Just Read this

logansoldcigar

Superhero
Reaction score
I accept this plays ito the hands of people like Cellsnog and the other arch right wingers, but this is like...wow.

remember kids, our good old western governments suck up to the leaders there cos they have oil, and spend the piles of money it makes them on arms and big cars and gold plated toilet paper n stuff.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7096814.stm

and for the hard of linking:

An appeal court in Saudi Arabia has doubled the number of lashes and added a jail sentence as punishment for a woman who was gang-raped.

The victim was initially punished for violating laws on segregation of the sexes - she was in an unrelated man's car at the time of the attack.

When she appealed, the judges said she had been attempting to use the media to influence them.

The attackers' sentences - originally of up to five years - were doubled.

Extra penalties

According to the Arab News newspaper, the 19-year-old woman, who is from Saudi Arabia's Shia minority, was gang-raped 14 times in an attack in the eastern province a year-and-a-half ago.

Seven men from the majority Sunni community were found guilty of the rape and sentenced to prison terms ranging from just under a year to five years.

But the victim was also punished for violating Saudi Arabia's laws on segregation that forbid unrelated men and women from associating with each other. She was initially sentenced to 90 lashes for being in the car of a strange man.

On appeal, the Arab News reported that the punishment was not reduced but increased to 200 lashes and a six-month prison sentence.

The rapists also had their prison terms doubled. But the sentences are still low considering they could have faced the death penalty.

The Arab News quoted an official as saying the judges had decided to punish the girl for trying to aggravate and influence the judiciary through the media.

The victim's lawyer was suspended from the case, has had his licence to work confiscated, and faces a disciplinary session.

Thats right: get gang raped (14 times,) get 200 lashes and 6 months.

lovely world we live in, isn't it :)

btw, due to the lousy work surf control, that took 4 attempts to post.
the things i do to make you people's lives a wee bit easier.

Saudi Arabia has gotten a huge "WTF" from me for years. One of the reasons is their series of gender laws.

Not only was the victim punished for being seen with an unrelated male, but the lawyer who defended her is facing punishment.

The thing is, i accept that Monarchistic Islamic theocracies are crap holes, just like i think a christian theocracy would be a crap hole, simply on the animal farm basis: Power Corrupts

Its the fact that a few short weeks ago, Her Maj was sucking up to King Faud, and we quite happily sell the saudi's all kind of crud, mainly cos it suits us. and yet, as a regime, they are more rotten and brutal than the Iranian's (who aint flawless by any stretch, but, for instance, the Iranian system guarantees government/parliament representation for the "minority" religions such as christianity and judiasm, amongst others) that gets me. Our leaders in the west happily smoke this idiots pole cos its worth our while. (whilst criticizing the french and the russians for not wanting to join gulf war 2 cos they doing the same thing with Saddam. and bad place, at least saddam went through with the pretence of having an election every now and then)

and in the meantime we accept the victim of what was obviously a nasty gang rape gets a worse punishment than the blokes that did it,(and anyone that thinks she got the lesser punishment is a fool) cos the Saudi's are "on our sode"

shows how much we, as a race, suck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"