John Byrne Should Be Drawing For Marvel!

Dusty

Civilian
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the legendary writer/artist extraordinaire and messageboard disciplinarian, John Byrne. I'm not some blind fanatic, though, like some claim, but I do enjoy his linework, output, designs, and covers.

He's the kind of artist that would work well on the Hulk, Fantastic Four, one of the Avengers titles, Iron-Man, X-Men, Alpha Flight, Wolverine, Marvel Team Up, or a number of more obscure character books.

He would also be an ideal candidate for short term projects (so the eventual bad blood between him and his editor would never boil over). I think he'd be great in the role that John Romita Jr. now has at Marvel, bouncing around the Marvel Universe. He could do things like a Captain America WWII mini or a Marvel Universe mini in the same vain as World War Hulk or Secret Invasion.

I do wish he'd pay more attention to filling most every panel with detailed backgrounds. I also wish he'd embrace the new coloring techniques a bit more.

I like his old stuff better, but he's still really good.

OMG,the Dusty campaign begins.

John Byrne should not be drawing, period.

Isn't he doing some really, really small press boook now, or something?

Isn't he doing some really, really small press boook now, or something?

He's doing JLA Classified for 6 issues at DC with Roger Stern right now. I'm a fan of both of them, but I stick with Marvel, so no sale.

He's also doing some Star Trek stuff and a creator owned 5 issue mini written by one of his board members, who comminsioned Byrne to draw it.

He also makes a healthy living off of doing commisions, especially Marvel commisions. He claims Marvel no longer exists, but I guess that doesn't apply when he can exploit their characters for his own financial gain! :woot:

I wouldn't mind seeing Byrne's art again if he could take himself back to his older, Uncanny X-Men-era style. His style's shifted a lot over the years to the point that his more recent work looks really bland and uninteresting to me.

I wouldn't mind seeing Byrne's art again if he could take himself back to his older, Uncanny X-Men-era style. His style's shifted a lot over the years to the point that his more recent work looks really bland and uninteresting to me.

Like this?

2008-01-21_130257_FX2.jpg

2008-01-09_210457_2007-05-23_093155_PG02b.jpg

Yeah. It looks so soulless, like he's not even trying anymore.

He's probably not. All he cares about now is talking down to his fans on his message board. Seriously, he's the Kl'rt to their Praxagora. They keep coming back for more abuse.

There's something to be said for abuse, man. Don't knock it.

Or, better yet, do knock it. Knock it 'til it cries for more.

I think I'm going to go kick my dog, get him to come back for a treat and kick him again. :up:

He's probably not. All he cares about now is talking down to his fans on his message board. Seriously, he's the Kl'rt to their Praxagora. They keep coming back for more abuse.

I'm not so sure he really cares about the fans on his messageboard, because that was written and commisioned by one of those fans for thousands of dollars, and it's some of Byrne weakest stuff. His recent Atom stuff was much better, so it's like he's not taking this mini series seriously like if it were a "real" comic.

John Byrne doesn't care about anything but himself and hating black people.

I think the only stuff he cares about (other than himself) migh be his Next Men...

:huh: :huh: :huh:

I personally hope the guy just stays away from anything at Marvel... maybe a pencilling story, if he could actually care enough to draw it, but I'd hate to see him write a Marvel book.

Ugh... :csad:

And this is coming from a guy that read his Fantastic Four run as it was coming out, as well as his Alpha Flight, and the majority of his Uncanny X-Men comics...

Chapter One, for as bad as it was, made at least some sort of sense.

It ultimately was quietly retconned away, in any event. Let it go, TMOB. Let it go. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"