Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by :eek:, Nov 30, 2012.

1. :eek: Registered

Ramping up its event drama output, BBC One has commissioned three new series for 2013. Period fantasy drama Jonathan Strange And Mr Norrell is a six-part series based on the best-selling novel by Susanna Clarke and adapted by Wallander‘s Peter Harness. The book is an alternate history of England set during the Napoleonic Wars and focusing on a magician and his apprentice who use their powers to help the government but who are ultimately pitted against one another. New Line optioned the movie rights back in 2005 with Christopher Hampton adapting, but the film was never made. The series is produced by Cuba Pictures in association with Feel Film and Farmoor. Cuba recently produced Rufus Norris’ well-received festival title Broken. Toby Haynes, who directed the Season 2 Sherlock finale, The Reichenbach Fall, is helming. Nick Hirschkorn and Nick Marston are producers, Justin Thomson-Glover, Patrick Irwin and Matthew Read are exec producers.

2. :eek: Registered

The plans have been floating around since last winter, but now it's official: The BBC and BBC America will co-produce a seven-part miniseries adaptation of Susanna Clarke's best seller Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell, to air in 2014. For the uninitiated, Strange follows two magicians through early-1800s Britain, so if Dan Stevens has any sense left, he is currently begging his way into the project. Surely Downton fans could forgive a costume drama with magic.

3. Sawyer High King

http://www.deadline.com/2013/10/edd...an-strange-mr-norrell-for-bbc-onebbc-america/

4. Sawyer High King

5. :eek: Registered

6. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

This show looks great. The BBC spent a ton of money on it apparently.

7. AVEITWITHJAMON Darksider

Watching it now, not terribly impressed.

8. DarthSkywalker May the Force Be With You (P) (he/him/his)

Have to wait two more weeks. Stupid America. :csad:

9. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Man, can't wait for it to come out down here. The book is A-Mazing ! It's like Jane Austen meets Harry Potter, but without the teenage angst.

cheers.

10. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

This gets better as it goes on.

Last nights episode was great.

11. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

Certainly the best thing on TV right now. Incredible show.

12. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

Great finale.

Too bad the ratings sucked because it means the BBC may be less willing to take a risk on another big genre show like this again any time soon.

13. Jesse Old Curmudgeon

I've binged the first four episodes of this and am really impressed by the production value. Marc Warren gives an excellent and creepy performance as The Gentleman.

14. erehwon0 Registered

I just hope the author is motivated enough to revisit these characters!

15. Batmannerism Super-unknown

dude ! I loved the book. How faithful is the adaptation, in terms of characters and storylines? I could see them making significant changes in terms of the story - but the characters are what make the book so captivating (and I can picture Eddie Marsan as Norrell).

What about the tone of the series ?

I ask because given the rate at which current TV shows (other than prime time crap) makes it down here is usually pretty slow (although Flash, Arrow and Agents of Shield are almost contemporaneous - Almost Human, which stars a New Zealander, only arrived here long after it had been cancelled in North America).

Holy crap, if only ! I always felt that the book ended a little anticlimactically, with Strange and Norrell still trapped and while Stephen has taken over as king of Lost Hope, how does that interact with the return of the Raven King ?

There are rumours that she is working on a sequel, but really, who knows ? We can only hope !

16. chamber-music Infinity Ammo

I have not read the books so can't compare them to the show.

The show started slow and the pace picked up the more it went on.

17. Keyser Soze AW YEEEAH!

I've not read the book, but Many who have hailed this as an incredibly faithful adaptation.

18. Batmannerism Super-unknown

cool. although as much as I loved the book I think it would still require significant adaptation to work as a tv series. But as long as they keep the characters faithful, that's what really matters I guess.