John Krasinski and Emily Blunt find A Quiet Place

I liked the movie, but it wasn't as intense as it was hyped up to be.

Yep, I thought the many tense moments were great. The set up and the way it was presented helped with all of this.

Any Oscar nominations, do you think?

Probably not. While A Quiet Place may have been a more exciting thriller than Get Out, that movie really thrived on its social commentary and clever writing, and the buzz from that got it all the way to the Oscars.

The only way this movie stands out during award season bis for it being a mostly dialogue-less film. Which I applaud Krasinski for.

Yeah, I definitely think it will deserve a sound design nom. And I wouldn't mind seeing the daughter get an acting nod, but I would be surprised if she did. I think acting wise it's going to run into the same issue Logan had. Stewart I think was completely worthy of a nom, but because it was a genre film that didn't break major social commentary barriers like Get Out, it got forgotten for most of the big awards.

As for it being as intense/not as intense as people expected...I think that just comes down to how subjective horror is. It's like comedy, what people find funny or scary is hugely up to that person. Some people get really frightened by body horror. I don't find it particularly scary, I just find it gross. Some people could care less for demon stories, but I was raised Catholic as a child, so no matter how long it's been since I've set foot in a church, that sh&*t will always scare me on some level. It's just up to the person.

Catholicism is like rife with horror stories.

Catholicism has rich history and lore behind it to give it weight. These newfound feel good church preachers couldn’t fight a demon in a movie.

Yeah, I definitely think it will deserve a sound design nom.
One of my greatest Oscar disappoint was when the originalMission Impossible film didn't win The Oscar for Sound Editing.
The nomination was because of that great vault sequence.

Thought this was about a B/B+. Really find John average/good as an actor and feel with an A lister talent wise opposite Blunt could've been an A movie.

So, just came back from seeing this. Gotta say with all the hypes and critical acclaims, I'm a little bit disappointing. There're a lot of good s stuff, but overall it just dont work for me.

The directing in the tension sequences is absolutely top-notch. John Krasinski did a very good job. The set up, the camera works, the way it's cut and presented,.. everything is brilliant. Other than that, i would say the directing is decent ;to very good but pretty standard stuff. I wowuld be happy if John gets an Oscar Director nod, which wont happen anyway.

The acting is certainly the best thing about this movie. Everyone is very very good. Emily Blunt is outstanding and deserves an Oscar nod for this role.

With all that being said, I'll move to the drawbacks. My biggest issue with this movie is the writing. The plot is quite weak and bland if you ask me. It's well executed thanks to John Krasinski's directing, but if you put that aside and judge the plot merely, it's kind of pointless.
Nothing happened in this movie. With the lack of dialogues, I thought they should include more twists and a decent story to compensate. But no, it's completely straight-forward and a extremely boring
. John Krasinski took a weak script and executed it brilliantly.

The movie had a strong starts but towards the end it became so generic, predictable. The third arc is far behind the first arc. The ending sucks and cheesy as hell.

Overall, it's a 6/10 for me.

Get Out is just levels above. I would say if you want to watch these kinds of movies than Don't Breathe is a much, much better choice.
Get Out >>> Don't Breathe >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A Quiet Place for me.

Last edited:
I was squirming in my seat when she was walking down the steps oblivious to that nail poking up.

Great film.

Saw it last night; very intense, well acted and engrossing. Krasinski did a great job directing and acting, Emily Blunt is always a pleasure to watch and for once, kids in a movie didn’t annoy me (probably because they didn’t talk, lol). The alien creature design was really top notch too.

However, I have to put this movie in the category of “Great Films that Kinda Fall Apart Due to One Glaring Problem.” And that is simply this.

USE A CONDOM YOU IDIOTS.

The world is being ravaged by monsters that kill anything that makes a loud noise. So maybe do anything you can NOT to get pregnant in said world? Raid the nearest CVS and take all the contraceptives! Hell, pull out! I seriously can’t believe that a couple that has been married for this long and was smart enough to devise all these ways to keep their family safe from these creatures is too dumb to know how to have sex without getting pregnant.

Now, this could have easily been fixed. If Emily had gotten pregnant before the Daredevil Monster Apocalypse and they just had to deal with the pregnancy, that could have worked. But we know that’s not the case, because it’s been something like 472 days since it all went to hell. So six or seven months into this nightmare, these two apparently thought hey, let’s throw caution to the wind and have some fun.

Now, I suppose it’s possible that they were using protection and it failed them. Okay, fine. But maybe there should have been some dialogue in the film that indicated that. I know dialogue was intentionally sparse here, but one or two lines (even via sign language) could have kept these two from looking like complete idiots.

Okay, had to get that off my chest. I really liked the movie but that plot hole was bothering me the whole time.

Regarding the pregnancy, it’s quite obvious and made obvious in the movie that both the husband and wife were feeling guilty over what happened in the opening scene.

That’s the reason she gets pregnant again and personally I was able to buy it.

Yeah, they pretty much wanted a second chance.

I didn't have as big a problem with the pregnancy as others apparently have. It didn't take away from my enjoyment in the film. Probably because I'm looking at it as..."well, what else are we going to do, stop having children?" So what if we never get rid of these monsters? What if this was day 4000 instead of day 470? What if this becomes the new "norm" for the world going forward? Do we just stop having children and let the human race die out? It signified to me that the human race will figure out how to survive and continue even in the gravest of circumstances.

I can see some Oscar nods, but no actual wins. It was a tightly written script with some originality and well acted and directed. We have a long way to go in 2018, but so far, I would say it's probably in the top 10 best films.

One thing I appreciated about this movie was how it basically didn't feel the need to explain ****, you as the viewer just have to figure out what happened and what's going to happen. I heard some people walked out due to how plodding it was but sometimes you gotta use your brain at the movies.

I think it's locked at 2 sound categories. Emily Blunt is a deserved nominee also. John Krasinski for directing is a long shot but I wouldnt be surprised. Screenplay ? Please, I think that the script is a major drawback of the film. For me it's a bland script but brilliantly executed.

This movie gives me the same feeling as when I watched The Shape of Water. Bland, average writing, but exceptional directing.

Regarding the pregnancy, it’s quite obvious and made obvious in the movie that both the husband and wife were feeling guilty over what happened in the opening scene.

That’s the reason she gets pregnant again and personally I was able to buy it.

So she wasn’t pregnant at the beginning of the film? Okay, I missed that. I just assumed she was.

But still, they did something that would put all of their lives in danger, ESPECIALLY that newborn kid. Great plan. Let me tell you, I was on a plane the day before I saw this movie. There was a couple with a baby a couple seats down. That kid wouldn’t up for HOURS no matter what they did. What the husband and wife did in this movie by having another child is miles beyond irresponsible and stupid.

I didn't have as big a problem with the pregnancy as others apparently have. It didn't take away from my enjoyment in the film. Probably because I'm looking at it as..."well, what else are we going to do, stop having children?" So what if we never get rid of these monsters? What if this was day 4000 instead of day 470? What if this becomes the new "norm" for the world going forward? Do we just stop having children and let the human race die out? It signified to me that the human race will figure out how to survive and continue even in the gravest of circumstances.

I can see some Oscar nods, but no actual wins. It was a tightly written script with some originality and well acted and directed. We have a long way to go in 2018, but so far, I would say it's probably in the top 10 best films.

I think that's what it was too. They were teaching their kids not only how to survive, but how to live.

So she wasn’t pregnant at the beginning of the film? Okay, I missed that. I just assumed she was.

But still, they did something that would put all of their lives in danger, ESPECIALLY that newborn kid. Great plan. Let me tell you, I was on a plane the day before I saw this movie. There was a couple with a baby a couple seats down. That kid wouldn’t up for HOURS no matter what they did. What the husband and wife did in this movie by having another child is miles beyond irresponsible and stupid.

No she got pregnant after what happened in the opening scene, as they both felt guilty because of it. And yeah I know baby’s are noisy, that’s why they made that sound proof room.

guilt or not, still way too risky.

The beginning was day 89. The movie took place mostly in day 472 so she was not pregnant to start.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"