Just how smart is Batman?

I never said the Question has skills in terms of science. Being a genius doesn't mean you are automatically balancing chemical equations for oxidized ions. You can have a musical genius (Bach) a mathematical genius (Einstein). The Question isn't going to build you powered-armor, but he is proven to be one of the three great detectives of the DCU (the other being Batman and The Elongated Man).

Mistress Gluon!

I'd say that, oddly enough, Hal Jordan was most likely the smartest host. Especially his experience in all things cosmic already helped him. He'd be closely followed by Crispus though, after which comes Jim Corrigan.
Experience and intellect are very different. I'd say Crispus is smarter given his career as a distinguished detective, solving cases and putting pieces of homicide puzzles together in slow, painstaking detail. Hal, from what I've seen, is a battering ram. He very rarely uses guile or his mind to solve problems; he charges at them headlong and figures things out as he goes.

That said, neither is as smart as Batman, let alone in the top 10.

I'd say he's smarter than the average bear.

Did anyone do that joke yet? :ninja:

The Question isn't going to build you powered-armor, but he is proven to be one of the three great detectives of the DCU (the other being Batman and The Elongated Man).

Though Question (Vic) is one of my favourite comic book characters, Detective Chimp is probably above him.

That's a good question: who's the best detective? My money's on Wesley Dodds, followed by Batman, then Elongated Man, then Detective Chimp, then the Question.

That's a good question: who's the best detective? My money's on Wesley Dodds, followed by Batman, then Elongated Man, then Detective Chimp, then the Question.

Ah, Wesley. . . I forgot about the Golden Age Sandman.

Didn't Bruce said that Wesley was even a better detective than himself?

I forgot to mention Metron who is considered one of the smartest beings of the DCU.

There should be no question that Batman is "one" of the smartest characters in the DC universe. There is little sense in arguing who is the absolute smartest, as that leaves too much room for debate and conjecture. Batman {when written well} personifies the perfection of the human mind and body. He's dedicated his entire life to all fields of study and is a true renaissance man. He may not be the greatest at any one discipline but is a master of many. Don't forget that guile and cunning are also forms of inteligence and to this end he has no equal. Plus he does have a eidetic memory which is pretty rare even in a fictional universe.

Harlekin, I think he means his reasoning abilities in solving mysteries rather than his ability to construct high tech stuff.

I'd put Hamilton Drew pretty high up there. He's in Starman, Ralph met with him in that and spoke very highly of him - it was meeting his Idol.

Obviously though he is a pure Detective and not a costumed or superhero one like the others.

Kind of obscure, I guess, but he has a great presence in Starman.

Personally, I'd always put more pure Detectives like Ralph, Hamilton, Chimp, the Croatoans above Batman, they've studyed the craft a lot more.

Batman studied the craft pretty intensively while training around the world, didn't he? I think he even got some FBI training.

Batman's detective skills are exhaustive in training and very well tuned. I definitely wouldn't say he's only "really good", but would rather say "one of the best, if not THE best."

Well, he's admitted he's not the THE best, but he's definitely one of them.

well honestly, how good is bats as a detective, alot of the time he uses aggressive pressure to get infomation from local rats

if he was constricted by the law, i don't think he would be as good as others would be.

or does hoping informants squeal like a pig while hanging them off a building with one hand

like so

09.jpg

None of the others considered to be among the greatest detectives are constricted by the law, either.

I'd put him at number two, and considering that number one is dead, he'd pretty much have to be number one. I mean, sure Bats is a jack of all trades with everything else, but as far as Detectives go, he's the best of the best of the best.

I wanted to say he still had to beat Elongated Man.

But life already did. :(

None of the others considered to be among the greatest detectives are constricted by the law, either.
but are their tatics based on the same harsh forms of interrogation?

bats is like the king of beating people up for answers

Well, he's admitted he's not the THE best, but he's definitely one of them.
I know he's also said that Tim Drake is potentially (will be) better than he is, in fact even said (I believe) one day Tim would be the greatest detective ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"