Legendary's Live Action Mobile Suit Gundam Movie

To go along with my suggestion of him directing an adaptation of 08th MS Team, found this interesting tweet he made from late last year:

Whether he directly adapts this or not, wonder if his film will contain themes and moments of “war is hell” type stuff and have a bit more visceral and ruthless style of Gundam fights. Got a bit of this sort of thing in Kong: Skull Island, so I’m wondering he’ll go even further in his Gundam film.

I think he’ll also do right by the human characters, especially the minor side roles. The characters in Skull Island, my favorites in any of the Monsterverse films, even if they weren’t the most developed and well-rounded, still felt more like people than archetypes, and think a lot of that has to do with little moments of humanity, mannerisms and tics they have throughout the film. Hell, he made me feel for John C Reilly’s character in that 1-2 minute Super 8 short at the end of the film, and he wasn’t even on screen for that long. :funny:

Any director who can do something like that is nothing to sneeze at in my book.

Last edited:

I like Gundam Wing, but I still can't stand Heero Yuy.

"I'll kill you."

*Swoon* "What kind of person is he?!"

Not a better love story than Twilight?

Lol yeah he wasn't my favorite in Wing, outside of Duo and Quatre the others were just angsty blank slates with good backstories that never really amounted to much which is why I think Wing would be prime for a better adaptation.

Zechs and Treize were definitely written better than the heroes but I think the story would be an awesome place to start an adaptation.

Quatre and Duo were a lot more likable at least. Heero would need to be totally revamped for an American audience. He'd need to be closer to Sosuke Sagara than Heero Yuy. Either that or Setsuna.

Personally, I would go with Gundam 00 since I find it more contemporarily relevant.

Best way to succeed is to adapt Gundam Wing. It has some of the most iconic Gundams to date and it's something any millennial who watched Toonami will instantly gravitate to.

The story was also pretty cool, I'm sure they could tighten up vs what the anime had for it, but the themes and elements of it were solid.

Really confident that Bandai is going to push for new stuff, rather than adapting old material. They want new mechs to sell merch off of.

Really confident that Bandai is going to push for new stuff, rather than adapting old material. They want new mechs to sell merch off of.

I'd like to see an adaptation of one of the anime storylines, but those are.....a lot for American audiences.

Give me Amuro and Char and the OYW or give me Death.

Spacenoids vs Earthnoids

Newtypes.

The political intrigue of the Zabi family. The ideas of Zeon Deikum.

Yeah chances are whatever this project ends up being, IF IT EVEN HAPPENS, it will be brand-new characters and a new storyline.

Yeah chances are whatever this project ends up being, IF IT EVEN HAPPENS, it will be brand-new characters and a new storyline.

You're probably right but man I'd love to see Deathscythe Hell given the Pacific Rim treatment as far as seeing a mech in live action.

I mean, even if they are new mechs, they will absolutely take inspiration from popular mechs.

I'm not a huge Gundam fan, but aren't these mechs like 50(ish) feet tall?

The tech and physics of Gundam units and mobile suits are nebulous at best and require major suspension of disbelief. Not to mention, they utilize bleeding edge unrealized technology, beam weaponry, etc. Keep in mind the stories venture out into sci-fi territory with Newtypes.

I think if we’re looking at a list of bullet points of things this film will probably cover, it will probably be:

-New and slightly different but familiarly designed models of Gundams, Zakus, etc., along with some new ones to sell toys and Gunpla kits.

-A brewing conflict between two factions that eventually develops into full on civil war.

-A reluctant protagonist, whom, by chance, discovers the main Gundam and has to navigate themself out of a conflict while having to possibly take the lives of other pilots to avoid death and protect other civilians, all the while having never piloted a Mobile Suit before. Throughout the film, they’ll wrestle with this dilemma of piloting the Gundam and taking the lives of other humans.

-The main character has a few friends that tag along with them in joining the good faction. One of these friends, if not a love interest, is a close confidant to our main character that also serves as their conscience. They also have a story of their own going on in the film.

-The good faction has a ship commanded by a fresh-faced, wet behind the ears Commander who has to put up with the shenanigans of his new crewmates and conflicts with the protagonist on several occasions, but ultimately comes to respect.

-A Char-like rival throughout the film that comes to blows with our main character and challenges them physically and philosophically. They serve the other faction but have a hidden agenda of their own that might conflict with said faction.

-At least one or two space battles, and one or two land battles.

-Maybe some explorations of some Sides and their different environments? Possibly some product placement in a town center on one of the sides or on Earth?

-A slight touching on and exploration of the concept of Newtypes through our main character and their rival, the abilities of which at first are probably displayed in a battle without realizing them.

That’s all I can think of at the moment.

The movie is possibly going to have a mixture of elements from multiple Gundam series.

Live-Action Gundam Film Will Draw Inspiration From Multiple Timelines - Den of Geek

Which I suspected from the start.

So, basically, if someone hasn’t seen a Gundam before, and have heard of it but still wonder what it’s all about, this will still act as a good starting point and they won’t be lost in the woods. A baby’s first Gundam, if you will.

Makes me wonder what kind of focus and tone this is going to have. More grand and space-oriented, like Original Gundam, or more grounded and gritty, like 08th MS Team? Focused on a main story, with a pilot protagonist in the heart of a big conflict, or more of a side story, like War in the Pocket?

So, basically, if someone hasn’t seen a Gundam before, and have heard of it but still wonder what it’s all about, this will still act as a good starting point and they won’t be lost in the woods. A baby’s first Gundam, if you will.

Makes me wonder what kind of focus and tone this is going to have. More grand and space-oriented, like Original Gundam, or more grounded and gritty, like 08th MS Team? Focused on a main story, with a pilot protagonist in the heart of a big conflict, or more of a side story, like War in the Pocket?

It's tough to tell what type of tone it will have. No doubt a majority of the elements they borrow, IMO will be from the Universal Century. But we can't discount Gundam Wing either. Which started Gundam's tenure in the US. Gundam has always been anti-war especially with shows like Gundam 00, Age, and Unicorn. So I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of preachy stuff as well.

Honestly my focus is on the mobile suits. I want them to look like actual mobile suits and function like real machines.

It's tough to tell what type of tone it will have. No doubt a majority of the elements they borrow, IMO will be from the Universal Century. But we can't discount Gundam Wing either. Which started Gundam's tenure in the US. Gundam has always been anti-war especially with shows like Gundam 00, Age, and Unicorn. So I'm sure there's gonna be a lot of preachy stuff as well.

Honestly my focus is on the mobile suits. I want them to look like actual mobile suits and function like real machines.

Already mentioned this before, but a good way for them to help capture the physicality of these things would be to build a life size version of the cockpit section on a remote-controlled on a “The Volume” type set, kind of like what they did with the Razorcrest in The Mandalorian.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"