.3 Naturally, one consequence of the book’s breadth is its lack of depth. A few paragraphs can’t explain why a given character is important or relevant, and tends to overemphasize vintage characters who will never play a significant role in future storylines. (Old West gunslingers, I’m looking at you.)
Still, it’s invaluable. I’ve been paging through this book for the last two years,4 constantly discovering new connections and relationships. The term “mythology” is overused in popular culture, but it really applies to superheroes. They’re our Greek gods and demigods, and their stories are just as tangled, fascinating and unlikely.5
Getting up to speed on Captain Marvel

Captain Marvel was originally published by Fawcett Comics, and for a time outsold Superman — in fact, it was a copyright infringement lawsuit that led to Fawcett ceasing publication.6 DC Comics bought out the rights to the character in 1991, but for legal reasons can’t promote the comic book using the Captain Marvel name. From the Wikipedia entry:
Because Marvel Comics trademarked their Captain Marvel comic book during the interim between the original Captain Marvel’s Fawcett years and DC years, DC Comics is unable to promote and market their Captain Marvel/Marvel Family properties under that name. Since 1972, DC has instead used the trademark Shazam! as the title of their comic books and thus the name under which they market and promote the character. Consequently, Captain Marvel himself is sometimes erroneously referred to as “Shazam.”​
A fairly classic genesis story for Captain Marvel can be found in Jerry Ordway’s The Power of Shazam! It’s semi-period and kind of Mummy-like (a lot of Egyptian tomb business), but manages to evoke a vintage feel without the vintage dullness.
While he rarely has his own series, you find Captain Marvel sprinkled throughout the DC world. He’s particularly helpful when you need someone to go head-to-head with Superman. Captain Marvel isn’t vulnerable to kryptonite, and holds up better than the Man of Steel against magic.
A good place to start is Judd Winick’s First Thunder, which posits the first real encounter between these titans, and nicely contrasts not only the two heroes but their corresponding villains, Lex Luthor and Dr. Sivana. The book smartly moves beyond the smash-and-bash action to raise interesting questions: Is it fair to put this much responsibility on a young kid? Which identity is your “secret identity?” And what would Superman have done without the Kents to watch over him?
Day of Vengeance (also by Judd Winick) features a very different Marvel/Superman matchup, as the Man of Steel finds himself possessed by the demon Eclipso. It’s a good battle, and it makes use of one of the Marvel family’s less-defined abilities: the magic thunderbolts which come when you call, “Shazam!” These thunderbolts can seemingly do anything. I keep waiting for some unhinged environmentalist to figure out he can use them to power the world’s electric grid — but at a deadly price!
If you want bleak, look no further than Mark Wald’s Kingdom Come, in which the grown up Billy Batson is basically Lex Luthor’s pawn, a superpowered goon to protect the evil mastermind from Superman. Between this and Watchmen, one is left with the impression that superheroes don’t get better with age.
JSA and Black Adam

Captain Marvel can be found in many Justice Society of America books, but an even larger presence is Black Adam, who is sometimes an ally and often an adversary. Black Adam was the original champion chosen by the wizard Shazam, and is ostensibly as powerful as The Big Red Cheese. But he’s brutal and charismatic, which is why fans love him no matter which side he’s on.
Geoff Johns, who was gracious enough to listen to my pitch before we went in to New Line, has two books featuring Black Adam to check out: Black Reign and Black Vengeance. The storylines continue into this past year’s 52.
For a one-off making good use of the Rock of Eternity (home base of Captain Marvel), check out Virtue and Vice. Featuring both the JSA and the Justice League, it’s a sampler platter of powers and what-if scenarios, but well worth a look.
Among current series, Judd Winick’s Trials of Shazam! finds Billy Batson taking over for the wizard, and overseeing the training of his replacement. Meanwhile, Jeff Smith’s Shazam!: The Monster Society of Evil is goofy and whimsical, a great alternative to the weary darkness of many comics today.
Why I’m not including the vintage collections

DC publishes hardcover anthologies that gather up decades’ worth of Captain Marvel comics. If I were writing a dissertation on the evolution of the Captain Marvel character, these would be invaluable. But I’m not. So every time I read one of these, I’m struck with the same realization I encounter trying to watch The Honeymooners or a black-and-white movie: Wow. Old things suck.
Yes, I know that will piss off the vintage comics fans, who insist that the original incarnations are the purest forms of a character. But what you quickly realize is that old-time comic books were awkwardly written, crudely drawn, and bewilderingly inconsistent with their rules. They were making up the art form as they went along, and today’s comic books are better for the accumulated wisdom.
Vintage fans are free to disagree. There’s a vast but finite amount of comic books to last them through their days.7
Beyond that, are there great books I’m leaving off, either intentionally or accidentally? Almost certainly. The comments are your chance to add to the reading list.

Man! I hope that John's storyline result in a great movie.
Hopefully his take on Big Red will be so successful that it becomes the de facto version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"