Legendary's Live Action Mobile Suit Gundam Movie

I guess it was too much to hope for something different than the RX-78-2.

I was looking through some comments in the Gundam reddit in reaction to this, and one of them said it bears a lot of resemblance to the Gundam Alex (Al-ex, Ar-ex, RX, get it?) from War in the Pocket. Also see a bit of Turn A in its design as well, with the roundedness of the head.

It’s worth noting, Vogt-Roberts, in a tweet earlier this year listing some of his favorite Gundam series, cited War in the Pocket as one of his favorites.

And I agree with him, that series is great. It’s probably my favorite out of all of the Gundam I’ve seen, as it’s the most consistently good, the most grounded and the most human. It also isn’t stuck on and absorbed in the usual philosophizing about “why are we fighting?”, Newtypes and weird spirituality that Tomino seems to have a weird obsession with that brings down a lot of Gundam series and causes my eyes to glaze over. If the film he’s making has even a 1/4 of what that series had, I’d be happy.

I guess it was too much to hope for something different than the RX-78-2.

Well, to be fair, he’s setting out to make something that’s sort of an encapsulation of everything that makes Gundam what it is, so I’d imagine he’d want the design of the Gundam in his film to retain the basic DNA of what makes a Gundam a Gundam. Also, pretty much all of the main Gundam models in each of their series, while having their own identity, haven’t strayed too wildly from the original design.

It’s like a pizza. There’s various different types of pizzas, with all of the various toppings, ingredients, flavors and shapes. No matter how you slice it, though, it’s still a pizza.

Unless, of course, you’re the Turn A Gundam, which is like the calzone of Gundams. Still kind of pizza-like, but also kind of it’s own weird thing. Still love that Mustachioed Mech, though.

Also, gonna stop before I bring up the “G” word again. I’ve already lost count.

What the hell, I’ll do it one more time. Gundam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"