Joss Whedon developing Marvel SHIELD series for ABC

Status
Not open for further replies.
She certainly wasn't cute and clumsy on Alias either.

Isnt it possible this show is set before the Avengers film? If this is dealing with espionage and shield agents there is nothing forcing it to be set after avengers. This show could cover past shield missions. This would explain why Coulson is alive.

Isnt it possible this show is set before the Avengers film? If this is dealing with espionage and shield agents there is nothing forcing it to be set after avengers. This show could cover past shield missions. This would explain why Coulson is alive.

Or y'know... Coulson comes back in IM3?

I don't think a pre-Avengers series is a good choice. It limits the tension (since we are 100% certain that Coulson can't die), the scope of the series and how long the series can run for.

Why would they want to hamstring themselves like that?

Or y'know... Coulson comes back in IM3?

I don't think a pre-Avengers series is a good choice. It limits the tension (since we are 100% certain that Coulson can't die), the scope of the series and how long the series can run for.

Why would they want to hamstring themselves like that?

Because they dont have to stick with a linear timeline. They can bounce around similar to what was done to Clone Wars. Some early episodes occur chronologically after episodes in later seasons. This would allow the show to cover any time in shields history and future.

Because they dont have to stick with a linear timeline. They can bounce around similar to what was done to Clone Wars. Some early episodes occur chronologically after episodes in later seasons. This would allow the show to cover any time in shields history and future.

Ah, but before this, you were talking about setting the entire show before Avengers; which is highly restrictive.

Never watched Clone Wars before but what are the ratios like between the episodes set in the past and the episodes set in the future? Is it 50-50? Because, we know Coulson is going to be a main character. If he doesn't come back from the 'dead', that would mean the show would have to be more weighted towards the past.

... sticking to the first season takes place sometime pre- avengers and then continues from there SO that the timelines can be matched up and these SHIELD agents brought into AVENGERS 2 on a more linear narrative note. Having it pre does NOT take the stakes away because THESE agents should have stakes all of their own. Their lives don't rise and fall on Tony Stark. Hell, just look at any series based in a past crucial time period or period films- just because you know the news headlines, does NOT mean you know the people.

As for Coulson coming back? Wishful thinking for the fans. Reviving Coulson from the dead... kinda sounds... cheap and character-wise something they'd give Thor more for character sake (Tony wasn't there when he got killed nor by his brother, it would make more sense emotionally if Thor saved him if he was to return). So, then, as said TECHNICAL-wise and the way the two lineup, for the two to lineup you'd need to do SOMETHING and setting part of the series pre makes the most sense. Lining the two up so that the show doesn't go beyond the films would be a logistical nightmare, not really to get them lined up- but not to create any glaring plot holes from the series into the films and vice versa.

And if someone brings up stakes again. Argo ring any bells as a more recent example? And that IS the story. Focusing on SHIELD they have stakes and missions and everything all their own. Now... I forgot the timeline I lined up earlier, but I think (may be wrong) for the two to match up the first OR first and part of the second season would be pre-Avengers.

Last edited:
They put too many hints of Coulson being not-dead in Avengers for it to be an actual retcon. I think they deliberately left themselves the opening for bringing him back from the planning stage. So, my current money is on "Fury lies," and Coulson survived his injuries thanks to advanced medical care ( and possibly some cybernetic organ replacements ).

Well even if he did die and they do a retcon, it won't be the first time that has happened in TV for a popular character. In the 1970s, Lindsay Wagner's character clearly died on the operating table at the end of the Bionic Woman episode in The Six Million Dollar Man. However, she proved so popular with audiences that they brought her back. They said that she did die temporarily, but a doctor was able to cryogenically maintain her during those vital few seconds while they carried out risky, untested surgery that was able to repair her damaged parts and revive her.

Then she had a whole TV series dedicated to herself. Audiences didn't ultimately care that it was a retcon because the series was so popular at the time and people got to see their beloved Jaime Sommers once again.

So I think that ultimately this is how it will be for Coulson. Yes, it was an emotional moment in The Avengers just as it was in TSMDM for Steve Austin, and it was arguable back then that it robbed the story of that, but everyone got past that because of the greater good that came out of it.

Knowing Joss Whedon, every time he's resurrected a dead character on one of his shows, he's made the post-ressurection trauma and dealing with the ramifications of coming back an even greater ordeal than the dying was in the first place. I have some measure of faith that however Coulson comes back, it won't diminish the emotional impact of his death in the film, it'll add to it. Whedon wouldn't do it otherwise, I don't think.

I do not, however, think the LMD reference was a hint. I think it was just a gag referencing the comics.

I need charisma carpenter or Amy Acker in this.

I need charisma carpenter or Amy Acker in this.

Preferably Amy Acker. Charisma Carpenter's getting a bit too old. Amy still looks great though. She was in Warehouse 13 the other day.

A Part of me thinks that SHIELD will be used to fill in the gaps for some of the upcoming Phase 2 films like how the tie-in prequel comics were used for the events leading up to "The Avengers".

We may have some characters dealing with some of the big things going on in Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 for example, with those said characters doing their thing from another side of the world though or further expanding upon things that were established or alluded to.

Case in point, I could see SHIELD agents on this show exploring or investigating the
the whole Alien Ships arrival in London that takes place during the events of Thor 2, especially if there wasn't enough time to show SHIELD doing so on screen for the actual film.

Or I could see some Shield agents being assigned to monitor or study the events and situations going into Iron Man 3.

Charisma Is now a regular on the Lying game.

Charisma looks better now than on Buffy and angel.She has looked more smoking hot post
whedon than during her 7 years as cordelia.

I'm pretty sure Coulson never died. Fury just hid him away to get the Avengers back in gear.

I was gunna say that too, she looks phenomenal.

And even if she didn't, how would that mean she's too old to act in a TV show? Actors don't have to be pure eye candy.

Charisma Carpenter has some acting chops, but she's the type who really needs a roll she can get comfortable with long term. So basically TV.

Posted this in the ABC spinoff thread in the Marvel Films forum instead of here by mistake...

So there's this: http://blastr.com/2012/10/firefly-star-has-her-fing.php from Summer Glau.

"I have my fingers crossed behind my back. I try not to say anything to Joss about anything he's doing because he has so many actors, and I know we all want to work for him. So I don't know, but if I could be a part of it in any way, of course, you know I want to."

There is a myth of that woman starring in shows that end up getting canned. Do we want to take that risk ?

There is a myth of that woman starring in shows that end up getting canned. Do we want to take that risk ?

That's because most new TV shows end up getting cancelled in the first season. It has nothing to do with the actor and everything to do with TV being a highly competitive business.

Ugh, I hate "show killer" myths. Nathan Fillion once had that stigma attached to him, and now he's the lead in a show that's currently in its 5th season. Like Question said, the majority of new TV shows fail. Just because someone's been in a few of those doesn't mean they are responsible.

That said, if we're gonna have one Whedon actress on board here, I'd rather see Acker on this show than Glau.

No reasonable human being can look at Summer Glau's track record and think that she's the issue. With Firefly, Fox ****ed that thing six ways from sunday before it even aired! (running episodes out of order, the deathslot, etc.) and with The Cape.... well, that just looked like **** to begin with. :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"