Law School?

webhead921

Civilian
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!

I'm about a year away from getting an undergrad in History and Philosophy with a minor in Italian. I was thinking about going to law school, but I don't really know that much about it. I was wondering if anyone here is/was in law school or knows someone who is and could give me any advice about what the classes are like and the application process. Thanks!

Hello Everyone!

I'm about a year away from getting an undergrad in History and Philosophy with a minor in Italian. I was thinking about going to law school, but I don't really know that much about it. I was wondering if anyone here is/was in law school or knows someone who is and could give me any advice about what the classes are like and the application process. Thanks!

what are you aiming for?

top tier law schools require at least a 3.5+ gpa and a strong lsat score.

other less important criteria include extra curricular activities like maybe internships or jobs, school prestige and teacher recommendations.

my advice if you're serious about it is to start studying for the lsat now, as it is arguably the most important factor in the admission process.

I'm currently studying law, but in Australia, we don't have "law school" like you guys, you just do an extra law degree at university then if you want to practice as a solicitor you do 6 - 12 months at college of law in which ever state you want to practice in, then some work placement, then you get admitted to the law society and can practice.

Law is a fascinating subject, especially if you like history and philosophy and reasoning etc. Italian should help too as it's almost similar to Latin...sort of...

but be warned, it's nothing like on tv. there's alot of form filling to be done, a tedious observance of "due process" and a lot of reading. I mean a-lot of reading. but a fair amount of the laws and such are just common sense so you should be fine.
Just be warned. Some subjects will interest you, some will bore you to tears!

Thanks for all the info. Right now my GPA is about 3.3, and I've been practicing for the LSAT, which I will take in June and September. I'm worried about my lack of clubs/jobs/internships. So far, all I've done is work at McDonalds for 2 years and private tutor.

Thanks for all the info. Right now my GPA is about 3.3, and I've been practicing for the LSAT, which I will take in June and September. I'm worried about my lack of clubs/jobs/internships. So far, all I've done is work at McDonalds for 2 years and private tutor.

try to get an internship this year perhaps.

also, what school are you going to graduate from?

Hello Everyone!

My advice to you is this:

1) Know 110% if you really want to go.
2) Be sure how much debt you're willing to take on.
3) Check the job market for lawyers in the area of the country you want to settle in.

Right now, there is a dearth of lawyers and not quite enough jobs...thus people are not making the money they thought they would upon graduation and their loans (anywhere from $60,000 to $110,000) start to choke them a bit.

Check out these links:
http://opinionjournal.com/taste/?id=110008556
http://taxprof.typepad.com/taxprof_blog/2008/01/the-dark-side-o.html

I'd also recommend checking various articles on the web regarding the state of law schools in the US.

If you still want to go, more power to you. I love the law and very much enjoy being a lawyer, but the job search can kill a guy. Some tips if you do decide to go:

Before Law school:
1) Study for the LSAT. You don't necessarily need to take a Kaplan review course, but DO get a couple LSAT study books from your local Borders and take practice tests (2-3). As for the right score to get? a 165 is a guaranteed good score, but a lot of schools will take as low as a 150 based on other factors.

2) Extracurriculars. Get involved in undergrad. It gives you something to write about in your admissions essay. It also shows you can multitask and operate in a diverse environment.

3) GPA. Try to have at least a 3.5. This will get you into most law schools when combined with the other 3 things.

4) Know the requirements of the school(s) you want to go to. Have at least 4-5 schools you would attend. One top choice and 4 backups.

When you get into school:

1) STUDY STUDY STUDY!! First year sucks, but if you study hard, you'll be fine, think of it as law school boot camp.

2) Find a clerkship at a firm that might get you a job after graduation. Many larger firms do this, and it will very much help you in your post-grad job hunt. Smaller firms are good to learn from, but your chances of being hired as an attorney there are slim.

3) If you do not find such a clerkship, try to graduate in the top 5% of your class, otherwise finding a job can be very tough.

4) Get involved with your law school trial clinics. (I can explain this more later if you'd like)

5) Network! You can often meet people who will lead you to good job opportunities.

6) Participate in law school social events, law fraternity, etc. They will keep you sane.

7) Smaller law schools (or 2nd/3rd tier schools) are often more like family, and people are more likely to be helpful and provide guidance, whereas big or top tier schools (like Harvard or notoriously: Michigan) people will try to sabotage you and undermine you so as to get a higher grade/class rank than you.

Now mind you, there are many good things about law school. I just feel compelled to warn you of the bad, as I wish someone had told me so I could be prepared. I'm not trying to scare you, just inform. If you have any specific questions about law school or my experience, feel free to PM me or post them here and I'll do my best to help.

:woot: :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"