Kevin Costner is Mr. Brooks

always been a Costner fan

Just saw this last night. Was surprised by how good it is!! Anyone else see it yet??

It was much darker and much more intense that I thought. Even the trailers didn't make it seem this crazy. Essentially, Costner is a serial killer, and it remains that dark throughout. You start to side with him (a little bit), but for most, you can't really side with a guy who's addicted to killing. Either way it was very good and I'd suggest it to people looking for something very dark, and for those who like serial killer movies. It's no Zodiac, but it is pretty damn good.

I really want to see this. Is Dane Cook any good in a dark role?

Poster

mrbrooksosvi3.jpg

Poster looks awsome, I saw the trailer other day it was great. I'm looking forward to this movie.

I saw this movie based off of the poster- no TV spots, trailers or anything- and goddamn, Mr. Brooks was an apology from the cinema gods for sucking it up with Spidey, Shrek and Pirates.

Just say it today, and I loved it. I agree with some who felt Demi Moore's character and her whole subplot felt a bit shoehorned, but other than that, I loved it. I really liked Dane's character, and Costner was really surprising. Him and Hurt together was pure gold!! Hurt was damn near flawless.

Only other issue, not enough Marg Helgenberger.

I love that you never know for sure if his daughter killed the guy at her school or not. But that dream sequence where he checked in on her, and she stabbed him, and put on his glasses, that was just great!!

Kevin Costner & William Hurt are terrific in their Jekyll and Hyde like sinister roles in Mr.Brooks.Even Dane Cook wasnt to bad.
I loved how Brooks calmly approached his daily life,even when presented with situations that would make a parent lose it.I thought Demi Moore was good but parts of her story werent intriguing enough to hold my attention,most of it felt forced.I did like that the film is left open for more.Is MGM seeking a franchise?? Not a bad idea,i would love to see more interaction between Costner and Moore,thats if the aforementioned comes to pass.
Scale of 1-10 an 8

Oh, I'd love to see another Mr. Brooks movie! The interaction between Costner and Hurt make it all the more enjoyable. And I do like how Mr. Brooks is so calm about everything. You can look at him, and not suspect him of anything. And Marshall's always there to make sure he covers his tracks. It's so amazing how they make Marshall feel like he's an actual person, separate from Brooks.

The problem with Demi's character, and her subplot is that it's just ridiculous.
On the one end, we've got the whole divorce settlement with Smith from Sex and The City. As Demi's character has 60 million dollars from a trust fund, and her soon-to-be ex-husband wants like 5 million in spousal support. And her reasoning for being a cop, "daddy hated that I wasn't born a boy." WTF?!?! One, that's a ridiculously tired cliche of female cop characters, and two, you've got 60 million dollars!!! Don't become a cop, hire a freakin' shrink on retainer to get over your daddy issues!!

If that's not enough, we've got an escaped serial killer (who I didn't even realize was Matt Schultze) who's threatened to come after Demi, and for like two minutes, the movie completely switches gears, when him and his skanky girlfriend try to kidnap Demi, and she gets catapulted out of the van they scooped her up into.

Haven't seen it. Looks predictable and SILLY. Costner needs to do better than that. I've seen the previews for it and don't buy it for a second . He's anything but SCARY. Having Dane Cook as a sidekick and Demi Moore chasing after him aren't making things better. Costner needs to do better movies or retire. I know that not's going to happen he's been in this slump for a decade or more now.

Haven't seen it. Looks predictable and SILLY. Costner needs to do better than that. I've seen the previews for it and don't buy it for a second . He's anything but SCARY. Having Dane Cook as a sidekick and Demi Moore chasing after him aren't making things better. Costner needs to do better movies or retire. I know that not's going to happen he's been in this slump for a decade or more now.

Heh, you pretty much lost the right to say anything bad about the movie with the first sentence.

I just saw a trailer for this and it looks ridiculous. It seems like a waste of William Hurt, to me.

I find it more funny than anything that Dane Cook is actually playing a serious role.

Just saw this on Saturday. It was AWESOME! I HIGHLY recommend this film...great performances all around, especially by Costner and Hurt. F**k Spider-Man and Jack Sparrow... my new summer movie hero is MR. BROOKS.

I liked Costner's response to the first murder, I thought it was rather creepy, as well is the steps he took after doing such. :up:
I enjoyed Demi Moore's role, that is where a lot of the action took place. When it happen, which was rare and sudden, a bit of a shock to the senses. It's a quiet story being told and then BAM!!! it gets loud and fast. :up: and then goes back to a slow but pleasant pace.

really enjoyed this. Hurt was great and actually pretty hillarious in his role, Costner was great, and Cook was tolerable. i loved the whole subplot with his daughter, that was awesome.

I saw this movie based off of the poster- no TV spots, trailers or anything- and goddamn, Mr. Brooks was an apology from the cinema gods for sucking it up with Spidey, Shrek and Pirates.
my thoughts exactly, best summer movie so far and it pretty much went completely under the radar. :csad:
go see it while its still in theatres. everything you think will be silly- it's wrong. you're wrong. go see it. :o

Sucks that it doesn´t come up till August here :(

awesome movie, i saw it about a month ago and i still think about it, Costner and Hurt were just fantastic. The story was brilliant and god, i love the ending.

It was enjoyable. But I felt it had a poor sense of focus, and the style was all over the place. Multiple feels and styles can work out perfectly if done correctly, but it just didn't feel that way to me. At times it was brilliant, at times it was meh.

All in all, it wasn't bad... but it could've been a lot better.

the movie was oscar material.....

im 100% sure it would win one, if dane cook wasnt in it to make it seems cheap.

This came out on DVD yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it kicked ass. If you're a Costner-hater then you probably won't like it (like most of his movies), but if you're a fan and haven't yet seen it then you're in for a real treat imo.

Great acting all around, especially from William Hurt and Kevin (who still manages to be a really likeable guy despite being a murderous psycho). I found Dane Cook a little annoying but it fit with his character so no harm there.

Demi is still hot as hell and definitely holds her own. She has a number of great moments in the movie that make her character pretty badass.

8/10

P.S. Loved the scenes where Brooks and his alter ego simultaneously burst into maniacal laughter.

God this movie owns in all kinds of ways. First of all, I hate Dane Cook. I can't stand him, I think he's overrated, etc.

Yet, not even the horrid Cook could derail this film. He was actually good in it too, anyways I digress.

WILLIAM HURT.

The man is a genius. His reactions with Costner are what made the film for me. His mannerisms, his laugh, all perfect.

The movie itself wasn't perfect, yet very enjoyable. Costner gave a solid performance. Surprised that no one really talked about this movie on here.:huh:

the ending.....oh man:heart:
[/random bump]

I saw this last night and loved it, Costner was superb as Brooks and his interaction with Hurt as the "demon on his shoulder" was brilliant, the whole film is gripping from start to finish, superbly directed and paced with the labyrinthine plot points all tying up satisfyingly with room for a sequel, which i hope happens as Mr Brooks is a wonderfully macabre character brought to life by Costner.
He and (in her best role in years) Demi Moore's detective Atwood still have a game to finish, not to mention what could be done with his daughter.

9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"