World The Business of Marvel Comic Books

Donald Thomas

The Black ArachKnight
Reaction score
Aloha,
While I am an avid Spidey comic book collector-I wanted to share with the fans some of what the business of comic books is all about.One of my big fears is that internet comic book fans will become the JOKE of comic book business. I say this because often, the business of comic books is doing very well in spite of some comic book fans saying that things are crap or the writing is crap.
Here's the latest from Wall Street

Marvel Shows Its Might
The publishing and entertainment outfit's recent moves have boosted its revenues and share price. Can it sustain the superpowered surge?
by Ronald Grover
Want to see pent-up demand? There was plenty to spare at the San Diego Convention Center in July, when Marvel Entertainment (MVL) titillated the faithful at the annual Comic-Con convention. With nearly 1,000 die-hard comic-book fans in attendance, the company that makes Spider-Man swing and X-Men mutate unveiled plans for its next Incredible Hulk as well as new flicks based on its Ant Man and Iron Man franchises. Since then, Marvel shares have been supercharged, jumping 41%, to $26.52, on Nov. 9.
How much higher Marvel can leap is another story. The company beat Wall Street estimates on Nov. 6, announcing a 13.5% hike in revenue, to $92.2 million, although earnings declined by 43.5%, to $13.2 million. More important, the home to the Fantastic Four hiked both its guidance for 2007 and the rest of this year, sending analysts scurrying to boost the earnings targets. Raymond James analyst Joseph Hovorka, who rates Marvel outperform, hiked his 12-month target to $31.50, from $28, saying the number "is justified by the high free cash flow generation of the company."
Not everyone completely agrees, however. Although he boosted his own target price to $25 from $19 a share, Bank of America analyst Michael Savner maintained his neutral rating for the stock. Savner voices concern that the company's boost earlier in the year was likely fueled by stock buybacks, and he still worries that the company's "lack of transparency" about future prospects might make earnings the rest of the year "more risky." He also says management changes—the company's top international and consumer-products executives, and its primary film executive left this summer—have "made us increasingly skeptical."
Action Figures
Still, no one can fault Marvel for the steps it has taken to potentially boost its earnings. Late last year, it closed on a $525 million credit facility that it says will give it greater control over—and hopefully more revenue from—the production and timing of its films. That enables Marvel to make films on its own—such as Iron Man, which Paramount (a unit of Viacom (VIA)) will distribute in 2008—as well as to continue to license some of its films to studios like Sony (SNE), which will release Spider-Man 3 next summer. The downside is that Marvel must shell out money for the films that it intends to produce, which Marvel Executive Vice-President David Maisel said would cost between $100 million and $160 million apiece.
Marvel has taken other steps to boost its earnings. Late last year, it terminated its existing toy-licensing agreement with Toy Biz Worldwide and signed instead with Hasbro (HAS), which has already paid Marvel a $105 million advance for a deal that begins in January. The company hasn't yet booked much of the $75 million guarantee for Spider-Man 3, Marvel Chief Financial Officer Ken West told analysts. That advance is roughly double the guarantee for Spider-Man 2 and four times what the company got in 2001 for the original Spider-Man, West adds.
The expected revenue boost from next year's release of Spider-Man 3 by Sony and Fantastic Four 2 by Fox prompted the company to hike its 2007 net sales number to a range of $375 million to $435 million, according to West. The company is expected to have 2006 sales of $338 million in 2006, according to BoA analyst Savner's report. Savner also expects Marvel's operating margins to jump to 48.4% in 2007, from 30% this year and 43.8% in 2005, when its numbers were boosted by the release of the first Fantastic Four film and sales of Spider-Man 2 DVDs.
Those are superhero-like numbers—and a big reason why Wall Street has sent Marvel's stock skyward. Can the company that lives and dies by guys in masks continue to knock 'em dead? The market is there. Just ask the comic-book fanatics who gathered this summer in San Diego to cheer on Iron Man this summer. And that film's at least two years away from hitting the big screen.
Grover is Los Angeles bureau chief for BusinessWeek.
Spidey rules in the Street as well as roof tops

That was great,Donald.It's very good to know that things are going so well with Spidey and the others:spidey:

Spidey-Jason said:
That was great,Donald.It's very good to know that things are going so well with Spidey and the others:spidey:

Aloha,
Thanks. My reason for putting this up is to expose comic book readers to the business that is behind these books. We all have our opinions on any given issue or title.Spider-Man readers are known for being some of the most critical readers out there(I think that's great). But what I absolutely hate, is the attitude that their opinion reflects the business reality.Anyone who works for a living knows that you have annual reveiws of your work. If you are doing lousy work you are canned.If some of the issues,writers and artist were as bad as some try to make them out to be- they would be cancelled and fired.Don't mean to go off on a rant-just VERY tired of the arrogance and negativity of some on these boards.
Happy Holidays
Spidey rules

Donald Thomas said:
But what I absolutely hate, is the attitude that their opinion reflects the business reality.Anyone who works for a living knows that you have annual reveiws of your work. If you are doing lousy work you are canned.If some of the issues,writers and artist were as bad as some try to make them out to be- they would be cancelled and fired.

But in here lies the faulty reasoning that if it's selling well, that's a strong defense of the writer's capabilities. Brittany Spears will sell 100's of thousands more CD's than will Dream Theater....and although taste is very subjective, I hardly think anybody could defend the notion that Brittany has one ounce the musical talent of any member of Dream Theater.

In a perfect world the greatest writers would sell the most books and the lessor talented writers will wallow in obscurity....but we live in the real world......

...shocking fans with "universe altering changes" to the Spidey mythos, mischaracterization and poor continuity is bad writing!!.....how much it sells is irrelevant to the quality of the book......

If someone comes to this board and says "Marvel is financially going down the tubes" they're wrong, and it can be proven using empirical data....if someone comes to this board and rips on the current status of Spider-man the character and uses well thought out examples, then their opinion is valid no matter how negative it may be and no matter how well it's selling......just my opinion

WhatIfTales said:
But in here lies the faulty reasoning that if it's selling well, that's a strong defense of the writer's capabilities. Brittany Spears will sell 100's of thousands more CD's than will Dream Theater....and although taste is very subjective, I hardly think anybody could defend the notion that Brittany has one ounce the musical talent of any member of Dream Theater.

In a perfect world the greatest writers would sell the most books and the lessor talented writers will wallow in obscurity....but we live in the real world......

...shocking fans with "universe altering changes" to the Spidey mythos, mischaracterization and poor continuity is bad writing!!.....how much it sells is irrelevant to the quality of the book......

If someone comes to this board and says "Marvel is financially going down the tubes" they're wrong, and it can be proven using empirical data....if someone comes to this board and rips on the current status of Spider-man the character and uses well thought out examples, then their opinion is valid no matter how negative it may be and no matter how well it's selling......just my opinion

Aloha,
And I strongly support people critiquing all Spidey stories. My point is that ,if before JMS, Spidey sold in the top 20's and since JMS he's been in the top 5 and 10 out of the 100 top comics for the month,then the CRAP opinionators look foolish in the eyes of those who count-which are the publishers, editors and writers of Spidey and other Marvel comics. If Britanny Spears sells more albums this year than any other POP star-and you say she's crap- who on Earth that really matters regarding the music buisness is going to take you seriously? There was a time when internet comic book fans were taken seriously by the movie and comic book industry-I doubt that's the case today. It's just become an industry joke-The internet comic book fans will hate it-so what?
As consumers of any product, we
always have the power to NOT BUY the product. But when you have people who spend endless time writing about how crappy something is-it makes that person look like someone who needs to get a life and go on with their life. And regardles of their well thought out critique- if their opinions fly in the face of the predominant consumer market for that product- then they are irrelavent. I don't want that for internet comic book fans.I would much rather see us use our powers of critique on comics we like. And show our disgust at crap with our dollars.
Spidey rules

WhatIfTales said:

Perhaps not, but then again, i hardly think anyone could defend the notion that anyone in Dream theater has one ounce of the dancing and performing talent that Britny does, as they pretty much just stand there and wail away on their respective instruments...not everyone goes to a concert looking for the same thing, or even the same type of music. And the same holds true for what an individual fan gets out of reading a Spider-Man story.

See, that's what really grabs my ass about message boards. Over on the Spider-Man Comics forum, in the JMS Is Off ASM thread, someone actually chides the fans over at Newsarama who say they enjoyed JMS' run. People need to realize that just because THEY feel a certain way about JMS, or any OTHER aspects of the books, not everyone else will nescessary feel the same.

I think Donald is absolutely correct.

CaptainStacy said:
See, that's what really grabs my ass about message boards. Over on the Spider-Man Comics forum, in the JMS Is Off ASM thread, someone actually chides the fans over at Newsarama who say they enjoyed JMS' run. People need to realize that just because THEY feel a certain way about JMS, or any OTHER aspects of the books, not everyone else will nescessary feel the same.

I think Donald is absolutely correct.

Personally I'd never chide anyone for a personal preference, I have every Air Supply album ever released, the point I was trying to make is that popularity does not equate quality.....I'll let it go at that!

Donald Thomas said:
And regardles of their well thought out critique- if their opinions fly in the face of the predominant consumer market for that product- then they are irrelavent.

with all due respect Donald.....so I should keep my feelings to myself if they don't coincide with "pop culture"??. or the masses??...I mean they're irrelevant right??....having an opinion is never irrelevant Donald and you better than anyone should know that!.......

....I'll grant you, there are some people who spend more time b&^%hing moaning and complaining about comics than they do actually reading them......but if I see what I consider a mischaracterization in a spidey story, or simply put, lazy writing, I'm going to mention it be damned what the current trend is.......

WhatIfTales said:
with all due respect Donald.....so I should keep my feelings to myself if they don't coincide with "pop culture"??. or the masses??...I mean they're irrelevant right??....having an opinion is never irrelevant Donald and you better than anyone should know that!.......

....I'll grant you, there are some people who spend more time b&^%hing moaning and complaining about comics than they do actually reading them......but if I see what I consider a mischaracterization in a spidey story, or simply put, lazy writing, I'm going to mention it be damned what the current trend is.......

Aloha,
And i support that effort to always keep Marvel on their toes, 100%. It's the incredible amount of energy that some fans spend on what they don't like, compared to what is being done well and why, that I take issue with. As a Spider-Man fan, you must be critical-it's an unwritten law.At no time should Spider-Man fans accept the out of continutiy/out of character insanity- that has passed for Peter Parker/Spider-Man for some time now. There I said it. Nuff said. Now let's focus on what is being done right with the character and how we can get Marvel to see that it's in their best interest to place fan favorite writers and artist on the Spidey titles.We the fans, know the sort of people in the industry who can both write Spider-Man and sell comics.What movtivated me to start this thread, is my concern that the Internet comic book fans, are losing or have lost,the power they used to have over the comic and movie industry. As a result of the over whelming success of the Spider-Man movies-despite our cry of Organics Suck. Billions of dollars have been made from the franchise.Who at Sony cares about Organics Suck? Marvel for their part created anOther Spider-Man with organics to fit in with the movie version. WHAT I AM PROPOSING IS A NEW STRATEGY. If we the internet fans, spend more energy critiquing what we like and why and tell people to get those books, we become unpaid salespeople( for what ever companies books you like). When you become someone who is pushing thier product, you become someone who has greater value to them,than someone who has established that they hate a particular writer,artist or title months ago, and continue to spend time talking about it.As comic book fans, we are spending money every month on this product. We should never be taken lightly.
Spidey rules

Donald Billions of dollars have been made from the franchise.Who at Sony cares about Organics Suck? Marvel for their part created anOther Spider-Man with organics to fit in with the movie version. WHAT I AM PROPOSING IS A NEW STRATEGY. If we the internet fans said:
Excellent points.....that's actually why I praise Punisher Max and the Daredevil series (at times ad nauseum I'm sure)...I just think they're great mags and should be selling far better then they are....

....and I agree, I think there's a "positive" negative reaction to a title and conversely a "negative" negative reaction....the latter I'm convinced serves no purpose than to stand on a soap box .....when it gets silly is in threads where people "speculate" what'll happen in an up-coming Spidey story and then dump on it as if the speculation had any merit....

....to keep it on a positive note...I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Spider-man Reign series......got it on my pull already!! yay!!.....

WhatIfTales said:
Excellent points.....that's actually why I praise Punisher Max and the Daredevil series (at times ad nauseum I'm sure)...I just think they're great mags and should be selling far better then they are....

....and I agree, I think there's a "positive" negative reaction to a title and conversely a "negative" negative reaction....the latter I'm convinced serves no purpose than to stand on a soap box .....when it gets silly is in threads where people "speculate" what'll happen in an up-coming Spidey story and then dump on it as if the speculation had any merit....

....to keep it on a positive note...I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Spider-man Reign series......got it on my pull already!! yay!!.....

Aloha,
Keep praising what you think is written and drawn well. Companies in general want to know what fans are buying not what they are not buying. Let's go into 2007 with a postive approach to getting the quality of books that we want to see.
Spidey rules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"