• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John August HATES the Captain Marvel Comic Books!

Haha. I hate his work so far, but the guy is hilariously honest. It's something very few people dare to admit; a lot of early comics are absolute crap compared to "modern" standards. The ideas are classic and often brilliant (proven by their endurance through time) but a lot of the actual dialogue, captions, and art is dreadful. They can be defended in that they were pioneering the way, and comics have been built over the last hundred years by generations working off the shoulders of the previous generations' giants. Same goes for film and television.

No one should make a blanket statement like "ALL old things suck" because they don't, and not all new things rule, either (quite the contrary). But there's a huge stigma today against anyone who criticizes "old stuff" - they're immediately labeled as moronic or ADD-riddled, unable to comprehend stuff that isn't of their time. That's definitely the case sometimes, but not always. You should criticize something not simply because it's old, but because it's other qualities, those that transcend time, do indeed suck. No art is sacred, not even old art. Art doesn't get a free pass just cause it was made yesterday and not today.

I don't agree with everything he said, but he was right in the areas of comics. I am sorry I don't want to see Superman leaping instead of flying. I don't want to see Hoppy The Marvel Bunny, the Lt. Marvels, or Tawky Tawney in a movie. They maybe fun but not on screen and in today's comics. Unless you put Hoppy on the Krypto cartoon. You have got to understand as well, that comics have progressed somewhat in style and storytelling and if you tried to put some concepts on screen, it would be silly. I love Captain Marvel and have for years. I just do not think we will get a CINO.He should be a light character, but he should also be a PROGREESIVE character as well.

from filmwad.com

http://www.filmwad.com/captain-marve...al-2143-p.html

\--------------------
Captain Marvel Scribe Hates the Source Material
RottenTomatoes reports that John August, writer of the upcoming Captain Marvel movie, has balls.

"Every time I read one of [the classic Captain Marvel comics], I’m struck with the same realization I encounter trying to watch The Honeymooners or a black-and-white movie: Wow. Old things suck."

Disagree with the statement if you must (how does a screenwriter complain that black and white movies suck?), but you've gotta agree that August has some balls insulting the source material for a project he's involved in.

Especially considering his body of work (Go, Charlie's Angels 1 and 2, Corpse Bride) isn't exactly full of classics.

"Yes," August said. "I know that will piss off the vintage comics fans, who insist that the original incarnations are the purest forms of a character. But what you quickly realize is that old-time comic books were awkwardly written, crudely drawn, and bewilderingly inconsistent with their rules. They were making up the art form as they went along, and today’s comic books are better for the accumulated wisdom."

Stay tuned for reports of August's death at the hands of an enraged fanboy.

could care less what he has to say about old comics, but his opinion on "black and white movies" pretty much explains his body of work.

As far as the statement regarding comics, I think it's half-cocked and is pretty good at displaying how much he is actually steeped in fanboy lore. There were some serious and respectable types of stories going on in those days (Shadow, old Batman, etc.) that are definitely worth their hype. However, just dropping a blanket statement on how old stuff sucks is pretty foolish. It's also indicative of the kind of thought mode this guy runs in. I shudder to think of how he wants to imagine Cap. Looking at his previous work, I'll hope for the best (that being his replacement on the project). Anyone who would write the Charlie's Angels movies needs to be imprisoned for life in a small rubber room with William Hung's rendition of "She Bangs" played in a continuous loop cranked up to 11.

As far as the statement regarding comics, I think it's half-cocked and is pretty good at displaying how much he is actually steeped in fanboy lore. There were some serious and respectable types of stories going on in those days (Shadow, old Batman, etc.) that are definitely worth their hype. However, just dropping a blanket statement on how old stuff sucks is pretty foolish. It's also indicative of the kind of thought mode this guy runs in. I shudder to think of how he wants to imagine Cap. Looking at his previous work, I'll hope for the best (that being his replacement on the project). Anyone who would write the Charlie's Angels movies needs to be imprisoned for life in a small rubber room with William Hung's rendition of "She Bangs" played in a continuous loop cranked up to 11.

Did you actually see the entire blog entry? Its on the last page - I think the guy has a good understanding of the character.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"