• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Joker 'JOKER: FOLIE À DEUX' (Phillips and Phoenix return for the sequel) General News & Discussion Thread

I've a feeling that most people on the last page are forever looking for the keymaster.

Unpopular opinion: Ledger played the better villain but Phoenix played a more interesting character. Ledger gets so much fawning adoration that it’s turned me off.

Yeah, pretty much the reaction I expected. 😛

I watched TDK a few weeks for the first time in years...Ledger is still great and while I love Arthur Fleck Joker it's not in the same league.
I can’t rewatch TDK in full now. I’ve seen it too many times, but every now and then I always rewatch Ledger’s performance. Masterful as ever. Bale’s Batman and voice has aged like milk to me, but those kinds of truths ain’t welcome here. :rofl:

I mean, complaining about Bale's Batman voice is probably one of the least hot takes ever but ok. :oldrazz:

Sure, but he just really became the least interesting and favorite part of said flicks for me, excluding BB. Hearing his voice triggers some kind of ptsd to my ears tho, sweet Jesus, but that we going in circles at this point.

Unpopular opinion: Ledger played the better villain but Phoenix played a more interesting character. Ledger gets so much fawning adoration that it’s turned me off.
Ledger is the overplayed rock song on your dad's favourite radio station

Ledger is the overplayed rock song on your dad's favourite radio station
... that we end up rediscovering years later, understanding why it's a classic? :D

More seriously, I really like Ledger in the role from the day the first TDK trailer came out, but I don't consider it the definitive version... because I actually don't think there's such things with malleable characters like the Joker. That's also why I've been annoyed more than once by the way this version is always brought up at every opportunity to dismiss other takes...
I mean, from my point of view, we can be very happy that the Joker is treated relatively well in the cinema, with a wide variety of proposals.
And I actually think there are still some other aspects waiting to be explored.

Last edited:
The point of the Joker is all versions are definitive, and yet none are.

When Waid did origins for all the characters The Joker was done in such a way even he didn't know. The Jojer mentions the 3 best known but never acknowledges which is correct...cause they all could be.

That role is also Ledger’s shining moment and literally his legacy in pop culture. Yes, people do talk about it a lot, but I do think it’s well deserved. He left such a mark in pop culture that it’s understandable why it is so “over hyped”

Last edited:
That role changed how everyone has approached villainous characters in pretty much all media. That whole film had such an impact, we may not see anything with that much power for a long time. I can’t even think of a film after TDK that has had such influence on every aspect of the film/tv/storytelling industry.

Unpopular opinion. I didn't care for the joker film.
He didn't come off as some super smart sociopath that could go toe to toe with even the likes of a Adam West Batman.
Now, as a film about some random dudes fall into psychotic behavior, it's fine, but as a film called the joker, it's not.

Phoenix's performance is the only reason Joker is worth watching. It's otherwise an extremely mediocre, unoriginal film without anything to say in particular. Personally, I've not revisited it since 2019.

I've gone back and forth about how i feel about the first Joker film. Surprisingly, I think this being a musical may actually end up being a good thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"